Escalante Natural Bridge

Escalante Natural Bridge is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escalante, Utah that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 291 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

This is a fun trail that requires multiple river crossings so be prepared to get your feet wet. It can be HOT and sandy in summer. along the south side of the canyon walking you'll first come to the natural bridge, then to petroglyphs, then to a jughandle type arch all on the south side of the river, all fairly close together. for an easy added treat when done, walk to the southeast corner of the concrete bridge adjacent to the trailhead parking lot - there's an easily visible (but inaccessible) granary on the south side of the creek (directly below the formation Kiva Koffehouse sits on), viewable while standing on the pavement

recorded Escalante Natural Bridge

Great easy hike! River crossings are a special treat for us, we can't do that very often at home (Netherlands). Trail is easy to follow, and some special treats as the natural bridge and the arch.

Great trail. At least river crossings. We wore old hiking shoes and just walked through. A little sandy with tall weeds but we wore long pants so no problem. My gps said 1.7 to the bridge and 2.4 to the arch. Love the Canyon walls. Don’t miss the Indian ruins on the left about 13 minutes past the bridge

Partial hike. Pretty.

Lots of stream crossings. Go past Escalante to nice ruins and a Natural Arch.

So I think this would have been fantastic as a river walk. My son & I got hot on the trail an started walking in the river after the 2nd crossing which was great except the rest of our family didn’t know we did it and turned back looking for us. Don’t make our mistake: start before 10am and if it’s hot, hike in the river instead.

The trail is somewhat underwhelming in my opinion. The canyon walls on either side of the river are very nice, but most of the trail is a sandy path with lots of sage brush and other overgrown vegetation. It has more of a forest feel to it as opposed to a high desert hike. Some people may really like this, but I did not enjoy it that much. the trail is not well maintained, but easy to follow. if you like walking through 4-6 foot under growth, then this is the trail for you. there are some nice sections, but most of the hike was not for me.

The sand is a bit of a slog, but the variety of sites along the way make things interesting.

The water was a bit high for my dog to cross. She can't swim to begin with so was more like an anchor. We went under the highway for the first crossing and ended up turning back near the second.

This is just a fun hike! Enough river crossings to make it entertaining.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Loads of fun! We took the trail up and the river walk back, if the water isn’t too high we would highly recommend it. The natural bridge alone is worth the trip but the granary along the left canyon wall is the best we’ve seen in two weeks of exploring Utah! Keep hiking until you’re tired of wrestling with the sand, pop into the river for a cool, leisurely and solitary walk backcourt

Trail starts at the Escalante river trailhead. First river crossing is about 50 yards into the trail. Sand is deep, so makes this trail slow going. Water feels refreshing. I just wore a pair of shoes that I didn’t mind getting wet. Swapping out for each crossing would suck. After Natural Bridge, watch for the Indian ruins and a jug handle arch on your left. I tracked it as 4.6 miles. Feel free to dm me if you have questions @anderson.outdoors

Sun Jul 01 2018

Yikes wish we had read Doug’s post from last year , we only hiked to the bridge , not knowing about the arch , dwelling, or petroglyphs beyond the bridge .Start early , we hiked early afternoon & it was a scorcher ! The multiple water crossings were cooling, but not deep , so we kept crossing bare/footed which slowed us down as we put hiking shoes on/off. Long stretches of this trail are full sun & deep sand. We found ourselves rushing to each shady spot for relief .The sand definitely slowed us down. Look forward to repeating this hike just earlier in the day & continuing further.

Tue Jun 12 2018

Great hike and super dog friendly. Lots of place for the pup to cool off. Only thing I’d do different is bring river shoes. I went barefoot after the second crossing or so and the sand does get plenty hot.

Mon Jun 11 2018

Lovely, relaxed hike through sand and 4-5 shallow river crossings. The natural bridge at the end is towering and majestic. The babbling stream cooled our feet, and around every curve, a stunning, different canyon view appeared.

Mon Jun 11 2018

Good hike, great scenery. Trail follows the river so if you or the pups get hot, wade on in. The water was a great break.

Sun Jun 03 2018

Fun hike and nice to stop and play in the water. The sand gets HOT! Took my two small kids. We didn’t make it all the way, because they wanted to stop and play in the water and sand.

Wed Apr 25 2018

Fun hike!

Mon Dec 04 2017

pretty, but hot and sandy in summer

Sun Oct 01 2017

Great trail! Five river crossings, so be prepared. We had a lot of fun though.

Sun Sep 03 2017

Great trail for kids. We took our three kids 5, 7, & 10 years old. Bring sandals! 5 creek crossings each way.

Wed Aug 16 2017

Easy and great because you can get in the water when hot. Be careful of the rocks you sit on in the water though, I saw tiny leaches on them!

Mon Jun 26 2017

Wish the trail woulda been marked. We ended up going to the petroglyphs by accident, which I'm glad we found those. But we had started out looking for this trail. You will be going in and out if the stream a few times so wear shoes you can get wet

Mon Apr 17 2017

Excellent Hike, easy and very rewarding. Four water crossings back to the bridge, but that is just the start. Unmentioned, you cross the river on the north side of the arch, if you continue 15 minutes further on the social trail you will be led to a large hieroglyph panel, Sunset Arch, and a Fremont cliff dwelling When you arrive at the cliff dwelling, the hieroglyph is at the top of a small rise on your left. This also places you at the base of the arch, but to see it you cross the river one more time and walk 3 more minutes and is comes into view on your left.

Sat Oct 15 2016

Nice stroll along the river, a few semi-deep river crossings so wear sandals or water shoes and shorts! No difficulty whatsoever but pleasant + nice bridge. Our intro hike to Escalante!

Mon Oct 25 2010

Great area to hike. I went there twice this year and going back next year.