Ensign Peak Trail and Overlook

Ensign Peak Trail and Overlook is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice short hike, awesome views of the Salt Lake Valley and Great Salt Lake This is a nice, easy trail most hikers, regardless of age or experience, would find enjoyable. The trail is well maintained and the awesome views of the Salt Lake Valley below begin almost immediately. The trail winds behind the peak and ascends up a moderate slope on the back side. The views from the back side are incredible, especially at sunset. The Great Salt Lake can be seen in the distance to the northwest. As you climb to the peak, the entire Salt Lake Valley can be seen below. The view from Ensign Peak is spectacular anytime, but sunset is by far the most ideal time for this hike. The view of the sunset combined with the cool evening breeze and the glittering city lights below make this a hike well worth taking and the minimal time and effort involved make it worth taking often!

I used to live here for 5 yrs and I work out a minimum of 3xs/wk... and had to pause for a sec due to the incline. So "Easy" I wouldn't consider this. I'd say a "moderate" trail, because if you have any type of knee problems the incline/decline may be tough for you. (Know this because I was with someone in the past who has this, so I'm aware of the terrain of trails).
Love that it's a quick hike to an awesome view!! So worth it - fast gratification!

Fun short hike with a great view of the city at the end!

Really muddy/steep trail at beginning of April - but fantastic views. Check out our review on our Vlog: https://youtu.be/8DbgATi2XB0

Short hike with a good view of the valley. A bit steep towards the end.

go to ensign then head east to the upper most radio towers, its a great hike an a great view.

If you want to enjoy the sunset in a quiet place, you have to try it.

Short but steep. Beautiful view.

Great views of the city!

Great city view, try it night time...

Good short hike! Only took me around 35 minutes and I’m a beginner. A little steep on the way up but worth the view!

Fun little hike. Steep, but short. Cool history behind it and nice view of the city!

Great trail for a quick hike. Beautiful view of the Salt Lake Valley!

Good short warm up for the hiking season

Muddy muddy. Short, but rewarding.

It was a nice quick hike to beat the haze... really pretty cloud views. My puppy loved it and it wore him out

It seems there has been a lot of work done on this trail this year. Since our last visit a month ago, we noticed parts of the trail have been widened. It had recently rained, then dried out, so the trail had been remolded by footprints and the widening made the trail packed down a bit. We also noticed additional fencing on the hill itself. It doesn't look as natural as it did even several months ago.

Fun little trail that gives out a huge view of the city. We set foot on the trail for sunrise and was stunned that we were solo on the trail. Great site for magpies and deer.

Nice easy little trail.

We carried our 18-month old in a carrier this most recent time and she said "wow" when we got to the top. I've done this Trail three times (once at sunrise, once during the middle of the day and once at sunset) and I think sunset was my favorite! This is great hike to take out of town guests and gauge their fitness level before heading out on tougher hikes.

Very fun trail for families with kids. Took family with 4 kids (ages 4-11) and had a great time. Highlights of the trip were seeing a Jerusalem cricket that looked like an alien and a large tarantula. I had no idea there were tarantulas in Utah...

Views from the top are amazing!

The trail itself was steepish and short, not really very interesting, but the view of the Salt Lake Valley was beautiful, worth the time. Good trail for family hiking for all but the youngest.

Good to take out of town folks to.

I've done this trail quite a few times, but the nature on the way up isn't my favorite. I prefer being surrounded by green trees. But very worth the view.

Great little hike if you're trying to get a hike in with little available time. Wonderful views of the city and recommended for those that might be trying to get back in shape. Take water and sunscreen as the trail is fully exposed to the sun.

Really nice short sunrise hike! Beautiful views of the city.

It would be nice if people didn't leave their trash around. Overall it was an okay little hike up.

Beautiful city overlook but in the eveings it's usually way way crowded. It's not shaded so bring a hat if your going during the day. The trail probably should be paved, it's pretty dusty and worn down. Super convenient for SLC tourists though.

Steep, but short. Lots of spots during the hike to stop and take breaks and enjoy the view.

Short hike with a climb. Great hike to do after work.

Pretty views. Very windy at the top. Easy hike.