Druid Arch Trail

Druid Arch Trail is a 10.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Blanding, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Permits required. Great views throughout. Bring lots of water. Hike can be sandy and difficult to navigate.

The first 2 miles have the best scenery, and it is absolutely beyond awesome. After that you are kind of walking in a sandy wash for a couple of miles, and the scenery is still great, but it's a bit of a slog. I got a little confused when I hit the wash, but if you turn left along the wash you will come to a sign that makes it clear which way to Druid Arch. After you are in the wash for a couple of miles, the trail makes a hard left uphill and I got lost by not noticing that the cairns were leading up through a slot in the rocks. Looks like I am not the only one who missed that, as there were lots of other footprints leading to a dead end. The scramble up to the arch at the end is steep, but if you are like me, you won't notice the exertion because you will be preoccupied by the sense that you are going kill yourself trying to get down. The trail is not hard to follow, but pay attention to those cairns. This trail is in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park, and it's a project just to get there, and then up the dirt road to the Elephant Hill trailhead, but it's definitely worth it.

We started from a Elephant Hill Trail to Druid Arch and extended the hike by deviating into Squaw Flat Trail. Magnificent with breath taking views and overlooks. We followed the wash for much of the hike to Druid Arch. You will
put in some miles but the trail is well marked and not difficult. The climb to the viewpoint for Druid Arch can be a challenge with some rock scrambling. The hike through Squaw Flats was spectacular with ladder climbing and rim hiking. It had some challenging points. Water, good shoes, and sunscreen is recommended.

Probably the most insane landscape I've ever hiked in. The sights were amazing and the end of the hike was worth the effort. My only complaint is that it was very difficult to navigate. Wrong turns are easy and we ended up waking 14 miles instead of 11. When you hit the river bed, follow it until the cairns branch up and off to the left. Do not follow the EC2 branch as the map suggests. We met two other groups of hikers on the way back that made exactly the same wrong turn as us. Lots of water and sunscreen is important on this hike and you will be stepping in deep sand at points.

Well worth the effort! Be aware of some scrambling required on slick rock which was a little sketchy to my wife, but nothing we couldn’t handle. We camped at EC 2 for a night and hiked to Druid arch for a side trip. Amazing experience!

a long hike through a beautiful landscape. And at the end a view of the impressive Druid arch. There were, for me, as I am not a tall person, some more difficult spots to overcome, but it was all worth it.

Hiked in late November 2015 while it was pretty cold and snowy. Long hike, not terribly difficult unless you're not very tall or not prepared for a long hike. There are some areas where you'll have to climb over large rocks which is made more difficult with snow. The Druid Arch is staggering and well worth the hike. Started around 9 AM and got back after dark.

The 2000 ft elevation gain is more intimidating than it should be. The hike is seemingly flat most of the time as it follows the river bed once you break off from the Chesler Trail. There is climbing involved in some sections of the trail and a boulder field to the final summit of Druid. But any individual that is moderately fit and fully functioning will make it up no problem with a little perseverance. It was a beautiful hike, and the destination was excellent. It can be tough to navigate, but follow the stacks of rocks set to mark the trail and you'll be fine. Prepare to take a wrong turn or two, just be aware when the stacks disappear. Beware, you're not going to get a solid view if you're not willing to take the final climb.

Do this hike! The canyons leading up to the arch are some of the most amazing things your eyes will see. The arch itself is huge and magnificent. The view of the park for the arch is awesome. This is a great way to spend an afternoon in the park. If you have little time in Moab, I would highly recommend spending the time doing this hike as opposed to going to Arches NP. It gives you solitude, a great taste of canyon lands, and a spectacular view of a massive arch.

While offering some wondrous overlooks, be forewarned that the hike to Druid Arch is not easily navigable. My hiking partner and I were separated from the trail on several instances, although our GPS map helped course correct. Even with technological assistance, we were ultimately unable to complete the route as the trail petered out in on a frozen lagoon (approx. 4 to 5 miles in to hike) from which we saw no appreciable way forward. Rock cairns are somewhat helpful, but the Druid Arch trail would benefit from improved signage, lest others share in a similarly unfulfilling experience.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Thursday, June 02, 2016

This was probably my least favourite hike in Canyonlands. The majority of the hike takes place on dry river bed, which just kind of lacked interest/dimension for me. There are great views of the different formations though. Also, if you get to a point that you're not sure where you can go from there, LOOK UP! We were so confused as to where the trail had gone, then realized we were already beneath the arch. Novices... haha.
We did this hike in April but with a lack of coverage I think it would get absolutely scorching in later months.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The beginning and end are great! The middle is constant walking in loose sand of the dried up riverbed. I didn't like that part at all. It might have not been that bad if it weren't anextremely hot day haha. Just bring lots of water.