Ensign Peak Trail and Overlook

Ensign Peak Trail and Overlook is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice short hike, awesome views of the Salt Lake Valley and Great Salt Lake This is a nice, easy trail most hikers, regardless of age or experience, would find enjoyable. The trail is well maintained and the awesome views of the Salt Lake Valley below begin almost immediately. The trail winds behind the peak and ascends up a moderate slope on the back side. The views from the back side are incredible, especially at sunset. The Great Salt Lake can be seen in the distance to the northwest. As you climb to the peak, the entire Salt Lake Valley can be seen below. The view from Ensign Peak is spectacular anytime, but sunset is by far the most ideal time for this hike. The view of the sunset combined with the cool evening breeze and the glittering city lights below make this a hike well worth taking and the minimal time and effort involved make it worth taking often!

We took our 5 year old boy and 2 year old girl. Our son loved hiking the way up. Our daughter didn't make it very far before she wanted to be held. I underestimated how steep the hike would be (yes we're beginners) so carrying her up was quite a task. My son (this was his first hike) slipped on the way down (like I said, it's steep) which helped to prove my point to him (stay on the trail and with mom and dad) but also scared him enough to not want to come back.

Pros to this hike are the views of the salt lake valley and historical context. Great hike for a family with little ones. My 20 month and 3 year old walked almost the whole thing. Cons loose gravel that makes the footing a little unsteady. Overall a nice easy hike and doable with little kids!

Short and quick workout. There are various routes to get there. If you're a beginner, scare of heights .. I recommend following the original (longer) path.

Easy, little steep and great views

Paul Swenson is Missing. Please help us. Call police at 801.763.3020. Red hair, 6'0" tall. See the picture posted for full view of who he is. Or call 801.330.5772