Farmington Creek Trail

Farmington Creek Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Farmington, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail for everyone, the elevation gain is not a major factor. However, the trail leading down to the waterfall was too difficult for my 6 yr old to traverse.

Not the trail’s fault but found a rattler about 2 miles in. Went to go try a different fork and reports of rattlers on that trail too. This was on 4/28 late morning. Be vigilant.

The directions for this trail take you to the lagoon trail in Farmington- which you walk on paved trail for about a mile (? I wasn’t wearing a tracker so not sure how far) until you get past Farmington pond and to the actual dirt trail. Next time I will park at the pond park and hike up from there.

Nice solid trail. Too much trash. Not very challenging but enjoyable.

Great winter hike. It's not much of a workout but it's beautiful, especially in the winter because there's almost no people on the trail.

this is my go to hike to get a good workout and get out of my head. was stunning with the changing leaves. now it's definitely naked unless you get up higher. fairly busy on the lower half. seems like most only make it to the first stream. once you pass the big falls farther up I rarely run into anyone. I always take my German Shepard pup with me and meet lots of friendly doggos on the way. we can pound this trail out in under 2 hours with lots of sidetrack exploring.

Small amount of traffic. Fun bridges. Great for family of all ages.

This is the same hike as Sunset Trail. These two entries should be merged. And after taking along an inexperienced friend, I would agree with this Farmington Creek Trail rating of moderate, not "easy" as stated in the Sunset Trail info. Starts at the parking pullout where the pavement ends up Farmington Canyon. Hike just to the falls or continue on to Sunset Campground. Beautiful hike above and through Farmington Creek. Very enjoyable.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Nice cave at the start of the route to take photos in. But it smells like marijuana a little, and ashes from campfire smoke cover the ground, so not recommended to stay and play in it. Just a nice quick photo op.

We enjoyed the old cars along the route, and cooling off in the streams and waterfalls. If doing this hike in the summer, and you're with kids, try to get on the trail early! It's hot and not a lot of cover. Kids tend to set a slow pace. So going in the morning would make it more enjoyable.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

We started around 11 o'clock in the afternoon with a two-year-old, and two seven-year-olds. It took us about three hours to get up to the second Falls and back to the car. The kids enjoyed seeing the rusted out car on the way, walking through the river when it crossed the trail, and climbing the rope down to the falls. Even the two-year-old made it down to the falls (after we fashioned a carrying pack with our backpack). People without kids can probably complete the trail a lot faster, but it was very enjoyable going at their pace. We did not go any farther than the main falls, but will definitely do the hike again! I would guess that the hike to the second falls and back is about 3.7 miles.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Super easy hike. Don't let the length of it fool you. Great trail for beginners!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

I loved this hike! Let me give you my info: I am a beginner who isn't in terrific shape and nearing 50 years old. I thought the beginning was much more pleasant than other trails that have brutal switchbacks. Most of the trail, you are in the shade. (I went in June and we started about 11am) At the beginning, there is a small little cave to your left. You will have to climb up the rocks just a little bit to see it. All the stream crossings were easy. I did not opt to go down to the base of the falls but will definitely do so next time. If you don't like descending the steep trail using a hand rope, there is another option. Some of our group went up higher and to the right, they climbed down a small boulder field type thing. We did not go all the way to the camp site as we had a time limit that day. I will be doing this trail again!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Totally gorgeous! We didn't make it to any cars but we'll be doing it again!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Amazing hike and falls!!

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

5/9/17 - Very little shade for a 5pm hike. It was fine enough. Trail was too narrow to really use trekking poles the majority of the time. Ends at the Sunset campgrounds.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Sun, 5/7- We picked perfect day for this hike:mid 70's, cool breeze, sunny w/occasional cloud cover...sunshirt, tanks & shorts...beautiful wildflowers... raging river & falls... incredible view of Kaysville below...not too steep (we're 50's...you will sweat, so bring water) There is a lot of loose gravel, just took it slow going down. Even our teen didn't complain too much & dog loved it (you cross a couple streams). Will do again!

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

This trail has a lot of loose gravel and rocks. You literally hike straight up the mountain and the trail does get very thin. I would describe this hike as borderline moderate to hard. We brought our hunting dog with us. He loved the hike and smelling everything but he did slide a little bit. There isn't a lot of shade so bring water to hydrate.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Great hike. Nice calm trail for the family.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

I guess this is the same sunset trail, very beautiful, easy hike with shade all the way, it's not busy at all

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

great trail for families. my 4 year old daughter hiked the whole thing without any trouble. Much of the trail has shade and it is well defined all the way up to the waterfall and then a little further up to sunset campground. To get to the waterfall you have to climb down a pretty steep grade but there is a rope you can hold on to while climbing. going down was a bit harder for my youngest two than coming back up. I wouldn't recommend the climb down to the falls for the elderly or really young kids that cannot hold themselves up on a rope yet.

We went all the way up to the sunset campground then back to the falls for the kids to play for a bit before hiking back down. The waterfall is plentiful year round so this is a great hike even for late fall.

Solid 4-star hike.

Monday, September 05, 2016

It was a fun hike. Definitely take your sunscreen or hat, not much covering. Cute little waterfall at the end.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Fun hike!!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

perfect for a Sunday...

Friday, July 29, 2016

The hike is beautiful but will be better in the fall. It was so hot with hardly any shade.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

I don't recommend it for summertime . The trail has almost no shade and some parts are very difficult. You can save 1.5 miles by parking by the reservoir. This trail is not good for children or older people.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Beautiful!

Thursday, June 23, 2016

It was fun. We actually started at the shady Lagoon trail, going through the tunnel and then onward past the reservoir, then over the creek bridge and up the trail. It was super fun, challenging us a few times, but worth it for the view. It was especially rewarding for our 13 year old first time hiker to see Lagoon from the canyon.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

I would've say this trail is easy. From parking at hairpin turn lot, the trail is uphill the entire way and is very narrow and often hairy. It is hard to determine which way to start, there's no trailhead sign. There are two trails going uphill, take either, they both lead to the trail. I wouldn't take young children or anyone with unstable footing. The views are gorgeous and I wish we would have made it to final waterfall, but we encountered rattling rattlesnake on trail about 1/4 mile from it and had to turn back. There are lots of fun lizards to spot, but be careful it could be a snake. Be sure to bring water, and hiking poles would've been good to have. FYI there is no cell service anywhere on trail so emergency such as fall or snake bite would be bad.

Friday, April 08, 2016

Great for all ages. Easy neighborhood access. Fruit to pick along the way in late summer and Lagoon Zoo visibility year-round.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Fun hike, great for 12-13 year old scouts. The ups are canceled out by the downs and keeps you from working too hard. We did an overnighter and should have had someone save a campsite at Sunset Camp Ground before hand as the choices were very limited when we arrived and had to make do with a less than desirable camping location just outside the established areas.