Learn more

Observation Point via East Rim and East Mesa to

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1055)
Zion National Park

Observation Point via East Rim and East Mesa to is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Carmel Junction, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Length 7.1 mi Elevation gain 2,788 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (9)
Contact
Tips
Getting There

NOTE: This trail is currently closed due to rockfall. For more info, please see https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/conditions.htm This is a strenuous hike to the highest point in Zion National Park. You look down on Angels Landing and have a sweeping vista of the main canyon that makes up Zion. It is a stunning view. The trail has many steep switchbacks without shade. Hiking early is best to avoid the sun on your ascent.

Bring plenty of water-preferably a backpack with a water reservoir-and some protein bars or other snack that you can enjoy at the Point. I did this hike at the end of September 2010. It was quite chilly in the morning and the wind was blowing very hard. I wore shorts and had layered my upper body. By the time I was at Observation Point, I was glad I wore my shorts and that I had on a short sleeve shirt under the layering. Hiking boots are good to use, but I did see people walking in sneakers. With an 8 mile hike, I think boots are almost a pre-requisite. I don't like hiking poles, but for those of you that do, I recommend you bring them along. Cell coverage in non-existent in much of Zion. When you are at the Point and in the higher elevations, you should have service. The trail is well marked and is quite obvious.

Park (or get off the shuttle bus) at the Weeping Rock parking lot/trail head. Cross the bridge, and take the trail to the Hidden Canyon/East Rim Trail, not the Weeping Rock trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1055)
Photos (1572)
Recordings (413)
Completed (3249)
Rodd Golshan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
Hiking

An amazing and very scenic route and not to rough on the body. Had to go through the East mesa trail since the main road was closed. Very difficult to navigate to the trailhead, so be sure to be prepared beforehand. Overall, the best view of Zion in my opinion.

Chris Nguyen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 02 2020
Hiking

Fun trail. Hiked it at dawn and no crowds. Love the view of the valley from this vantage point. Happy hiking!

Leo Stockham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 24 2020
Hiking

A super fun hike. Did it through the canyon and another time through the upper part of Zions on the mesa. Only thing that will get to you is the switchbacks. A lot of them

Kenzie Beal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 16 2020
Hiking

This trail is currently open via the East Mesa trailhead. The road to the trailhead requires high clearance most likely as it's quite rocky. Overall the hike had a good amount of shade and was pretty mild until the end with some uphill bits. Not strenuous at all but the long distance does get to you. Highly recommend and I think this is far better than Angels Landing or other hikes in Zion.

Michaela Porubanova
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 11 2020

absolutely stunning hike. we started hiking around 5:30 to get to see Zion for sunrise. unforgettable trail. you get to see Zion up close. the trail is relatively easy for a person used to hiking.

Tara Klein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 08 2020
Hiking

Did this back in July 2018 and was one of the most memorable hikes of my life. For me it was very strenuous, especially coming from sea level, and because it was about 100 degrees that day and there was little shade along the way. There were times close to the top when I thought I wasn't going to make it due to the heat and altitude, but the top viewpoint was so worth it and I felt like I had really earned it. Scenery along the way was also beautiful and changed constantly, and there was a shadier level section where we could take a break. I ran out of water as I was getting to the top, which is the first time that ever happened to me! But I was ok since down was faster and cooler. Highly recommend for a good challenge.

Milo Fortier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2020

My wife, three teenage boys and myself tackled this hike on our second day in Utah. We are from Western Michigan, which couldn't be closer to sea level. The first mile or so was difficult as we had not acclimated to the elevation. After catching our breath the remainder of the hike was absolutely amazing. We hiked this trail in the middle if July. Bring plenty of water and energy snacks to fuel your trip. You will not be disappointed when you reach the top. It is breathtaking.

Kyo Jade Stone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 17 2020

Better than the Angels Landing Trail

Lonnie Saechao
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 06 2020
HikingNo shade

Did this hike in 2015 and it was amazing then and I’m sure still amazing now. Looking to go back to Zion as soon as this quarantine is over. Bring lots of water, a shady hat, sunscreen, snacks and a binocular because the views on the top were breathtaking! Trail is easy to follow but is definitely a trek up. Less crowded than the infamous Angels landing trail (which is still on my bucket list) but read that the views were better and it did not disappoint. Be safe.

Daniel Clausner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 12 2020
Hiking

My wife doesn’t like heights so after doing the Canyon Overlook Trail, which we barely survived together, I was given the all-clear to do Observation Point via Hidden Canyon and East Rim as an Up and Down trail run on my own and which I completed in 1:30 of run-time. The switchbacks at the beginning of the trail were the hardest part, and as the valley floor shrunk away, I found myself sucking in air and sweating by the end of them, really wondering if I could complete the challenge. But they came to an end at last, and after turning into a pleasant slot canyon, bathed in orange in the late day sun, I hit my second wind, coursing through the canyon spaces on the deserted trail (guess everyone was at Angel’s Landing?). The next section was epic: cutting up and back along a soaring white mountain, with the trail often edging a precipitous drop to the valley below. I felt like I was running on the border between two worlds: one of air, represented by the blue sky and the gulf of space, and one of rock, solid and immovable. Eventually the abyss was left behind, and the trail flattened out into a surprisingly smooth sloped grassy area—this was the last stage before Observation Point I found out later, but I tore through it so quickly I failed to notice the land falling away on either side until there I was, at Observation Point, with the whole valley extending below in toe-tingling glory! Here I stopped to give what could only be described as an Aerial Benediction—a giving of thanks to whatever force dreamt up and created Zion (even if it was raw nature), to my living legs and lungs, which had carried me thus far, to the very air and rock which surrounded. After watching the sun set the valley ablaze in its dying light, and after catching my breath with the very few other people (hikers and back country campers) up at the top, I turned around for the descent in the purple twilight. If going up was physically hard but spiritually uplifting, going down was easier in terms of endurance but more treacherous overall—I had to take extra care with foot placement, and more than a few times slid on rocks that were less secure than they seemed. When I got down to the valley it was dark and I was exhausted but I will remember those twists and turns and vistas my entire life. For experienced trail runners attempting the up and down, I recommend: bringing a small backpack with water and a granola bar or two, bringing a headlamp (if your descent will be after sundown), and wearing dedicated trail shoes with grippy studs (I wore Brooks Pure Grits). Also you should look at a map before attempting because there is a branch off after the slot canyon that’ll take you far into the outer reaches of the park if you accidentally take it.

Emily Lassen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 11 2020
Hiking

I really love this trail - I know Angels Landing is more in vogue but this one has so many spectacular sections that deliver on amazing Zion views. Slot canyon sections, beautiful views and peaceful red stone. The view from the top is worth it!!!

Zundel Molifua
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 01 2020
Hiking

Great views up top! Lots of incline. I prefer this hike over Angels Landing. Less people and better views.

Mandy H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Nov 02 2019
Hiking

Challenging but very rewarding views at the end!

Cheyenne Sugar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 13 2019
Hiking

a beautiful trail. extremely steep switchbacks in the beginning, tons of gain but unbeatable view at the end.

Chryssie Arabatzi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 19 2019
Hiking

Unique landscape. Magnificent views!

Kensey Nichols
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 29 2019
Hiking

We did this last summer and it is so worth the switchbacks. Beautiful view. It was very hot and sort of intense though so bring a lot of water.

Christopher Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 27 2019
Hiking

Great views, especially after the first half going up. After a challenging first 3rd, some shade comes with the gulch section. The later parts are quite exposed, though when we went the trail was not too busy. The lookout at the end of the trail provides simply spectacular views down Zion, and looks down on angels landing. 100% would hike again. (Keep an eye out for rare Californian Condors here, which have been known to nest in the cliffs at big bend)

Bobby Pfefferle
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 13 2019

Trail is closed 7/13

Mi Chał
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 07 2019
HikingNo shade

Great hike, awesome views ;)

Madeline Kamler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 06 2019
Maria Sikaffy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 02 2019
Hiking

Views as far as the eyes can see!!!

Maria Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 30 2019
HikingRocky

Probably the best trail in Zion! The view from observation point is outstanding! Could be snowy and slippery during the winter.

Heather Mcanarney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 24 2019
Hiking

beautiful hike. the trail head was closed due to rock slides from weeping rock so we started at the east Mesa trailhead. it was a really pretty hike I would say about half of it was shaded pretty flowers ,steep drop offs the last mile or so. the view takes your breathe away it is so beautiful and not busy at all

Christopher Sweetman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 14 2019
HikingRocky

Awesome trail. We took the east rim trail to observation point. Saw almost no one. The few people at the point came from the east Mesa trail. It took about 12 hours from the east rim trail to the point and back. Absolutely worth it. This was in June 2019.

Evan Alexander
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 03 2019
Hiking

You don’t know what peace is until you’re sitting at Observation Point looking out and all you hear is the wind blowing. Perfection

Brody Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 27 2019
Hiking

Did this one a few years ago. Awesome views with lots of switchbacks. A good pull up the mountain but well worth it.

William Schultz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 20 2019
Hiking

Did this hike a year ago and it still resonates how beautiful the view is. Not nearly as "dangerous" as Angel's Landing, but way more strenuous! If you can, and you have the car to do so if the road conditions are muddy, take the East Mesa Trail. You have to exit the park going East, but it's a way easier trail for the same view.

__________ __________
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 05 2019

excellent trail

Maggie Mumper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 01 2019
Hiking

Took this trail as an alternate route due to rock fall on Weeping Rock trail (I think that’s the name?). I was determined to see Observation Point despite the closure. Do not be mislead, this is a difficult hike. It took us roughly 5.5 hours from Stave Spring trail head to Observation Point and back. There are many exposed switch backs and this route involves making your way down into the canyon, through Echo Canyon, and all the way back up the mountain to Observation Point. The view at the end was worth it, but plan to take many breaks.

View Maggie's Recording
Daniel Rossi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 29 2019
Hiking

Super nice hike. Views up there are awesome.