East Rim Trail to Observation Point

East Rim Trail to Observation Point is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This is a strenuous hike to the highest point in Zion National Park. You look down on Angels Landing and have a sweeping vista of the main canyon that makes up Zion. It is a stunning view.

Fantastic hike. Make sure to bring your water. Drank about 3 gallons going up and coming back

absolutely beautiful.

Go early to avoid music blaring 18 year olds.

A fellow hiker on Angel's Landing encouraged me to attempt this one, and MAN I was so glad I did. It was certainly challenging, but rewarding. We were on a little bit of a time crunch (had to be out of the park and to Las Vegas for a flight!), so hauled it up to Observation Point quickly to soak in the most breathtaking views. I felt very accomplished, and my entire body hurt afterwards but it was worth every ache. Only wish I could have spent more time at the point to soak it in!

My favorite hike in the park. My favorite parts are the hike through the slot canyon and the incredible view from the top!! The highest point in the park. It is surreal. I’ve done this hike twice and it is so worth it.

While Angel's Landing is exhilarating and beautiful, I think this hike has better views.

Wow! This was a fantastic hike. My boyfriend and I hiked this trail on Jan 1st to ring in the New Year and the weather was awesome and the trail wasn’t very busy, I’d say moderate traffic. The hike was a pretty steep incline but well worth it. We did the entire hike there and back including stopping for a picnic at the top in about 5 1/2 hours. I’m not sure why this is rated as a difficult hike as it’s a pathway and literally anybody can do this hike- it just requires stamina but you could do it in 6+ hours with plenty of breaks as an unfit person I’m sure. Anyways, the lighting up at the top of Observation Point wasn’t that great as it was midday, but on your way to the point a couple hundred feet before you reach it there’s a side spot out in the right to the path that is perfect for picture taking and gives a great view of everything and it’s clear to see Angels Landing. Highly recommend this trail/hike!

Second time - most amazing

I have hiked every inch of trails in Zion National Park many times and this is, hands down, the finest hike in the park. Observation Point gives you the best view of Zion Canyon; you look DOWN on Angel’s Landing and across at the Great White Throne. The trail is interesting and enjoyable with great views throughout.

Now this is a hike! There are several great spots along the way but nothing compares to reaching to top and looking out over the whole canyon. It has an amazing panoramic view of the park with Angels Landing jutting out of the canyon wall almost 1000 feet below. It's truly a view you must see.

The incline gets your blood pumping. It took us 5 hours with plenty of stops as well as a sandwich munch at the top. Got to the parking lot at 7am and were the 3rd car, parking lot was full before 8. AMAZING VIEWS like youve never seen. Comparable its Slightly easier than Franconia Loop in New Hampshire.

This is an amazing hike to Observation Point. I hiked it with my husband on Thanksgiving day, 11/23. We spent 4 days in the park, and this was my absolute favorite hike. There are great views almost the entire way, including looking down on Angel's Landing. It starts out steep but is paved much of the way. The first portion of the trail is shared with Hidden Canyon. Stay to the left at the split for Observation Point. It took us 1:38 to reach the top and 1:29 to come down. This trail is much less heavily trafficked than most others on the shuttle loop, making it a nice reprieve from the crowds while still staying in the main canyon. Lots of space to relax and have lunch at the top. As with all trails in the main canyon, I would recommend starting early if it is a busy day in the park.

Quite strenuous way up (or down!) but the way is paved most of the trail. The views are fantastic all along the trail and changing quickly! Beware if you are afraid of heights like I am that some sections are a reasonably wide trail along an impressive cliff!
The hike took us 6hrs including photos, lunch and a peek in the hidden canyon! Only the trail would be ~5hrs!

The best view in all of Zion! The trail is less heavily trafficked and maybe less well-known than it's sister Angel's Landing, but the views are better IMO. You gain 2100 ft of elevation from Weeping Rock parking area in about 4 miles, and are well above Angel's Landing at the overlook. You look directly down canyon in the most magical vista in maybe all of Utah - I actually proposed to my now fiancee at the top!

The trek up is tough, its 2 miles of uphill along switchbacks, a short half mile respite through a wash, and then 1 mile more uphill along the mountain until flattening out at the end. While the trail has some steep dropoffs, most of the trail is wide enough that even those with a fear of heights can do it - just stay to the inside! The last half mile is through sand and clay, vastly different from the rock/concrete covering most of the trail. At the top there is a large area to rest and picnic before scampering back down. We did the hike up in 1.5 hours at a good pace, but you will feel it! We didn't make the spur trail to echo canyon, but we heard that was a nice extra mile if you have time!

The views of the canyon as you hike up are breathtaking. Of course the summit view is beautiful as well. Pack a lunch and take it all in. Watch out the squirrels are feisty.

Amazing. Worth the extra two miles hiking because the shuttle wasn’t running and the parking lot was full

**FYI this trail begins at the Weeping Rock parking lot, NOT at the east rim trailhead.**

Amazing trail, hard! But the views and sitting at the edge eating lunch made it all worth it.

Worth the hike. Legs are sore but it was also amazing.

This hike has all the views, you are looking down on Angel’s Landing and the valley. You can see forever, it is a strenuous hike up but definitely manageable if you are in decent shape.