East Rim Trail to Observation Point

East Rim Trail to Observation Point is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Carmel, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

This is a strenuous hike to the highest point in Zion National Park. You look down on Angels Landing and have a sweeping vista of the main canyon that makes up Zion. It is a stunning view. The trail has many steep switchbacks without shade. Hiking early is best to avoid the sun on your ascent.

Beautiful and full of unexpected sights. Well worth the climb to the overlook.

Died

I did this hike back in April. Best experience I’ve ever had. That was my favorite hike in Zion and over all, I’ve done a lot but that was the best. It was long and strenuous but, if you put your mind to it you can definitely do it. Loved this hike!

Top top top! Dis it in 4 hours starting at the sunrise last October, it was absolutely fantastic!

Solid hike. I was able to get to the top in about 2 hours. I went early around 8am, the traffic was super light. Tons of people were coming up when I walked back down around 1030am. I’d do this and really any trails in Zion early. Trail was easy, but I hike a lot. It gets steep and has some drop offs that you would not survive if you fell, there are no rails but the trails are wide enough for two people to pass each other comfortably.

Amazing view ! Absolutely stunning. So worth it !!

Lots of uphill but doable. Stunning views. was fun to look back on Angels Landing where we had hiked the day before.

A longer hike and definitely has some less than exciting points along the way. Longer and higher but culminates with a view looking down on Angel’s Landing

Very difficult hike but great views and scenery along the way.

Fun hard hike pretty much straight out of the canyon! Views are spectacular. Low traffic in the early am.

I thought this one was the prettiest of all hikes at Zion. Incredible views of the whole canyon, thru different formations and rock colors.
I did Angels Landing the day before and it was pretty cool to look down at it during this hike.
I’m not sure why this one is rated hard. There are absolutely no technical parts. It is paved for a great portion of it. Then it’s sandy in the flat parts. I wore my trail running shoes and I got some sand in. Perhaps better to wear higher ankle boots.

My wife and I made this hike together. We started early and in doing so beat the worst of the days heat (100 F).

We are in our mid 50s so it was a more challenging for us than many of the younger hikers on the trail with us.

For us the joy was completing another of the most challenging hikes in Zion National Park.

Amazing views. Not really too difficult. Worth the hike.

Loved this hike! Best views of Angel's Landing from the top.

Gorgeous views during the hike and at the top. We took the first shuttle from the Visitor’s Center and mostly avoided direct sun exposure during the toughest parts. I was surprised at how many people were coming up when we were coming down around noon— definitely go early! It was worth the work.

Nice hike up to the top with gorgeous views. A lot of switch backs getting up there and coming back. We started out pretty early. We did it on Sunday 6/3. Zion was packed took about 45 min to get in the shuttle at 8am. The trail was pretty busy but spread out. In the morning nice shade on the first part of it. Then got pretty hot. One of best spots is slots Canyon on the way up. Take a lot of water!!! Once we reached the top we spent about an hour eating lunch and relaxing. She has server fear of heights and was fine with hike. It’s a nice hike if you like switch backs. But worth it once you reach the top. Amazing views.

A beautiful, but challenging hike. If you go early in the morning, you can be in the shade almost all the way up. We left about 7 am and were glad that we did. A beautiful view down on Zion Canyon including Angel’s Landing.

If you are only in Zion for one day, do this hike. It’s way less crowded than Angel’s Landing, it’s maybe as strenuous but not as scary as Angel’s Landing, plus, you get to look down on Angel’s Landing.

Important: the name of this trail is very misleading. DO NOT drive to the East Rim trailhead. It cost me over an hour to figure out I was wrong. Take the shuttle to stop 6 (Weeping Rock), the trail starts there and is called “Observation Point”. Off season I think you can park directly, otherwise you must take the shuttle.

This was an incredible hike with some of the best views I've ever seen.
My husband and I hiked this with our 2 year old (in his pack). It took us 1hr 45minutes up and 1hr 30 minutes down and that includes the occasional water break along the trail. It is a steep hike and currently very hot weather but it is so worth it.

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. Chose this over angels landing due to the crowds/heat/and basic safety. This view point gets you WAAAY above the valley anyway and is just breathtaking. Advice: do it early in the day and bring PLENTY of fluids because it gets H.O.T. Trying to write an honest review here because I’m a marathoner and hiking up and down was really fairly easy - I could probably do it in an hour up and a half hour back down (not counting the time spent up there). BUT, if my 52 year old average-fit father can do it 1.5 hours up and 1 hour back in the sweltering heat at 1pm, YOU also can do it! Like I said, I’d advise you to do it early if you can, and then bring plenty of fluids regardless of the time of day. And then enjoy one of the best views you’ll ever see!

One of the best trails I hiked in a national park. Get up early and take the first shuttle bis at 6am.you will be there almost alone and its cold enough.as you get back the crowds will go up.stunning views.we had for the whole hike 3h but we are good hikers.

Loved this hike! Great for hikers who love a challenge but are afraid of heights (I couldn’t do Angel’s Landing). I got to the top in 1h40, taking many breathers on the way there. View on top is great!!

Crucial recommendation: start as early as possible. I ran into people climbing at 11am and they were hating the heat. Do yourself a favor and make this hike enjoyable by starting early!

Start early to get as much shade as you can. The view is worth it.

We hiked this when it was about 75 degrees out, and we were very hot the whole way up and back. There are very few shade spots. The trail goes on and on with innumerable switchbacks, but the views from the end are just phenomenal. Be certain to bring plenty of water for this one - it is pretty draining, but absolutely worth it. If you want to take on two trails in a day, hit the Hidden Canyon trail in the morning, and do this after an early lunch.

So they say it takes 5 hours to hike up and back down, but me and my cousin got up in 1h27 and down in 45m

Just do it!! Leave early and you will be in shade for a lot of it (leave late and you will get roasted!!) The hike itself is very scenic (you even walk through a slot canyon for a little bit). Views from the top are absolutely sensational. Look out over the whole canyon and look down on Angels Landing! Took 4.5 hours including 40min on top and lots of little breaks. Gradual incline but lots of switchbacks. Trail in pretty good condition but there is quite a lot of buckling in the pavement so you still need to be steady in your feet. Steep drop offs but enough room to pass people etc.

Amazing! Difficult climb but worth it. Recommend starting early in the morning so you are in the shade for the first switchbacks and the temp isn’t too high yet.

must start early in summer。 otherwise realy nice。

Beautiful! I personally thought that the hike was moderate in difficulty rather than hard. When you get to the top, there’s lots of shade to rest before descending back down.

After doing this trail I want to amend my review of Angel's Landing - this is a much better hiking experience and the best hike I have ever done. Unlike Angel's Landing there are no crowds and no chains. This is one of the few places you can come on a Saturday and find peace and solitude. It is 8 miles and is quite a climb, but absolutely worth it as it will give you a true Zion experience.

Loved hiking this trail.