Ensign Ridge Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(94)
Ensign Downs Park

Ensign Ridge Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,020 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A good hike if you're short on time and need a quick escape. The beginning was a little crowded but once you make the turn away from Ensign Peak Lookout there were very few people.

Made this into a longer loop rather than the 2.8 out and back. The initial climb is pretty solid to where the trail "ends" and you turn around. I continued onto an ATV trail or two and eventually ended up on some singletrack before linking up with the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Made for nice 7+ hike with very few people (especially after the first .4).

winding trails go further than 2.8 miles. beautiful views!

It’s a tough and steep hike up. I’d recommend being in decent shape. You do get a short break about half way up. The views at the top are worth it. Steep and loose rock trail make the descent tricky.

This review will be for those of us who are out of shape, lol! The start of Ensign Peak is easy to find. You can easily search on Google & follow GPS directions. There is no parking lot, you must park on the road. Which, this is a residential area so please be respectful of the local residents. I haven't been hiking in a few years & let me tell you, this IS a hike! A short-ish hike, maybe 30 mins or more but, no more than an hour. It's a steep path all the way to the top. Thankfully I arrived a little before 7:00am & there was a nice cool morning breeze. A little note: Please be prepared & bring yourself some water, good tennis shoes, a good camera/camera phone & be aware of the extra altitude. I've lived in Utah my whole life, I'm used to our high altitude but, this is going to be even higher than your used to. Back to the review; On my way up, I lost my breath rather quickly, due to the extra altitude. I pushed myself to get to either the broken poles in the ground or to a fence pole before I stopped for a second to catch my breath. I made sure to pace myself & take small steps. The trail is dirt & rocks so, watch your step. During your trek up the trail, be sure to embrace the views. The higher you get, the better the view. When I arrived at the top of Ensign Peak, I was excited for the stunning view. I got there just after sunrise. I could see the Salt Lake Valley, Utah State Capitol, The Great Salt Lake & more! It's a very beautiful view! Time for a little honesty: I must admit, I was a little annoyed by the amount of girls at the peak who were there taking their "Instagram" shots & making phone calls. I was hoping by the time I'd get to the peak, the people there would be heading back down so I could get my own photos of the view but, unfortunately, they were still there when I headed back down. Maybe I'm being too harsh but, you'd think people would have manners & let others take photos of the plaques & the beautiful view. Instead, I felt like I was in their way & I had to accept someone's water bottle & jacket in one of my photos because it was left right in front of a plaque while they took photos of each other. Next time, I will try coming a lot earlier or maybe for a nice evening hike, I'll come for a beautiful view of the sunset. Continued review; On my way down, in my opinion, it's a lot easier than the hike up. However, just as walking uphill has it's own consequence, the burn, walking downhill has it's own consequence as well. It might be different for others but, for me, I was getting a whole other workout. An easier workout but, it was harder on my knees & I had to go slower & walk to the side to avoid slipping on gravel or lose rocks. Not a big deal but, something to be aware of. Before I got to the bottom, I took the Vista Mound trail, which is a paved sidewalk path to another view point. The view from this point is of the valley & The Great Salt Lake. I was very disappointed to see a scorch mark all around the vantage point, along with trash & an unopened beer can. The plaque is also vandalized with scratches & tags. I hope someday, they can afford to replace these plaques & maybe set up a monitor system to deter vandals. I really don't like seeing something so beautiful & meaningful be destroyed by children & adults who have no heart for history! I headed back down to the begining of the trail, where the flags are flown & the staircase begins. There, before you head up the trail or on your way out, you can stop & enjoy the round wall with several plaques there for you to read & learn why Ensign Peak is. All in all, it was a great experience! I got a great workout, I got my heart pumping, I seen some beautiful views & I got some good photos! It was a great morning for a hike & I hope if you've never been to Ensign Peak, you try it! I would recommend you come in the evening, before sunset or early morning, before 8am, after that, there will be no shade as there are no trees on the path, only grass & brush.

this is a 30 min hike to the top a little steep but the view is fabulous sunsets are amazing from here as the sun dips into the great salt lake good for a date not too hard

Sat Apr 27 2019

Sat Apr 13 2019

Sat Dec 15 2018

The trail was very muddy today after this week snow started to melt. The trail had nice view to the east of snow capped mountains. Didn't care for the constant roar from the traffic on I-15

Sat Sep 01 2018

This was a great hike. The guide says 2.6 miles but my step meter said about 3.5. The first part to the peak-ridge fork is steep and I had to stop several times to catch my breath. At the first fork, you take the trail on the right. If you see red dirt, you’re in the right direction. Keep going to the top of the first peak then take the trial straight ahead. It’ll look like a mountain biking trail. Then it’s a nice relatively level hike through some trees and shade. At some point the trail forks again. The mountain biking trail continues down and to the left. The ridge trail go up and to the right. It’s super rocky and pretty steep so I had to stop a bunch of times. You go to the first peak and then down a little and back up to the final peak. It’s pretty exposed in that last stretch. Amazing views though. I saw a hawk, dragonflies, bees, and a ton of grasshoppers.

Fri Aug 24 2018

I made it to the fork between the peak and ridge trails. It was thundering so I had to turn back before I could start hiking the ridge trail. There are actually three trails at the fork. One toward the peak to the left, a small toward the canyon in the middle, and one toward the ridge on the right. I went up the right trail and saw that it extended along the ridge. So I’m pretty sure that’s the trail. I’m going to have to try it again when there isn’t a thunderstorm.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Pretty views, good chance for solitude. Trail not marked well—I wasn’t sure towards the end whether I was still on it.

Tue Apr 03 2018

loved this hike. great views. took all my kids. it's kinda steep but they were troopers.

Wed Mar 28 2018

So we’ve always wondered about the path that forks to the right at the top of the hill instead of heading left to the Ensign Peak monument. So we took it today. We only went as far as the top of the next big hill, and it was really worth the view. Hard enough to challenge the kids (15, 11, 9, 8), but doable on this cold, windy Spring morning. So proud of my kids!

Tue Jan 30 2018

I highly recommend this hike since it gives such a great view of The Valley.