False Kiva Trail [CLOSED]

False Kiva Trail [CLOSED] is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

closed

PLEASE NOTE: This strenuous and unmarked trail is not easily accessible nor maintained by the National Park Service. False Kiva is a Class II archeological site. PLEASE BE AWARE: Any graffiti, trash and or damage to the ancestral Puebloan ruins is a federal offense and violators will be prosecuted.

Awesome hike with breathtaking canyon views! We've hiked in Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, and Arches, and this hike tops them all. The final scramble up loose rocks is challenging but worth it. We relaxed in the alcove and took in the views.

By far the best hike I’ve done in Canyonlands National Park! Park at Alcove parking lot and walk back about 200 meters to the logs. As you park at Alcove and walk back up the road, the logs will be on the right-hand side of the road. Be sure to notice that the trail path can be more easily identified at THE END part of the logs AS you’re walking up the road from the Alcove parking lot. Follow the cairns from there to the Kiva. Please respect the preserved site on the inner part of the Kiva. The views will totally make the hike worth it.

If it weren't for this App, I'd never had known this trail existed!! We hiked it on 4-3-18. It was so hard to find off the road, but we parked in the Alcove Springs trailhead and luckily found some people who were just returning from this hike and told us where to start. And cell service is very spotty, don't plan to have it at all. You will need to cross the road and head south and you will see the well worn path...carins mark the way from there. Another thing, once you get to the cliff side and it seems the trail dead ends, look behind you and up. We saw people way off trail and no where near the Kiva as they didn't notice the 180 and kept going straight. It's quite the view and well worth the effort to try and find it!!

Trail head is not marked. I drove by it a couple times. Park your car near the logs and walk to it. Trail is well marked once you get going. It’s basically all downhill. I followed All Trails and it looked like I went too far to get to the Kiva but I didn’t. Follow the person’s comments in the review below. Pass the tree hanging on the side of the mountain and there is a switchback. Great views. Probably wouldn’t do it again but liked the hike.

Trailhead begins further back on the road from the parking spaces. You’ll see it covered over with piles of logs on the side of the road. Trail is mostly exposed to sun until you get to the overhang with the kiva. There isn’t really scrambling involved, just a couple of steep spots that could be slick in the event of rain. The cairns are easy to follow and the view is worthy of a long sit. It seems like this is a popular place for sunset photographers (we saw at least 5 professional cameras set up), so be ready to share the space.

We saw four people the entire time. Amazing view! Challenging hike for kids (we had a 6 and 9 year old) but they felt great after they accomplished it.

absolutely incredible! one of my favorite hikes. Make sure to take a GPS or have this downloaded onto your phone.. very hard to find the trail and stay on it! also a helpful tip, every 50 feet or so there are stacked rocks to mark the trail

Took a guided hike with a park ranger. He explained the historic significance of the site, and the NPS efforts to preserve it. Please be respectful while at False Kiva and stay off the structures. The walk up is quite strenuous, on eroding thin switchbacks going up and down, but views and shade at False Kiva are beyond worth the trek. Highly recommend, with caution! Hike is unmarked, and could easily be lost.

Scroll down in the reviews for advice on locating the trail head, once found it’s a very well marked trail and not as scary as it’s made out to be whatsoever. Absolutely stunning views!

What can I say but wow. Went by myself so didn’t stay for sunset. Got a great corona of sun as setting below roof of kiva. Moderate scrambling. Views are other worldly. Lots of payback for the effort!

Tricky to find but a short little jewel once you do

Fairly easy hike until you get to the end, and then is just a little tricky in route finding. I never had to scramble or use my hands to climb at all, and would definitely not classify this as strenuous or hard. Once you see the Kiva, you'll completely pass underneath it -- keep going! Once you go along the edge beneath and pass a tree right on the edge, you'll see a switchback just ahead heading up and back. Take this up and you've made it. Will definitely be doing it again for sunset sometime soon.

It is pretty easy until the end as it becomes rocky and you must climb a little. Our family of 5 completed it quickly though. Insanely beautiful view the entire hike.

Amazing hike but I would rate it as hard. Pretty steep and quite a few rock crawl sections. Also if you have any sort of fear of heights it may not be the hike for you. I loved it and when you arrive at the kiva it is a magnificent view and very gratifying.

Great hike with amazing views! The start of the trail was a bit hard to find. Once you park, cross the street and walk back up the street to find the head of the trail. No markers so just follow the map and the foot path.

Excellent hike, even better view.

Great hike! We went at sunset and hiked back after dark (trail was not difficult on the return with a headlamp). The trail is well marked except towards the end. You descend below the Kiva first then up some switchbacks so if you descend and don't see markers turn around and look up, you'll see the markers and the trail. It was beautiful at sunset. We took a time lapse video of the sun setting. The views were amazing!!

Absolutely loved this hike. It's not public on the park maps, nor is marked on the road, so it's almost like a private hike. We only ran into one other pair of hikers. The incline is a bit sudden and steep, with some moderate scrambling down the rocks but it's more than worth the effort. It got a bit confusing toward the end trying to find the kiva, but look up! You'll find a winding scramble down the rockslide. One of my all time favourite trails.

Make sure to follow the cairns closely.

Absolutely amazing. Not a high traffic trail, which makes it even better!

Beautiful hike! The view was amazing and was a fav of ours on our trip. The trail is well marked, just pay attention to the cairns and you'll be good. The final ascent into alcove is a bit of a scramble but not too difficult, it looks harder than it is. We passed only two other groups of people while hiking. We had our five year old with us and she handled it well. Its a pretty short hike but you are fully exposed so be sure to bring water. If you have questions, ask one of the rangers.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The trail itself is nothing to write home about, but the views from the Kiva are AMAZING. If you're going for sunset, which I highly recommend, take mental notes of landmarks going in. The train in ease simple to follow, but coming out after sunset is slightly more challenging. even if you get off trail a bit, it's easy to navigate where the road is and get back on trail. This place has one of the best sunset's I've ever photographed but if you're serious about photographing it, bring a flash. The cave is set back too far to get enough light to compete with the sky. I cringed every time I pressed the shutter, but this is one of the few spots you'll see a landscape photographer with that goofy light on top of their camera.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

lots of rock scrambling .. but so worth it. looks terrifying from a distance at some spots - but I promise it's not that thin of a walkway haha. sunrise hike and the silence was deafening

Friday, June 16, 2017

This was a good hike. Not too challenging, but fun anyway. It's not marked, so park at Alcove and walk back about 100 yards down the road. Cross the road and look for the twisted wood. Stay right and cross over the small canyon you come to. Again, stay right and begin your decent. At the bottom begin looking upward, you will see the trail. The reward is fantastic. We only saw 2 people the entire hike, solitude in a very crowded park! We spent about 40 minutes there, the views and serenity are unbelievable!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Nice trail. Unmarked path!!!

Friday, June 09, 2017

1) Read the previous reviews about the trailhead, not very easy to spot. 2) While I'm sure it is also beautiful at sunset I would recommend going early. On our way in, there were still parts of the canyon that were shaded, which was great. 3) We got a little lost in some spots. You will start off on a flat dirt trail, then hit a rocky area and descend a short bit to another dirt path. We got confused here and thought we were suppose to continue on the rocks, but if you see a dirt path below you, that's the trail you're supposed to be on! That dirt trail will then take you to an area where you start descending into the canyon. You'll be climbing down a rocky path that eventually flattens out a bit. There is a thin trail that leads along the rock edge with a bit of a drop off (completely manageable even for someone w/ a fear of heights). After you walk along that edge, you will get to a couple little trees. Look up around there and you will see paths to the top. I was confused here, because I felt like I could see everything and nothing looked like the pictures! But just make your way up carefully and you will find the Kiva within the highest alcove. 4) I didn't know going in that this wasn't an official trail, but like others have mentioned, it is a designated archaeological site. I loved that it felt like you were discovering a bit of a secret. We saw one other couple and some rangers on the trail on a weekday around 9 am. 5) While the trail itself is relatively short, be prepared. There is a bit of rock scrambling. We spent about 2.5 hours here, and that included getting lost and sitting around for lunch. Once we knew our way out, the trail felt much shorter. Would love to do it again if I had the time!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Awesome hike and incredible views. The end was harder than I realized for my 4 and 7 year old kids with us. Lots of places to slip on the steep decline. We pushed through though and it will be a great memory. Just be careful if you take kids! It will definitely challenge them.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Amazing hike and views. As a bonus we had it all to ourselves!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

I can't say enough good things about this Trail. Big payoff at the end with an alcove that looks out over the canyons. The trail is interesting enough in and of itself with some scrambling and navigation challenges along the way. Follow the cairns. Keep an eye out for kids who may roam on their own ahead of you & make sure they are following the cairns as well. Our 6th grader strayed along the way. There's a spiritual feeling in the Kiva alcove that is unique, a hushed awe of what nature provides. If you start at the Alcove Springs pull out parking area and head back up the road on the right side (opposite side), you'll find the trail at the first bend in the road. It's not a guardrail per say, but instead crossed timber logs on the side of the road that serve as a barrier of sorts. The trail starts just on the other side of that. Enjoy and don't miss it.