Emerald Pools Trail

Emerald Pools Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Zion Lodge, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until December.

A paved trail to Lower Emerald Pool and from there a sandy and rocky trail to the Upper Emerald Pool at the base of a cliff. Trail starts from Zion Lodge, crosses bridge and paved trail leads to the Lower Emerald Pool and waterfalls - there are multiple pools here. From there a sandy and rocky trail climbs to the Upper Emerald Pool at the base of a cliff. Interesting statistic - more people have been killed on this trail than any other trail in the park - even Angel's Landing, so be careful!

Incredibly crowded trail, we even went late in the day and it felt like walking around Frontierland in Disneyland. Paths are paved and easily accessible for small children and strollers, virtually anyone. This is a heavily trafficked trail by a lot of non-hikers in jeans and loafers, not a lot of trail etiquette, so pack your patience. Views are nice but hard to enjoy. Swimming is not allowed even though several parents were allowing their kids to swim or bathe, not sure which.

Sad to see so many recent reviews saying it's too crowded to enjoy. When I was there in June 2016 it was crowded at the lower pool but the middle and upper pools were nice and we were treated to the sight of some deer drinking from them. They weren't emerald colored though, I suppose from people trying to swim in them.

another amazing trail only you can find in Zion!!...just love everything about Zion National Park. will go back for sure.

A lot of people on this hike

A ton of people and the pools weren’t that great.

Loud crowded and not much to see

Our favorite trail while in the park

Easy hike but the pools are far from
Emerald

Waterfall and upper pool were beautiful. We went early and it wasn’t too crowded. When we headed back down around 12:30 it was packed. My kids (3, 8, 10) had no problem doing this hike.

Miserable with all of the people on it. Waiting in Line in both directions. Still must be in spring break

Very crowed, was Spring Break before Easter, this hike was like standing in line for most of it.

The trek was very crowded. The pools were not impressive at all. I would only recommend this hike to beginners or people who don’t want the elevation of other Zion hikes.

It was good beginner hike trail for my kids. Going up was not so easy for the boys but they enjoyed it!

The pools themselves are a little underwhelming. We did Kentaya to the upper pool, then the Emerald Pool trail down. Tons of people! Great views of the canyon. Good if you want something light.

crowded and the pools aren't too impressive

Started off with this easy hike the first night we arrived. Gorgeous views and we were the only ones there. Breathtaking.

Steep trail in areas. Definitely busy! If you are the type of person who hates it when others do not follow the rules posted on signs you will hate it when make it to the pools. The sign says not to swim in the pools, but of course, you will see plenty of people doing this anyway.

3 friends and I hiked this one after a harder hike. Beautiful views leading up to it, but the pools themselves were alright. It was cooler at the top so we cooled off then headed back. Moderately challenging because of all the rocks on the trail, but worth it!

We went after an overnight snow storm. The snow was melting and the water volume was up because of it. The falls between the middle and lower pools had three different falls, with quite a bit of water volume. The upper falls was simply amazing. When you tried to stand by the upper pool, you were getting drenched, it felt like it was creating its own wind, and you felt very chilled.

This trail had way to many people on it for me to give it more than 4 stars. It was a true traffic jam at times between the middle falls and the upper fallls.

Easy hike , beautiful when we went, three waterfalls overhead so amazing

I’d imagine this hike is a lot prettier in the summer with more vegetation. The trail up is pretty and you get to see the falls that come from the pools above (falls isn’t the right word its more line streams that run off the side of the rocks). I’m definitely glad I did it but on my next visit I plan on choosing new hikes to explore instead of this one.

Pretty good views and definitely a must do if you come to Zion...however, do not attempt after doing angels landing

We did the full loop

This was a great easy first day hike and introduction to Zion. We went there in march in the late afternoon and the weather was fantastic. We also did it as a loop - took the grotto trailhead, then the kayenta trail that connects you to the emerald pools. We went to all 3 pools and the upper was the most spectacular at this time of year. We took the emerald trail back down to the lodge. I highly suggest doing this loop as the scenery on the kayenta was great and way better than just the emerald pools trail. Thank you to all who mentioned doing this loop!!!

I was not overwhelmed with this trail. Being the beginning of March there was no real water flow, but the canyon walls were pretty as were the few views of the park. Very very busy, and I did it in the morning. Probably wouldn’t do it again, but I am glad I can say I did it. Suitable for all ages!

This was our first stop in Zion and we made a loop by hiking the Kayenta to the Grotto trail, back to the lodge. The lower pool is easy to get to and gets increasingly difficult the higher you go. The upper trail view is gorgeous and totally worth the climb!

This was our fist hike in Zion. We made our way back by Kayenta Trail to the Grotto trail. It was a fun hike and the snow made it even more interesting. Easy first day hike.

We did this trail as our first hike in Zion. It was very pretty but very busy. We saw both the Lower and Upper Emerald Pools. We talked with a park ranger who was hiking the trail at the same time as we were. He suggested taking the Kayenta Trail after the pools and then the Grotto Trail to make a beautiful loop.