Learn more

Druid Arch Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Monticello, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 9.5 mi Elevation gain 1,374 ft Route type Out & Back

No shade

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (0)

Permits might be required for all day and overnight trips along the river. Great views throughout. Bring lots of water. Hike can be sandy and difficult to navigate.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (165)
Photos (375)
Recordings (107)
Completed (439)
Ethan Ferry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
HikingScramble

Amazing trail, we left Moab at 4:30 and started hiking the trail at 6:15. On the way out we had shade most of the trail and the way back there was mostly no shade. It took us 4 hours and 35 minutes for 11 miles. Bring lots of water! Was one of the best trails I’ve ever been on.

Carrie Denning
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingNo shade

All hail the Canyonlands cairns builders! What a terrific hike with an amazing payoff. Split your time between watching for cairns and looking at the scenery and you’ll be fine. So much to look at. We started at 7:30am and we’re grateful for some cloud cover off and on throughout the hike. It does get hot. We each went though about 2L of water and were thankful for a cold Gatorade we’d stashed to be ready when we got back. Hiking through the sand in the wash wasn’t my favorite but as a whole, this was a huge win. Not at all crowded on July 3.

View Carrie's Recording
Bill Daly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 02 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Loved the walk!!! Druids arch was amazing and looking back over what I walked through was stunning. The canyons / valleys were a lot of fun. I left Moab around 5-5.30 am and arrived between 7 and 7.30 am. I had shade nearly all the way out. Then lost some time messing around the arch. No real shade on the way back but kept meeting people. Recommend at least 4 liters of water if not more!!!

View Bill's Recording
Lindsey Parker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020
Hiking

I hiked this with my 16 year old son on 6/09. Signage was minimal throughout the wash area so we hiked 13 miles instead of 11. It didn’t seem that long because there was so much beautiful and varying scenery the whole time. I felt like my head was in the clouds walking on top of big rocks in the beginning, and other parts of the trail reminded me of a mini Narrows in Zion! The Druid Arch at the end was amazing. I have been hiking for 20+ years and this was my favorite hike of all time. Better than anything in Arches. Spectacular!

Nicole White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
Hiking

I am a novice hiker, middle aged woman and in ok shape and I did ok with this hike. It is 11 miles not 9 and in mid June it was hot afternoon. We left at 8:30am and it was too late. Should have started at 6am to avoid the heat. On your way back in the riverbed, watch the signs. We missed one and were able to recover using the app. The trails were great. The last 1/2 mile is a bit tricky, but nothing I couldn’t handle. Bring LOTS of water.

View Nicole's Recording
Kaylyn Hruska
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 16 2020
HikingScramble

This is such a fun trail. The scenery is gorgeous. There are a few tricky scrambles, but overall not too difficult. Druid arch itself is bigger and better than any of the arches at Arches NP. Start early in the morning because the afternoon heat is intense, and there’s not a lot of shade in the canyon. I started at 7:30 am, and the way to the arch was pleasant and shaded, but the way back was plenty hot. Being more water than you think you’ll need!

Philip Sorg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

This was an amazing trail with great scenery the entire way. I did this on June 10th, and it was about 80 degrees, and I still went through 4 liters of water. Bring lots of water and sunscreen if you’re doing this in the summer. The climb up to the arch was the most difficult and most fun part, climbing up and scrambling over rocks. I also recommend keeping a GPS map of the trail because it is not well marked. I got lost on the way back and ended up on the Joint Trail, which meant I had to hike an extra 4 miles. It was still a great hike though, and I would definitely do it again.

G Bern H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 09 2020
Hiking

This is an excellent hike. It's in the Needles section of the NP so it's almost a two hour drive from Moab. This hike offered amazing views and the Druid Arch at the end is the grand finale. Pay attention to the markers (stacked rocks) because it's easy to miss a turn. The final section is steep and you'll have to climb a little but it's totally worth it. The NP says this hike is 11 miles. Bring plenty of water, lunch and some snacks. Wear a hat, lightweight hiking boots and sunscreen. Bring a lightweight jacket in your ruck for the Druid Arch area. We went on a cloudy, cool day so it was chilly up there as we ate lunch. The trail was not heavily utilized. Great hike!

Sean Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 04 2020
Hiking

Favorite hike i did in Canyonlands/Arches. Super hard hike at the end but well worth it. Youre in a canyon the entire hike and its beautiful. You can find shade to take breaks but for the love of god bring A LOT of water cuz it was super hot. The signs are deceiving - when it says 3.9 miles, its more like 5 We tracked 13 miles and never went off the trail. A must if you have a day to do it

View Sean's Recording
Diane G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 03 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike! My best advice is to start early. We left Monticello at 5am so that we could start this hike at 6:15am. Best idea ever as we hiked in the shade all the way to the arch. It was 91 degrees when we got back to the parking lot at 1:00 and people were just starting the hike! I'll give my review and my 16 year old son's thoughts. I love a hike with a great reward at the end. The Druid Arch is a must see! What makes it even more special is that the only way to see this spectacular arch in person is by hiking in the 5.5 miles to it. My son's review is that the arch itself is only a "3 mile hike arch", but he loved the hike and said it was worth the 11 miles we did. He loved the hike up the best and I loved the arch the best. The hike is rather easy for the first 5 miles, it's that last half mile that is a killer(yes, it's hard). AND the sign pointing up the wash for the shortest way to druid arch(at 2.1 miles in) is NOT facing you. We found it by mistake cause I stopped to take a picture of a flower in the wash. If we hadn't seen it we would have hiked additional miles! We all drank the 2 liters of water in our packs and we didn't hike in the sun for half of it. So, if you're planning a sunny/hot afternoon hike bring a lot water!

Hudson Payne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020
HikingRockyScramble

The last mile or so up to the arch was a bit rough. There is always a way around the puddles, don’t let your boots get soaked

Hannah Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 24 2020
Hiking

Spectacular. Glorious. Amazing. Would HIGHLY recommend. It’s a long hike but so worth it!!!!

Ali Richter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Feb 27 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Easy until the last quarter of the hike, which requires a lot of scrambling up slick rock and steep climbs up rocks to the top where you can see the arch. The ladder everyone talks about was not as scary as I thought it would be. Absolutely 11.5 - 12 miles instead of 9.5 no doubt. Cairns mark the trail really well and I only got turned around once. Didn't have to use maps for most of the trail. Recommend starting around 11 am so you can finish by 4:30-5 and watch the incredible sunset on the drive back. Wouldn't want to get caught up on the trail too late, because shadows start falling around 2-3 pm. (can't stress enough how gorgeous the sunset drive back is....) Lots of sun! Even in winter! I did this hike in late Feb and took off many layers, walking some of the trail in a tank top! Also went through my 2 liter hydration bladder easily and could've done with 3 liters preferably. Walked it all in Sambas with no problem, although I think something with a little more grip would be slightly preferable. Can't think of anything else you'd need to know so: Overall, the sense of satisfaction you'll get after making it to Druid arch is incredibly worth it. Plus the scenery changes quite a bit and gives many different views. At the end of the day----Difficult but good.

Brent Dudgeon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jan 11 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike. Got there via Squaw Canyon trail which is awesome and is perhaps my favorite place on earth when it comes to hiking. Amazing views. Also included Chesler Park on the way back, made it a good 18 mile day, but well worth it. Pretty decent scramble up the last bit to get to the arch after a long hike, so be ready for that. :) I recommend this hike and will do it again when I return to Canyonlands. Enjoy.

Natalie Cowden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 24 2019
Hiking

One of our favorite hikes we’ve ever done. Amazing change of scenery the entire trail from up above and then down into the canyon. Druid arch is impressive. Also a huge plus that it was not very crowded

William Klein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Nov 06 2019
HikingRockyScrambleWashed out

Let me start by saying and I have the philosophy that any hike is a good hike. But this hike was not my favorite. At 11 miles long, you are walking through a dry washout for probably half this hike. There are side trails that go up on the banks to get you out of the sand but its unavoidable in some areas. The druid arch is massive, and as others mention you can see it on the approach but you are looking at the slim profile side so you don’t realize it is the arch until the end. My moving time for the 11 miles was right at 4 hrs. That was with minimal stopping and a few pics here and there. The scenery doesn’t change very much once you enter the canyon, it was a quiet peaceful walk. The area of the arch was completely shaded at mid-day (noon). Enjoy the Needles District!

Ali Lavender
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Oct 17 2019
Hiking

There is definitely no river on this hike :)

Erin Kleymann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Oct 01 2019
HikingNo shadeOff trailRockyScramble
View Erin's Recording
John Stoner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 30 2019
Hiking

Very scenic hike that crosses through very different terrain. Other reviewers commented on water... I will echo their sentiment.... bring more water than you normally would for an 11-12 mile hike. The last 1/4 mile is a climb including a small 6’ ladder bolted to a boulder. The “reveal” is spectacular when you reach the top and finally see se the Druid Arch.

Kaitlin Ramspeck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 21 2019
HikingRocky

Incredible views! The arch is visible from far away but you don’t realize it’s an arch until the end of the trail because of the angle. Bring lots of water. This trail is really 11 miles and a good amount of it involves walking in sand and climbing sandstone. Would definitely recommend.

View Kaitlin's Recording
John Lamberson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 02 2019
Hiking

102 degrees. Listen to what people say about more water water water. I had 3 liter with two of the smaller containers of Gatorade and it was out upon return to my car. Take something for shade as well like a full brim hat. Sun is brutal on hike out from Druid.

View John's Recording