False Kiva Trail

False Kiva Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Island In The Sky District, Canyonlands National Park, Utah, United States False Kiva is a Class II archeological site located in an alcove in Canyonlands National Park. It's also known from the famous photograph by Wally Pacholka, showing the milky way in all it's glory. When you get there you'll be amazed by the silence of the alcove and the view ahead. You'll have a view on the Canyons and the Candlestick tower in the distance. The best time of day to photograph is late afternoon, certainly take a good hour to wait for the good light to drop.

The trail itself is nothing to write home about, but the views from the Kiva are AMAZING. If you're going for sunset, which I highly recommend, take mental notes of landmarks going in. The train in ease simple to follow, but coming out after sunset is slightly more challenging. even if you get off trail a bit, it's easy to navigate where the road is and get back on trail. This place has one of the best sunset's I've ever photographed but if you're serious about photographing it, bring a flash. The cave is set back too far to get enough light to compete with the sky. I cringed every time I pressed the shutter, but this is one of the few spots you'll see a landscape photographer with that goofy light on top of their camera.

lots of rock scrambling .. but so worth it. looks terrifying from a distance at some spots - but I promise it's not that thin of a walkway haha. sunrise hike and the silence was deafening

This was a good hike. Not too challenging, but fun anyway. It's not marked, so park at Alcove and walk back about 100 yards down the road. Cross the road and look for the twisted wood. Stay right and cross over the small canyon you come to. Again, stay right and begin your decent. At the bottom begin looking upward, you will see the trail. The reward is fantastic. We only saw 2 people the entire hike, solitude in a very crowded park! We spent about 40 minutes there, the views and serenity are unbelievable!

Nice trail. Unmarked path!!!

1) Read the previous reviews about the trailhead, not very easy to spot. 2) While I'm sure it is also beautiful at sunset I would recommend going early. On our way in, there were still parts of the canyon that were shaded, which was great. 3) We got a little lost in some spots. You will start off on a flat dirt trail, then hit a rocky area and descend a short bit to another dirt path. We got confused here and thought we were suppose to continue on the rocks, but if you see a dirt path below you, that's the trail you're supposed to be on! That dirt trail will then take you to an area where you start descending into the canyon. You'll be climbing down a rocky path that eventually flattens out a bit. There is a thin trail that leads along the rock edge with a bit of a drop off (completely manageable even for someone w/ a fear of heights). After you walk along that edge, you will get to a couple little trees. Look up around there and you will see paths to the top. I was confused here, because I felt like I could see everything and nothing looked like the pictures! But just make your way up carefully and you will find the Kiva within the highest alcove. 4) I didn't know going in that this wasn't an official trail, but like others have mentioned, it is a designated archaeological site. I loved that it felt like you were discovering a bit of a secret. We saw one other couple and some rangers on the trail on a weekday around 9 am. 5) While the trail itself is relatively short, be prepared. There is a bit of rock scrambling. We spent about 2.5 hours here, and that included getting lost and sitting around for lunch. Once we knew our way out, the trail felt much shorter. Would love to do it again if I had the time!

Awesome hike and incredible views. The end was harder than I realized for my 4 and 7 year old kids with us. Lots of places to slip on the steep decline. We pushed through though and it will be a great memory. Just be careful if you take kids! It will definitely challenge them.

Amazing hike and views. As a bonus we had it all to ourselves!

I can't say enough good things about this Trail. Big payoff at the end with an alcove that looks out over the canyons. The trail is interesting enough in and of itself with some scrambling and navigation challenges along the way. Follow the cairns. Keep an eye out for kids who may roam on their own ahead of you & make sure they are following the cairns as well. Our 6th grader strayed along the way. There's a spiritual feeling in the Kiva alcove that is unique, a hushed awe of what nature provides. If you start at the Alcove Springs pull out parking area and head back up the road on the right side (opposite side), you'll find the trail at the first bend in the road. It's not a guardrail per say, but instead crossed timber logs on the side of the road that serve as a barrier of sorts. The trail starts just on the other side of that. Enjoy and don't miss it.