Fairyland Loop Trail

Fairyland Loop Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bryce, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Fairyland Loop Trail begins at Fairyland Point, at the northern portion of the park, and takes you through spectacular hoodoos and scenery along the rim and into the canyon; including a spur trail to Tower Bridge. The Fairyland Loop Trail also includes a portion of the Rim Trail from Sunset Point to Fairyland Point. This hike is considered hard due to its length and meandering trails with multiple elevation changes. It is best to carry plenty of water, 1 quart (liter) for every 2-3 hours of hiking per person, as this hike typically takes 4-5 hours round trip over the 8 mile (12.9 km) length. In the summer sun screen or large brim hats are recommended and are even a comfort year round to avoid sunburn.

Go as early in the morning as possible to avoid the heat in midsummer. Watching the morning light fill the canyon is a treat.

We began around 7:30 am, and were able to park at Fairyland Point. This was an ideal starting point because it broke up some of the more intense climbing, and also provided us an opportunity to pause at the General Store 2.5 miles into the loop traveling counter-clockwise. We chose counter-clockwise based on recommendations we read here and that is sound advice! Starting early as we did, we were able to watch the sunrise as we worked the Rim trail portion of the Loop, and it is truly other-worldly! Spectacular views of the hoodoos and canyons on one side, forests and what almost feels like plains on the right for several miles before you descend into the canyon. Though the trail is rated 'hard', it was our experience as women of varied average to above average levels of fitness within our trio, that the most difficult section was mile 6.5-8 but was otherwise very accessible. Be ready for that serious climb in full sun around mile 6! Also, even subtracting our .25 side trip to the General Store, we felt this trail was longer than the 7.4 miles listed. We were able to complete the full loop, including the General Store break, in just over 4 hours. There was also a small stretch around mile 5-6 where you will experience drop-offs on both sides of the trail, nothing razor thin like an Angel's Landing, but if heights are a problem for you, I'm not suggesting you avoid it, but be ready to do some mental work and power stepping for about twenty feet!

If you hike counter-clockwise from Sunset Point, you will begin by descending into the amphitheater. Once in the amphitheater the trail is mostly gentle slopes and is well defined, though rough at times. Depending on the season, there are several places you may need to ford moving water. You can take a brief detour to the Tower Bridge formation if you like. Eventually you will find yourself on a moderate-strenuous climb to Fairyland Point on the rim, and will continue on the Rim Trail, which is mostly gentle but has a couple more moderate-strenuous climbs and then descents. The views are spectacular! You get up close and personal with beautiful hoodoos and the most incredible vistas you could ask for!

Fantastic hike. I'll agree with the folks saying this should be your one big hike in Bryce if you only have time for one. Much quieter than the main amphitheater trails, and just as spectacular. We hiked it clockwise and loved it. I'm sure it's great both ways, but it was fun to walk along the canyon rim at the end and point out all the places we'd been.

Extremely good hike. Be ready for a lot of elevation changes, not just the initial down and up. Aside from being exhausted around the 6 mile mark, this was my favorite hike that we did at Bryce. Definitely recommend taking plenty of water, my girlfriend and I did the hike in a little less than 4 hours and we only go on hiking trips a few times a year. Just as everyone said, there was the store about 2.5 miles when going counter clockwise, which is a good place to refill any water bottles and water packs and getting food if you havent packed enough. Best views of the park in my personal opinion, definitely worth the hike!

My favorite hike in Bryce! So beautiful and less trafficked then the other hikes in Bryce. There are no restrooms or water at the fairyland canyon starting point. I suggest hiking counter clockwise which will start you on the rim trail. About 2.4 miles in you will pass by the general store on the right where you can stop for water/restrooms. From there drop down into the canyon and enjoy!

Def a five starrer...this hike has a lot of ups and downs (kinda like life) but was oh so magnificent, inspirational and lots of other things. I think my homes and I finished in about four hours and started at sunset point. My fav part was the lack of tourism in this loop that allowed for some full on hoodoo intimacy. Park guides wear orange and kinda camouflage in but are super helpful if you needs things. Still so impressed with how Utah has organized the influx of humans into their national parks...this hike was a for sure must for lovers of nature. Go, bring lots of water, wear sunscreen, and prep to surrender to the hoodoos.

Really moderate hike. One of the longest hikes you’ll find in the park which was nice. Start off walking around the rim of the amphitheater looking down. Then you go down and walk with the hoodoos. Pretty great way to experience the best of Bryce

This has been our best trail so far in Bryce Canyon. It really does look like a fairyland. Go early to beat the heat

Fantastic trail with significantly less traffic than some of the other hikes in this area. We did the loop counter clockwise as the climb looked easier that way. Well worth your time. We started at Sunset point.

Out of this world landscape - a must see for anyone. Pities don’t do it, you must hike it!

Hot! Clockwise has steep climbs

Amazing! Go left at the Fairyland trail head for a perfectly timed bathroom break at the camp store at about 5 miles in. Dress appropriately, there is little shade.

This is the hike to do in Bryce. Unreal views, nice moderate challenge, and quiet without any crowds. Did it on 6/10 at 8am and wasn’t too hot. Took exactly 3 hours without breaks. Went counterclockwise which I think affords better views. Love me a good loop like this one.

Might be one of my favorite day hikes of all time. Spectacular!

Great trail, and there's a picture around every corner. I would rate it somewhere between moderate and hard, as the only real reason it would be considered strenuous would be the length, along with the heat makes it somewhat difficult. Awesome views from just about everywhere you hike on this trail. If you go clockwise the uphill to sunrise point will be a little less steep, than going the other way. Took us just a little over 4 hours with a few stops along the way.

Magnificent trail - could have been more technical since the trail is fairly well groomed.

Hiked this trail 5/30. It was very hot, but the trail is amazing. We started at the trail head just outside of the park and went the entire 8 miles. My parents weren't able to complete it as it is a strenuous hike. They ended up stopping at the general store near sunset point and waiting on me to bring the car around.
We started out going counter clockwise which seemed the better option. It was stunning, huge elevation change though. You start along the rim of the canyon and end up at the bottom among the hoodoos. Then climb up to another rim before dipping back down again and ending with a tough climb back up to the rim that leads you to another 2.5 mile hike along the rim to the parking lot again. Absolutely amazing. Would definitely do this again, despite the intensity.

A spectacular hike. We hiked this trail via Bridge Tower and then Rim Trail to Sunrise. Pack water. With an 11 year old it took us 4.5 hours to complete. Well worth it.

Hiked on 5/26/18. Really nice trail, paved the whole way but great views the entire loop. Would rate easy but we hiked on a cooler overcast day. Best time to go would be around 6 pm after crowds are gone.

This part of Bryce is spectacular with a large variety of formations and views. We did this hike counter clockwise, starting from Sunrise Point. I would rate it as somewhat strenuous going that direction. I will do this hike again!

quieter but just as scenic

This was not an easy hike, even in early May it was mid 70's and was pretty exhausting. Beautiful scenery and takes around 4 hours. Recommended if you have the time but do it on a cooler day!

Fabulous scenery the whole way around. I'd call this a more "moderate" hike than "hard". We did this one day and the "Figure 8" loop another day. Scenery on both was great, but Fairyland loop has less hikers on it, so if you want to feel like you have the place to yourself, this is the loop to do. It's a 4 hour loop is you're taking lots of pictures. Note: If you're just visiting for one day and are not planning to go into the rest of the park, the parking lot for Fairyland Point is outside the pay station, so you can do this hike "for free" if you want. I wouldn't recommend it - you should really see the vista from Sunset Point at a minimum.

We did this hike while visiting Bryce Canyon on 5/3. The weather was perfect (60 degrees), sunny skies. It took us about 4 hours to complete the loop. I would rate it as a moderate hike. Amazing views every corner you turn. Everyone should do this hike if they get the chance. I highly recommend it. Bring lots of water, sunscreen, sun hat and pack a lunch/snack as you’re gonna want to stop so that you can really take in the beautiful scenery. We picked a nice spot near the junction of sunrise point to eat lunch.

'Wow' views around every corner. Long, without being too strenous. Great for taking pictures. Wear extra sunscreen because hardly any shade.

Hiked loop on April 28. Park Ranger recommended starting at at Fairlyland parking lot. Got to trailhead at 8:30am and started heading north. Beautiful descent into canyon with hoodoos galor. It was my brother's first time in southern Utah and he was in awe with the views. It's like being on Mars or something! Pretty light traffic the whole hike. About half way through starts the ascent back up to the rim trail. It's a good, long uphill so we took a few, quick breaks. Once up on the rim, we breaked for lunch just past the campgrounds. From there, the final 3 miles are relatively flat. Total time was 5 hours (including breaks), with probably 4 hours hiking at a very average 2mph.

Gorgeous, stunning views at every turn. The descent at Sunrise Point is spectacular (1.5 miles down to Tower Bridge). If you decide to start at Sunrise, just know that the Rim Trail back from Fairyland Point is pretty much all uphill.
Best front country trail in the park

Beutiful trail. Not a lot of people, gorgeous views, no mules. Easy trail for half a day.

Gorgeous hike; started from Fairyland Point at around 8am in late April, worked clockwise and saw very few people till I neared the Rim Trail. It'd be easy to blaze through the very well-trodden path, but this is definitely one hike that deserves some awestruck strolling.