Emigration Canyon Ridgeline Trail

Emigration Canyon Ridgeline Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

Second half of trail is very poorly maintained. Trail turned from road to decent trail to deer path to thick brush to nonexistent and impassable. Neat views of Salt Lake City and Emigration Canyon, but my ambitious group could not find a way to the final peak that would not have required a machete.

Uncrowded - didn't see a single person during my run. Fun climbs/descents with a couple pretty steep sections.

It's a moderate trail with one or two slick sections as one gets to the steeper parts. I did not go all the way to the city view.

Only hiked half of it and turned around. Glad I did because it started hailing/snowing right after. Then the sun came back out. Nice trail though! Lots of sunflowers and gorgeous views. The hike is pretty steep on parts of the section. You can see the city and the Salt Lake on a section of it. I will definitely go back in the summer and hike all of it!

scenic driving

Showshoed to the peak about 2.6 miles into this trail. The last 3/4-1 mile breaking trail. Lots of wildlife tracks in the snow and a couple of beds where a Moose spent some time. Great view of the Southern and Northern Salt Lake Vaiiey

Great for snowshoeing!

I usually love a good ridgeline, but somehow this one didn't speak to me. The lower section I guess is easy, but once you start to climb up above the marked "start" point of this hike (even though having it be the start point makes no sense) it's moderate, and the trail quickly fades (or at least that was what I found in 2015). It does have nice views down both sides, but is a low enough ridge that the views aren't really expansive, and there is no shade. I guess I'm just spoiled ;-)

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Saturday, July 02, 2016

There are some nice views, but very little shade. Good early spring hike.