Emigration Canyon Ridgeline Trail

Emigration Canyon Ridgeline Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

Hiked this yesterday and it was lovely. With this warm weather in November, the trail is dry with the exception of the top, shadow section of the mountain. It’s a little muddy but not bad at all. *There were a lot of bow hunters*

Several comments about poorly maintained trail are accurate, but much farther along than half way. I would say 3/4 or more of the way the trail is fine. I took my family on this hike thinking it would be a gradual climb up to Perkins Peak since the elevation gain over 4 miles is listed at 2500 feet. Gradual is no where to be found on this trail. It is many fairly steep vertical climbs and descents repeated over and over. Several of the family turned back at 2 miles and the rest that didn't go all the way turned back at 2.5 miles in. If you just hike to the 1st summit (about 2.6 miles from the trail head) it's actually a fairly pleasant hike and decent view of downtown SLC from there. Hiking all the way to Perkins Peak is difficult as you'll descend and ascend multiple peaks (I believe 6) before you even reach Perkins Peak at the end. There are not any good decipherable trails to the top. Wearing long pants is a must as you'll be scrambling through thick scrub oak. Hiking back was difficult as there were still several ascents to get back to the trail head. I would have preferred a hike like Grandeur Peak or Mount Wire Big Beacon better with just ascending to the summit, and only descending back down the mountain. The constant up and down was not my preferred style of hiking.

Second half of trail is very poorly maintained. Trail turned from road to decent trail to deer path to thick brush to nonexistent and impassable. Neat views of Salt Lake City and Emigration Canyon, but my ambitious group could not find a way to the final peak that would not have required a machete.

Uncrowded - didn't see a single person during my run. Fun climbs/descents with a couple pretty steep sections.

It's a moderate trail with one or two slick sections as one gets to the steeper parts. I did not go all the way to the city view.

Only hiked half of it and turned around. Glad I did because it started hailing/snowing right after. Then the sun came back out. Nice trail though! Lots of sunflowers and gorgeous views. The hike is pretty steep on parts of the section. You can see the city and the Salt Lake on a section of it. I will definitely go back in the summer and hike all of it!

scenic driving
Saturday, January 07, 2017

Showshoed to the peak about 2.6 miles into this trail. The last 3/4-1 mile breaking trail. Lots of wildlife tracks in the snow and a couple of beds where a Moose spent some time. Great view of the Southern and Northern Salt Lake Vaiiey

Monday, December 05, 2016

Great for snowshoeing!

Monday, September 05, 2016

I usually love a good ridgeline, but somehow this one didn't speak to me. The lower section I guess is easy, but once you start to climb up above the marked "start" point of this hike (even though having it be the start point makes no sense) it's moderate, and the trail quickly fades (or at least that was what I found in 2015). It does have nice views down both sides, but is a low enough ridge that the views aren't really expansive, and there is no shade. I guess I'm just spoiled ;-)

Saturday, July 02, 2016

There are some nice views, but very little shade. Good early spring hike.

Monday, June 27, 2016

I absolutely love the north east side of this trail. the hiking was easy going and there was a great variety of flowers, trees and wild life. the views are amazing. I can't wait for the leaves to start changing, I will definitely be up there again.
the south side of the trail was fine enough but most of it looked the same and there's almost no shade. its pretty hot.
I love this area and I can't wait to do more of the nearby hikes.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Great hike, I love the options here, seems like endless country lies before. The views are amazing and you start at a high elevation, so there isn't really too much climbing involved. Beautiful!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great hike on a sunny 70 degree day. Lots of sunflowers, balsam arrowroot, mule ears, larkspur; beginning wall flowers, bluebells, paintbrush at higher elevation. There is a trail intersection at approx. 3.4 m with no markings and 4 groups of hikers came through and wondered what trail went where. Very confusing. I continued upwards to what likely was the "look out" I'd heard about. This was a group of craggy rocks you can sit on and dangle your feet in the air. Trail continued, but I saw no need to go further. The view from this Look Out was breathtaking. With info from other sources, I think round-trip was 10+ mi.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great Beginner Trail; nothing technical; however as many have mentioned it can get very steep and up and downs will tire you out if you're new.

There is ample parking at the trail head; you'll know you're there as there appears to be a pumping station and there is also bathrooms. Seems to be a stopping point for a lot of bikers and motorcyclists.

For the first ~1.5 miles of the trail definitely seems like it was some type of service/fire road as its two track; a little further it narrows a bit; but the trail is very easy to follow.

About 2.5 miles in you'll get your first view of SLC; which is where we ended up turning around as we had several people who had never been on a hike before and were tired.

Great views of Emigration Canyon and also I-80; if you headed further up looks like you could get even better SLC views.

Headed out on Memorial Day; and was lightly trafficked (saw maybe 3 other groups total; 7 others?) cell service was present the whole time if your concern is safety.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Great hike! Amazing views will do again!

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Good to run. Trail seems to be an old service route for a gas line or cell towers.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Some fairly steep sections but generally fairly easy going. If there is snow, it gets less compacted and therefore harder to walk on the further from the trailhead you go. Snowshoes would be a bonus, especially on a warm day. Nice views of the valley (well, today of the inversion) but nice to get out of the smog!

Thursday, October 08, 2015

NO DOGS ALLOWED! Everything online says otherwise but there are signs posted at the trailhead showing no dogs allowed. Trail overall rates pretty easy with some moderate and steeper climbs as well as some tricky descents when the rock is wet. Beautiful hike that doesn't take too long as long as you're used to hiking.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Gorgeous! It isn't too strenuous and offers stunning views of Emigration and Parleys Canyons. It was perfect for train running and wasn't crowded at all.