Escalante River and Fifty Mile Creek

Escalante River and Fifty Mile Creek is a 13.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kanab, Utah that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking.

This hike is above the cliffs of Fifty Mile Creek, Willow Gulch and Lake Powell. This goes to an overlook for some incredible photography opportunities. The hike itself is difficult and somewhat scenic as you zig-zag through the sandstone hills (looked like petrified dunes). Backpacking at it's best. There was water available in various depressions in the sandstone throughout the hike so a filter will come in handy.

I have not ventured much into this trail, but it appears to be difficult and remote, so I gave 5 stars because of that and because the trailhead is very well marked by a road sign right before mile marker 74 on scenic byway 12.
Not even 30 steps into the trail I was met with a rather tall overhang of the mountain. The only way to climb up there was to conquer a boulder the height of my chest. Considering I was alone and with a fractured toe, I opted out right there. But hope to come back one day and conquer this trail. If you are in a great physical shape and looking for solitude with no hikers on the way, this is the one!

Monday, April 25, 2016

Saturday, December 19, 2015

My track was above the canyons of Fifty Mile Creek and Willow Gulch. Not in the actual canyon. Based on zero footprints and documentation on the internet there will be a lot of peace and solitude on this trek. The rivers below are probably not accessible but I didn't search for a way. The track I took and recorded goes to a Lake Powell / Escalante River overlook for some incredible photography opportunities. I have rated this 5 because of the payoff at the destination. The hike itself is difficult and somewhat scenic as you zig-zag through the sandstone hills (looked like petrified dunes to me). Backpacking at it's best. The very end of the trail is where I camped. There was water available in various depressions in the sandstone throughout the hike so a filter will come in handy. Not sure at what times of year they contain water though. Enjoy.