Learn more

Eagle Crags Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rockville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 7.0 mi Elevation gain 1,282 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

Rocky

Description
Waypoints (0)

This is an “underdog” of a trail in Zion! We highly recommend doing this in early spring or fall. If not make sure you bring plenty of water and plan on sitting in shade from time to time to cool off.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (84)
Photos (173)
Recordings (57)
Completed (125)
Becky McRae
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 07 2020
Hiking

I thought the trail would take you up towards the crags, but it didn’t appear to. Decided to not follow all trails map and scramble up to the crags on a different route. Beautiful views of Zion and Canaan mountain wilderness area. The dirt road to get to the trail head is a bit rough in places.

View Becky's Recording
Jamie Rachek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed May 27 2020
HikingRocky

So many bugs and no way to get rid of them. Awesome view about halfway up!

View Jamie's Recording
Taylor M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 14 2020
Hiking

Cool trail!! Definitely bring enough water. A little bit of shade but lots of sun exposure as well. Great mix of desert and trees. Highly recommend this!

Jennifer Orner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 13 2020
HikingRocky

Phenomenal views of Zion from the south and Canaan Wilderness to the east near the end of trail. No definitive end of trail just becomes impassable. I was hoping to get up close and personal with the crags you progress toward the whole hike but never did. Guess we have to leave that for the eagles! Strenuous yes. Rugged trail with lots of small rocks so have to watch every step or you will roll your ankles without good boots. I was in tennis shoes gawking at the views while searching for my next photo treasure!!! Enjoyed the various desert wildflowers and trees along the way. Would do it again for the awe element. I did this mid day in 85 degrees full sun and drank 1.5 liters.

Rachel M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 09 2020
HikingNo shade

Beautiful trail. Not really a clear end point. Pretty views along the whole route. Bring plenty of water!

View Rachel's Recording
Will Gosh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 15 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Trailhead is actually a lil farther up the road than Apple Maps took me to. Super scenic hike trail was rocky but not too technical. The last bit as u really get into the crags it becomes fairly steep and bouldery so it becomes more like a scramble.

View Will's Recording
Missy Grant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Mar 18 2020
Hiking

This is a great hike, we had to park 1 mile before the trail because of mud.

Bradley User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 07 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Bradley's Recording
Anide Johansen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Nov 17 2019
Hiking

this is a medium difficulty trail, not really that hard. nice views throughout the hike, anti climactic end. Was nice and cool for the dog early in the morning.

View Anide's Recording
Joan Fabiano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Nov 08 2019
Hiking

Although the hike itself was moderate the trail was rugged, lots of loose rocks and or sand which made the going more difficult so I think that is why the trail was labeled hard. Beautiful wilderness trail, expansive and panoramic views of Zion. I only saw a couple hikers and it was a Saturday. Follow our adventures on Facebook, “Apackof2 for the Road” On our new Instagram and YouTube channel

Mark Nekic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Nov 06 2019
HikingRocky

The views of Zion at the upper end of this trail are amazing. I never even knew there was a reservoir in the area until i saw it from this trail! Definitely would do this hike again.

Ann-Michelle Levangie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 03 2019
View Ann-Michelle's Recording
Rick Cosmas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Oct 29 2019
Hiking

THIS TRAIL SHOULD NOT BE CATEGORIZED AS DIFFICULT. To use a ski analogy this run would be a first tracks corduroy gentle blue groomer - the first blue you take junior on to build confidence. The drive to the trailhead is the gnarliest part of the day. Rant over. This is an awesome trail. Incredible vistas, no people ( I saw a total of two) and an absolute reprieve from ZNP. I was fortunate enough to catch a perfectly sunny 50ish degree day which added to the glory of the trek. The end is a bit anticlimactic as there is not a reveal. Don’t let that stop you from doing this jaunt. It’s a goody.

View Rick's Recording
Marty Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 23 2019
Hiking

Great trail. Zion views without Zion crowds. Long pants recommended. Hiking boots aren't needed, but sturdy shoes are a good idea. Fall means hiking into a bright morning sun if you're an early bird. I'm 64 and a flatlander and I found trail moderate. Did it in 4 semi-leisurely hours.

Leslie Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Oct 21 2019
Hiking

I would rate this on the easy side of moderate. Beautiful views on this hike. There is some soft sandy spots but they aren’t bad at all. It is pretty exposed so be sure to wear sunscreen & bring extra water. I went with a friend & only saw one other person with their dog.

View Leslie's Recording
Carnage Michelle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 20 2019
Hiking

I would probably label this more moderate, not hard. EPIC views of Zion the entire time it’s just about as good as being in the park and NO people. It’s a holiday weekend & we have heard horror stories about angels landing today, still can’t believe all we saw was one guy and his dog on their way out. Trail gets a bit funky 0.5miles towards the end.. bit of scrambling but so fun and totally worth it.

Steve Stanek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Oct 10 2019
Mountain bikingRocky

Great loop Park at Gooseberry trail head ride bike north on dirt road. Turn left at windmill. You well see windmill, ride to it to pick up trails. Go slow dangerous spots!! Scenery magnificent! Easy ride. You will come last look out over mountain bluff pick up up trail marker D&B(Donner and Barrow) go left at marker . It will get pretty technical use your best judgment? It ok to walk bike. You will pick up practice trail stay on it! It will bring you out to White trail wide trail road turn left follow it past White trail head stay on main road.You will run into where you started Gooseberry Trail head !! Great loop, great look out points!! Ride with caution!! Take Go Pro!! Not a loop for racing !!

Alexis Rawlinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 09 2019
Hiking

Beautiful secluded trail! Wonderful views of Zion and other great mountains. We started around 9 and got back around 1. Glad we started a little early with the cool desert air. Would go earlier next time to avoid the afternoon heat.

Rachel Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Oct 03 2019
Hiking

This was one of my favorite trails at Zion. Secluded and not crowded at all. A lot of sun come mid-day, I was thankful we started this trail early. The road up to the trail head was a little rugged, but we made it with no difficulty. No other cars at the trailhead when we arrived. A decent pit toilet was present at the trail head. The hike was rated at moderate by my standards, and in some portions easy. The views were unreal. I was worried we would see snakes, we didn’t. We did see several birds and lizards. Fantastic hike for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the main canyon. I would definitely recommend this hidden gem.

Thal Wright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 15 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky

Secluded with nice views. the road is washboarded in a few spots and there are some rocks that aren't too bad, a mid clearance vehicle will get you there.

Dr Steve Watts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 31 2019
Hiking

The views along the trail are exemplary. Wow! The crags are interesting and beautiful, the views of the opening to Zion are exceptional, and when you get to the views of Tree Ranch reservoir and the south valley, wow! The trail is not that difficult, although some of it was sandy. We had an old map, so we thought we were off the trail , and we weren't. Did about a mile of bushwacking and found some more beautiful views. As wonderful as southern Utah can be with its views, this trail was a surprise. It had a bit of everything that a hiker might want and we didn't see another hiker the entire time.

View Dr Steve's Recording
Seneca James
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 08 2019
HikingOver grownRocky

So first, the road up is driveable in a regular car as long as it’s not a lowered race car deal, I wouldn’t mess with this road in the rain or if it’s been wet though. Great hike to get away from the crowds, I was the only person there all day. About mile 2 trail splits, go up first and take a couple pictures, there’s a great view from there, maybe 100’ up. I followed a bush trail a little farther up but yeh don’t do that. I noticed the gps on here doesn’t have you on the trail but a couple contour lines above, but it’s the only trail out here. Does get scrambly in spots and the trail is overgrown a little farther out, follow the cairns and you’ll be good! Oh and wear pants, the grass all rubbing up on you you’ll hate later!

Libor Weber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 02 2019
HikingRocky

Road leading to trail head does not require 4WD, however I would advise a higher clearance vehicle. Should the road be wet, 4WD is required. Hiking trail is amazing, truly “out there”. We took 5 hours with a dog.

Jordyn Richmond
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 29 2019
HikingRocky

I made it all the way up the trailhead in my Honda Accord. However it was a challenge I don’t recommend, don’t even bother if it’s muddy. I’m not sure if I liked the way up the trail better or the way down. Both ways offered spectacular views and I only saw a few people. Saw some mountain lion prints. The colors scape and the jagged peaks of Eagle Crag is absolutely amazing. Definitely worth it.

View Jordyn's Recording
Minnesota MountainMatt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Mar 25 2019
Hiking

If you want to get away from the crowds of Zion and still see beautiful scenery, this is your hike. The drive to the trailhead can be a tad tricky. Make sure it is completely dry and you have good clearance. 4X4 is highly recommended! Moderate hike really but payoff is great.

View Minnesota's Recording
Amy Washuta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 23 2019
HikingMuddy

Great, simple trail with lovely views of Zion and surrounding landscapes as you approach a viewpoint at the end of the trail. I'd say its moderate. Road to trailhead is very muddy and impassable after rains for the last 7/10 of a mile...we walked it. Should be fine when dry.