Emigration Canyon Ridgeline Trail

Emigration Canyon Ridgeline Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

It's a moderate trail with one or two slick sections as one gets to the steeper parts. I did not go all the way to the city view.

Only hiked half of it and turned around. Glad I did because it started hailing/snowing right after. Then the sun came back out. Nice trail though! Lots of sunflowers and gorgeous views. The hike is pretty steep on parts of the section. You can see the city and the Salt Lake on a section of it. I will definitely go back in the summer and hike all of it!

scenic driving

Showshoed to the peak about 2.6 miles into this trail. The last 3/4-1 mile breaking trail. Lots of wildlife tracks in the snow and a couple of beds where a Moose spent some time. Great view of the Southern and Northern Salt Lake Vaiiey

Great for snowshoeing!

I usually love a good ridgeline, but somehow this one didn't speak to me. The lower section I guess is easy, but once you start to climb up above the marked "start" point of this hike (even though having it be the start point makes no sense) it's moderate, and the trail quickly fades (or at least that was what I found in 2015). It does have nice views down both sides, but is a low enough ridge that the views aren't really expansive, and there is no shade. I guess I'm just spoiled ;-)

There are some nice views, but very little shade. Good early spring hike.

I absolutely love the north east side of this trail. the hiking was easy going and there was a great variety of flowers, trees and wild life. the views are amazing. I can't wait for the leaves to start changing, I will definitely be up there again.
the south side of the trail was fine enough but most of it looked the same and there's almost no shade. its pretty hot.
I love this area and I can't wait to do more of the nearby hikes.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Great hike, I love the options here, seems like endless country lies before. The views are amazing and you start at a high elevation, so there isn't really too much climbing involved. Beautiful!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great hike on a sunny 70 degree day. Lots of sunflowers, balsam arrowroot, mule ears, larkspur; beginning wall flowers, bluebells, paintbrush at higher elevation. There is a trail intersection at approx. 3.4 m with no markings and 4 groups of hikers came through and wondered what trail went where. Very confusing. I continued upwards to what likely was the "look out" I'd heard about. This was a group of craggy rocks you can sit on and dangle your feet in the air. Trail continued, but I saw no need to go further. The view from this Look Out was breathtaking. With info from other sources, I think round-trip was 10+ mi.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great Beginner Trail; nothing technical; however as many have mentioned it can get very steep and up and downs will tire you out if you're new.

There is ample parking at the trail head; you'll know you're there as there appears to be a pumping station and there is also bathrooms. Seems to be a stopping point for a lot of bikers and motorcyclists.

For the first ~1.5 miles of the trail definitely seems like it was some type of service/fire road as its two track; a little further it narrows a bit; but the trail is very easy to follow.

About 2.5 miles in you'll get your first view of SLC; which is where we ended up turning around as we had several people who had never been on a hike before and were tired.

Great views of Emigration Canyon and also I-80; if you headed further up looks like you could get even better SLC views.

Headed out on Memorial Day; and was lightly trafficked (saw maybe 3 other groups total; 7 others?) cell service was present the whole time if your concern is safety.