Emerald Pools Trail

Emerald Pools Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until December.

A paved trail to Lower Emerald Pool and from there a sandy and rocky trail to the Upper Emerald Pool at the base of a cliff. Trail starts from Zion Lodge, crosses bridge and paved trail leads to the Lower Emerald Pool and waterfalls - there are multiple pools here. From there a sandy and rocky trail climbs to the Upper Emerald Pool at the base of a cliff. Interesting statistic - more people have been killed on this trail than any other trail in the park - even Angel's Landing, so be careful!

Dreadfully full of tourist families, this trail is crowded at any time but very early in the morning. There are more scenic trails elsewhere in the park, but this would be a good one for families with small children or the elderly.

This was the first trail that we did in Zion and it was a bit of a let-down. If you have a half-day to explore after arriving late, it's not a bad trail to take, but I don't think you should go out of your way to walk it.

We did this trail pretty early to avoid the crowds and heat. The first pool was the prettiest in my opinion. The other two were pretty dry and not worth the time and effort to get to them. The hike was still a nice hike

Did this trail on March 1st, with 2 kids who really loved it. Easy, fun to walk behind the waterfall. Go all the way up to really make it worth it.

Easy- the pools are underwhelming after angels landing and the narrows, but a great way to see the canyon nonetheless. Family friendly, wheelchair friendly to the first pool. Aggressive squirrels at the upper pool looking for food.

We went on a very hot after hiking the Angels Landing hours before, so that took some of the fun out of experience for us.
Even with it being a rough hike, the pools were amazing. Don’t stop early, must get to top pool!!! Be warned: The hike seems much longer than it is.

Not one of my husband and I's favorites of our trip but wasn't bad either. Just not as spectacular as others we did. At the upper pool, the view up is pretty neat though! Small waterfalls, the trail goes under/behind one and the mist felt nice in the heat. We started at the Kayenta trail and took it down to the lower pool trail to the lodge.

Very Easy, seem to be very kid friendly. Waterfall was a disappointment, since it was a small drizzle. But over all, it wasn't a bad hike.

Nice hike! Kids loved the waterfall.

Meh

I hiked with my family and youngest child is 6 and my mother whom is in her late 50’s. We are a moderately active family and go on hikes at least once on month minus my mother. As you get off the shuttle bus, start walking left and continue to follow the signs marked emerald pools. You end up crossing the street, walk over a iron bridge, which makes for great photo ops. Then proceeded hiking to the Lower emerald pool. Very nice paved path. It was a little hard on my mother but still very do-able for her at her own pace. Once you reach the lower pool (which turned out to be my favorite) there is some areas with water trickling down the sides of the wall face. Which felt so great on a warm day. Note you cannot swim in emerald pools. If you wish you can proceed to the middle emerald pool and for a lil more of a challenge continue to the upper pool. It was nice but if you aren’t in good shape stick to the lower emerald pool. Like my mother opted as well, she was too tired to proceed. If you decide to proceed it is an slight challenge and the paved path turns into steps and climbing over some rocks but path is very well marked. My favorite was the lower pool.

great trail for just wanting to relax and take in the scenery. The pools are beautiful and are a great spot to eat a snack and just kick back for a while.

There isn't a bad trail in Zion. This one was an easy hike. We hiked both the upper and lower emerald pools. As with all of the hikes we did in Zion, we got out on the first shuttle and it made a huge difference in crowds and temperature. Beautiful!

We were here in the off season and it snowed. The hike was very pretty and offered some good views, but the pools were rather anticlimactic. I think the trail would be better enjoyed in the spring when everything is in bloom or in the fall (just not winter). I would also recommend going after a good rain - the water running off all the falls would be an amazing sight I'm sure and that would make this hike much better.

If you’re a beginner hiker than it’s a decent trail. Definitely a tourist trap, lots of people! The high foot traffic takes away from any of the fun. The pools are more like puddles which is a little disappointing. If you want to do something easy and to go for a nice walk than it’s fine. If you’re looking for something more challenging I would choose a different trail.

Yes, its short and busy, but oh so beautiful. Don't miss this one. Photos cannot do the cascading water justice.

Fairly easy hike with some beautiful scenery along the way. The pools are pretty unique!

Nice trail. Worth the hike to the upper pond!

Very busy trail and the pools were a bit disappointing, more like puddles. Still a nice walk

Easy hike though we did it from Gorge to Lodge to make it a little longer. Very crowded, but pool is nice to see. As others said, river is better

Not really much to see but not a bad way spend 1-2 hours on a Sunday morning pool we’re ok but the river is way better

Easy trail with good views!

An easy hike, good for families with small children. Otherwise, not worth your time provided you have even the slightest skill at hiking. The pools and accompanying views are lackluster and unimpressive, the trail is absolutely crowded due to the ease of traversing the full emerald pool loop. Your time is better spent at some of the other hikes.

This trail is not terribly interesting and the pools were very low and disappointing. I wouldn’t spend any time hiking this trail.

Unimpressed. Emerald pools were almost nonexistent. I guess I was imaging beautiful green water, not the case. Lower is easy, middle and upper have a lot of stairs. Good if you want a short hike, we went along the Grotto trail after the pools, walking on that ridge line was nice.

Follow me on Instagram for pictures of the hikes and other adventures @wildrumpfie

A moderate hike with resting opportunities next to very small waterfall pools. Maybe because it's not a strenuous hike, the 'traffice' is heavy. The waterfalls were also small (end of April).

Incredibly crowded trail, we even went late in the day and it felt like walking around Frontierland in Disneyland. Paths are paved and easily accessible for small children and strollers, virtually anyone. This is a heavily trafficked trail by a lot of non-hikers in jeans and loafers, not a lot of trail etiquette, so pack your patience. Views are nice but hard to enjoy. Swimming is not allowed even though several parents were allowing their kids to swim or bathe, not sure which.

Sad to see so many recent reviews saying it's too crowded to enjoy. When I was there in June 2016 it was crowded at the lower pool but the middle and upper pools were nice and we were treated to the sight of some deer drinking from them. They weren't emerald colored though, I suppose from people trying to swim in them.

another amazing trail only you can find in Zion!!...just love everything about Zion National Park. will go back for sure.

A lot of people on this hike