Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Ensign Peak Trail and Overlook

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(1205)
Memory Grove Park

Ensign Peak Trail and Overlook is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice short hike, awesome views of the Salt Lake Valley and Great Salt Lake This is a nice, easy trail most hikers, regardless of age or experience, would find enjoyable. The trail is well maintained and the awesome views of the Salt Lake Valley below begin almost immediately. The trail winds behind the peak and ascends up a moderate slope on the back side. The views from the back side are incredible, especially at sunset. The Great Salt Lake can be seen in the distance to the northwest. As you climb to the peak, the entire Salt Lake Valley can be seen below. The view from Ensign Peak is spectacular anytime, but sunset is by far the most ideal time for this hike. The view of the sunset combined with the cool evening breeze and the glittering city lights below make this a hike well worth taking and the minimal time and effort involved make it worth taking often!

Small local trail with great views of Salt Lake City. Steep elevation up for cardio work.

Easy hike. Good for beginners. Great views of the valley and salt lake.

The hike is pretty short in a good way. I loved that we were able to see an awesome view so soon. Although it is short, I would argue that ascending to the top is pretty brutal with how steep it is. But the suffering isn't too long.

Great view of the SLC area!

Good hike. Steeper and harder than you expect if you haven’t done it before. Awesome view.

Great, relatively quick hike, especially for a novice hiker who may be visiting Salt Lake.

I love this hike. today will be my #day6 of hiking this trail non-stop. I go there everyday due to the challenge i have entered! #30DayHikingChallenge and this is by far my favorite place to hike. I went to Donut Falls hike and boy it was my first n last time there thank you SLC/Ensign Peak for giving me something to do with my life during this pandemic lol

This trail has changed from the last time I’ve done it. They’ve definitely made it more easier. It’s a short and quick hike with a steady elevation. Great city view from the top. This is a good hike for the mornings and nights.

Fun and easy.

It was a short hike but I wouldn’t say it’s easy. Parts are hard for younger kids. Sun hits hard, take a lot of water. The views are great.

Not a bad little hike if it was any longer I would consider it moderate.

A quick, easy hike for the whole family. The trail is impossible to get lost on and the views of the entire valley are spectacular.

My dog and I went hiking for the first time to this place a few days ago. We really enjoyed it!! It’s a 15min hike if you chose the right way of the trail. You can see the view of the salt lake valley is pretty awesome. Bring water to keep hydrated. I do not recommend this trail for elderly people.

This is NOT an easy trail. I don't know why this shows ”easy.” This is more of a moderate trail because of up and downhills. And rocky trail. However, I like this trail to see the beautiful view of Salt Lake City. I would come back again with sunscreen on.

As busy as a shopping mall. Great views of the Salt Lake Valley. My kids love this trail.

Lots of people! Nice views.

Always a favorite- went up for the sunrise this morning and the conditions were perfect!

Beautiful quick hike as always. The route is exposed almost the whole time after the first .1

I loved the trail, it was great. The landscape is awesome! I want to come back to see the sunset.