Ensign Peak Trail and Overlook

Ensign Peak Trail and Overlook is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice short hike, awesome views of the Salt Lake Valley and Great Salt Lake This is a nice, easy trail most hikers, regardless of age or experience, would find enjoyable. The trail is well maintained and the awesome views of the Salt Lake Valley below begin almost immediately. The trail winds behind the peak and ascends up a moderate slope on the back side. The views from the back side are incredible, especially at sunset. The Great Salt Lake can be seen in the distance to the northwest. As you climb to the peak, the entire Salt Lake Valley can be seen below. The view from Ensign Peak is spectacular anytime, but sunset is by far the most ideal time for this hike. The view of the sunset combined with the cool evening breeze and the glittering city lights below make this a hike well worth taking and the minimal time and effort involved make it worth taking often!

Good view and well maintained. Very steep (treacherous decent if you aren’t sure-footed)
Unfortunately there is a ton of graffiti along the trail and at the peak- so sad that people can be so idiotic.

One of the easiest trail in Salt Lake City. The view from the top was amazing and the I went at the time of sunset, so to witness that was simply beautiful. I strongly recommend this short trail.

Short easy hike but the view of the city is beautiful. Especially at night. Such a breath taking site.

Spectacular view of the Salt Lake City valley. It says easy and it is, but don’t think small chillins and their grandparents are gonna find it easy.

BUT, if you are in town for a short trip and need a fix for a super view that’s very accessible; drive the 5 minutes from downtown and you will love it.

Very short hike but the views are amazing at sunset of the city.

Short but very rewarding hike.

Super easy! Kids can do it!! Is uphill all the way, but not too bad. Great view of the whole valley! It can get a little crowded at sunset.

Beautiful view for a short hike. Well worth it!

Great Hike. It was great weather this past Monday.

short but we'll worth the view

Simple and Relaxed Hike. Beautiful view of valley and great salt lake. Amazing hike for sunset views.

Short and somewhat steep walk up on a well marked trail. It wasn't very crowded which surprised me because it is a holiday weekend and the weather is excellent. The views are very nice at the top. It's close to the capitol building so we stopped by there and walked around after the hike.

It was fun, strapped on the 2 year old and my 4 year old navigated it well! Great views want to come back and watch a sunset!

Great hike for kids, and great views of the Salt Lake valley.

I absolutely loved exploring these trails! It was my first hike in Salt Lake City and it gives a very good view of the city and the downtown area! I suggest everyone go check this out already once!

Super short easy walk!

Classic, very easy hike with a good broad view of the city.

Easy and great views!

Short little hike with beautiful views of the city!

Great Trail! Lots of people on the trail and with the addition of the wood fences the trail is easier to follow and less confusing. The trail is steep but it wasn't too hard for me while I was carrying my 20lb baby. My baby enjoyed seeing all the dogs and walking around at the top. Make sure to take water and a snack or two. The trail is steep but you'll see lots of different people on the trail so you can feel safe. There are yellow wild flowers on the trail as well.

This short hike offers specatucalr views of Salt Lake City and is a great trek for the whole family. Plan to come back with my better half and a bottle of wine to enjoy a sunset =)

This was our first trail hike in Park City. It was easy and had lots of families enjoying the trail at every turn. Lots of kids and dogs. A very wide open trail with little shade along the way but it’s a fairly short hike, you don’t really need it. Cool views from up top!

Easy, but steep. Nice secluded trails off the main pathway. Less crowded than the main trail and goes up higher than the main trail. Beautiful views of the city.

Beautiful hike and gorgeous city views.

Recorder left out the first section of my trip. However we hiked from my downtown hotel to Ensign Peak. A very pleasant walk through well manicured neighborhoods before starting on the trail. Spring flowers were blooming everywhere, and the grass on the mountain sides is lush and green. It was such a nice day we decided to scrap our out and back plan. We looked out and hiked over the next peak. On the next peak we could see the City Creek Canyon, and a series of trails that could get us down to the stream before making our way back to the hotel.

Quick and easy! I recommend going to the right at the fork in the trail for an alternative view and less crowd

Overweight beginner hiker. I think "Easy" means "short." I felt it was a good first hike for me and although challenging in some area's,it was still gratifying to make it up and down on my own. If you have knee issues this will challenge that,as it is steep! If I can do it most should be able to. I went on a Sat at 830 in the am, very little shade! As the hotter months come, I would go way earlier. Going earlier would mean less people also. Traffic on the trail was getting heavy as I was coming down.

Great short hike with view of the city

I used to live here for 5 yrs and I work out a minimum of 3xs/wk... and had to pause for a sec due to the incline. So "Easy" I wouldn't consider this. I'd say a "moderate" trail, because if you have any type of knee problems the incline/decline may be tough for you. (Know this because I was with someone in the past who has this, so I'm aware of the terrain of trails).
Love that it's a quick hike to an awesome view!! So worth it - fast gratification!

Fun short hike with a great view of the city at the end!