Dry Creek Trail to Box Elder Peak

Dry Creek Trail to Box Elder Peak is a 13 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and backpacking and is best used from April until October.

Definitely a tough one. Three years ago I hiked up through the granite flats trail on the other side, which was definitely easier as it took me about 3 hours to the top. Took me 4.5 hours up going this way. Got to the ridge, which joins with the granite flats trail at 3 hours. Then another 1.5 to the top. I had forgotten how tough that part was. Really steep and I was stopping to catch my breath every minute for a while.
Bring bug spray as there was quite a lot in certain parts. There is also a lot at the top. It was already 4pm when I got to the top, so I went down almost immediately and did not take my time going down as it took me 2.5 hours to get down to the bottom. Even ran in certain spots. Definitely best to go early so you don’t feel rushed.
Might want to bring long pants if you are comfortable with that as there is a good deal before you get to the ridge where plants are constantly brushing up against your legs. I wore shorts and they didn’t leave any scratches or anything though.
I went on a Thursday afternoon and saw absolutely nobody after the first half hour who were most likely just going to Horsetail Falls. Didn’t see another person until I got to the falls on the way down.

Used this trail today to summit Box Elder Peak. Hang a right just before Horsetail Falls at a signed intersection to keep ascending on 2043, then keep on trucking for a good while until you get to a spot where you can see down into the Granite Flat Campground. From here, you swing south on 2188 and basically just go up and up and up until you're at the top of Box Elder Peak!

Saw oodles of wildflowers on this first day of June; oodles more are on the way in the next few weeks I'm sure. There's still snow up high, though nothing terrible as long as you're not the kind of person who likes to test their luck on avoidable cornices. I liked having my waterproof boots and gaiters, but I like fancy/luxurious things like that.

4.5 hours up. 3.5 hours down.