Eagle Crags Trail

Eagle Crags Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rockville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,282 feet Route Type: Out & Back

this is a medium difficulty trail, not really that hard. nice views throughout the hike, anti climactic end. Was nice and cool for the dog early in the morning.

Although the hike itself was moderate the trail was rugged, lots of loose rocks and or sand which made the going more difficult so I think that is why the trail was labeled hard. Beautiful wilderness trail, expansive and panoramic views of Zion. I only saw a couple hikers and it was a Saturday. Follow our adventures on Facebook, “Apackof2 for the Road” On our new Instagram and YouTube channel

The views of Zion at the upper end of this trail are amazing. I never even knew there was a reservoir in the area until i saw it from this trail! Definitely would do this hike again.

THIS TRAIL SHOULD NOT BE CATEGORIZED AS DIFFICULT. To use a ski analogy this run would be a first tracks corduroy gentle blue groomer - the first blue you take junior on to build confidence. The drive to the trailhead is the gnarliest part of the day. Rant over. This is an awesome trail. Incredible vistas, no people ( I saw a total of two) and an absolute reprieve from ZNP. I was fortunate enough to catch a perfectly sunny 50ish degree day which added to the glory of the trek. The end is a bit anticlimactic as there is not a reveal. Don’t let that stop you from doing this jaunt. It’s a goody.

Great trail. Zion views without Zion crowds. Long pants recommended. Hiking boots aren't needed, but sturdy shoes are a good idea. Fall means hiking into a bright morning sun if you're an early bird. I'm 64 and a flatlander and I found trail moderate. Did it in 4 semi-leisurely hours.

I would rate this on the easy side of moderate. Beautiful views on this hike. There is some soft sandy spots but they aren’t bad at all. It is pretty exposed so be sure to wear sunscreen & bring extra water. I went with a friend & only saw one other person with their dog.

I would probably label this more moderate, not hard. EPIC views of Zion the entire time it’s just about as good as being in the park and NO people. It’s a holiday weekend & we have heard horror stories about angels landing today, still can’t believe all we saw was one guy and his dog on their way out. Trail gets a bit funky 0.5miles towards the end.. bit of scrambling but so fun and totally worth it.

Beautiful secluded trail! Wonderful views of Zion and other great mountains. We started around 9 and got back around 1. Glad we started a little early with the cool desert air. Would go earlier next time to avoid the afternoon heat.

This was one of my favorite trails at Zion. Secluded and not crowded at all. A lot of sun come mid-day, I was thankful we started this trail early. The road up to the trail head was a little rugged, but we made it with no difficulty. No other cars at the trailhead when we arrived. A decent pit toilet was present at the trail head. The hike was rated at moderate by my standards, and in some portions easy. The views were unreal. I was worried we would see snakes, we didn’t. We did see several birds and lizards. Fantastic hike for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the main canyon. I would definitely recommend this hidden gem.

Secluded with nice views. the road is washboarded in a few spots and there are some rocks that aren't too bad, a mid clearance vehicle will get you there.

The views along the trail are exemplary. Wow! The crags are interesting and beautiful, the views of the opening to Zion are exceptional, and when you get to the views of Tree Ranch reservoir and the south valley, wow! The trail is not that difficult, although some of it was sandy. We had an old map, so we thought we were off the trail , and we weren't. Did about a mile of bushwacking and found some more beautiful views. As wonderful as southern Utah can be with its views, this trail was a surprise. It had a bit of everything that a hiker might want and we didn't see another hiker the entire time.

So first, the road up is driveable in a regular car as long as it’s not a lowered race car deal, I wouldn’t mess with this road in the rain or if it’s been wet though. Great hike to get away from the crowds, I was the only person there all day. About mile 2 trail splits, go up first and take a couple pictures, there’s a great view from there, maybe 100’ up. I followed a bush trail a little farther up but yeh don’t do that. I noticed the gps on here doesn’t have you on the trail but a couple contour lines above, but it’s the only trail out here. Does get scrambly in spots and the trail is overgrown a little farther out, follow the cairns and you’ll be good! Oh and wear pants, the grass all rubbing up on you you’ll hate later!

Road leading to trail head does not require 4WD, however I would advise a higher clearance vehicle. Should the road be wet, 4WD is required. Hiking trail is amazing, truly “out there”. We took 5 hours with a dog.

I made it all the way up the trailhead in my Honda Accord. However it was a challenge I don’t recommend, don’t even bother if it’s muddy. I’m not sure if I liked the way up the trail better or the way down. Both ways offered spectacular views and I only saw a few people. Saw some mountain lion prints. The colors scape and the jagged peaks of Eagle Crag is absolutely amazing. Definitely worth it.

If you want to get away from the crowds of Zion and still see beautiful scenery, this is your hike. The drive to the trailhead can be a tad tricky. Make sure it is completely dry and you have good clearance. 4X4 is highly recommended! Moderate hike really but payoff is great.

Great, simple trail with lovely views of Zion and surrounding landscapes as you approach a viewpoint at the end of the trail. I'd say its moderate. Road to trailhead is very muddy and impassable after rains for the last 7/10 of a mile...we walked it. Should be fine when dry.

Highly recommend this hike. Lots of rock trail, but well worth the views. Did this hike on a Sunday, and the first people we saw were when we got to bottom. Nice hidden gem trail.

Tue Sep 25 2018

Glad I had a 4 wheel drive to navigate the road. Great hike for me and my dog.

Mon Aug 27 2018

Well THAT was exciting! It's true, you don't NEED 4-wheel drive to make it here when the road is dry, but it wouldn't hurt. Definately a risk of getting stuck in vehicles with low clearance, but well worth the effort if you're up for the adventure. If you have the option to take a vehicle with good clearance, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Wonderful trail, starts of slow, gets a little steep. Extremely Rocky as well. Recommend this trail for Novice hikers.

Sun Jun 03 2018

From the trailhead it was an 7 mile out and back. We reached the trailhead via a rocky steep gravel/sand/mud track which was pot holed and rocky. It lead from Rockville over an old Parker Bridge. The trail was sandy and rocky but well marked (don't confuse the trail with a dry wash which runs alongside and crosses the trail at times) being a desert of juniper and pine with flowering cacti. We saw black-chinned hummingbirds feeding on the flowering cacti. Looking north from our destination underneath eagle crag was a stunning view of Zion and its canyons.

Fri Apr 06 2018

Really nice trail, beautiful views, easy to follow, some sandy some rocky sections. Fairly shaded which is nice for the dogs. About half way through after a good climb the trail starts to head slightly down and cuts along the side hill. There’s one section where it almost looks like the trail ends but step over the down tree and look for a Carin, continue in the same direction as before. This section is exposed to the sun and less well worn, but still decent to follow. I turned around after about a mile following it because it was getting to be too hot for the dogs. Beautiful views, worth doing. Road to get there was a little bumpy and steep at the beginning but no need for 4 wheel. Nice parking lot and map at the trailhead.

Sun Feb 04 2018

Great trail. We hiked it to climb the towers on top of the ridge. Amazing views and fairly moderate. Made it to the trailhead with my low-clearance passenger car.

Sat Dec 30 2017

We didn't actually get to the trailhead. The road got worse and worse, and we ended up turning back. A high clearance vehicle would probably work. Giving in 3 stars for the awesome view of Zion on the way up to the trailhead.

Sat Jul 08 2017

avoid the crowds at Zion. Hike next to Zion in the wilderness!

Sat Jul 01 2017

Great off the beaten path trail and you can bring your pup!

Sun Mar 19 2017

Nice hike. Good exercise... lots of up and down.