Donut Falls Trail

EASY 1,346 reviews

Donut Falls Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

Please note a portion of the road leading up to the trail may be closed due to snow well into spring/beginning of summer. The road closure has been reported to start approximately 1/2 mile before the trailhead. The trail is open, but please be sure to wear appropriate footwear as the snow melts.

fun easy hike with and it's fun to play in the water

Fun hike for the family. The walk in has shade and the area near the falls is a great place to sit or walk in the water.

We truly loved this Trail. It was beautiful. once we made our way to the falls, it was easy to walk through the shallow or parts of the Little River to be able to see all sides. Highly recommended.

Vey easy hike, until you get to the falls. If you want to hike to the top, plan to get your feet wet. Totally worth the effort, it's even great for kids!

I love this trail. It was easy. It is a little bit hard to get to the donut fall. I went there in the evening around 5pm so there was not many people as people mentioned.

Fun rock/log hopping at the end but oh so crowded.

This hike is really beautiful. We arrived around 8 in the morning and it wasn't busy at all. We only passed one group coming up. However, coming down we passed multiple groups on their way up.

scenic driving

This was a five star trail. Good for all ages. Highly recommend!!

This is a really fun little hike in a wonderful canyon. We went during the fall when the leaves were yellow. This hike is only worth it if you ignore the signs and get up into the donut. Also prepare for lots of people. This trail if you were alone would be a 4 star.

This was so much fun! Be prepared to hike through a shallow stream. The water is freezing, but it’s worth walking to the back of the waterfall for a picture. The trail is easy, but gets very crowded; honestly, if you don’t get there before 9am, I wouldn’t bother.

A great hike. One of my favorites. It can be a big rough if you’re not much for steep parts when hiking but I enjoy it very much. There is a part you must go down and up rocks to see the doughnut area but just the few of the waterfall is enough

It's a pretty easy hike, just be careful when you get to the waterfall. It's pretty slippery so wear good shoes. You *can* climb up the waterfall but it's not the safest, I overheard someone telling his buddy how his friend back in high school climbed up and fell straight through the cave and all the way down, breaking both legs, an arm, and a few ribs. So climb at your own risk, the view at the top is neat and there's a small swimming area. It's packed full of people and families

my problem with this trail is just how crowded it always is. it's so hard to find parking and everyone crowds around the area with the falls. there are better trails to see a waterfall than this one.

The hike is amazing! It’s pretty easy until you get to the waterfall and then it gets a little tough but very doable. I offer 2 criticisms. There are a lot of visitors. A lot. There are too few trails. There is a main “highway” and that’s it.

this hike is even prettier in summer than winter. it is not very hard but very crowded. I would recommend either bringing waterproof boots or water shoes like tevas or you won't be able to see the waterfall donut at all.

Way too many people for a Friday during the day.

Love this hike. We have done it on Christmas Eve and again June 16, 2018. It can be busy, but the falls are a great pay off. Be prepared to walk through the stream and enjoy the cool water.

Since this was our first time doing this hike, I was very disappointed that the REAL trailhead wasn’t clearly marked. We 59, 31, 5, 3 year olds parked just off the road and walked to the REAL trailhead, so a 1.5 mile hike turned into FOUR. Some guy, I’m sure thinking he was being funny, said it was another 2 miles. A kind young lady told us, honestly, it was just around the next bend. I was ready to quit and go back to the car. Please don’t send me emails touting the Pro/Pay version when the free side is so wildly inaccurate. This hike should be considered moderate because of the inaccuracies. Many parts of the trail were like a dry, rocky riverbed and very steep.

This would be a beautiful trail. However we advise that you pack water shoes. In order to actually get to the waterfall you have to carefully goes across the creek/river. Your shoes will get wet, so plan accordingly. GPS bring you to a completely different trailhead. Donut falls is actually down the road from the restrooms on the southeast side of the road. It’s about a mile to to the trailhead. There is limited parking. Other than that, it’s easy and pretty.

My son and I went on this hike. We started at the main road and walked all the way in and hiked to the falls and back. It was fun and easy enough for him. Highly recommend it.

This is a beautiful, easy, family friendly hike. We had a great experience here and will be back for sure. We started around 7:00 p.m. in the summer and were in the cool shade the entire time. It was a great way beat Utah's summer heat. Next time we will probably bring shoes that can get wet since you cross the river a little bit at the end.

Solid fun trail. The falls are beautiful and unique as the falls fall into a cave hence why its donut falls. Definitely a fun hike even with kids.

If you want to get to the place where the waterfall cuts through a rock, you have to climb a semi-steep rock face. Difficulty can vary with water-level.

People everywhere ☹️.

Great hike for something quick. Awesome views. Water is really cold so would recommend not falling in. it was pretty crowded. Toward the end is a one person at a time part which takes alot of time to get people across.

Very pretty and easy hike! The only thing I would recommend is waterproof shoes or boots, I wore Chacos and it was a bad idea. The water is freezing! We went around 8:15pm so i'm sure in the middle of the day heat, it's a bit better.

Went on a Saturday afternoon & loved it! We didn't know that you could park right at the start of the trail so we ended up hiking from the very bottom of the parking lot. I just started working on getting fit so it was easy for the people I went with, but harder for me. We didn't take the main trail. There's an easier trail that is down the road more. It's longer but not as steep. There was hardly anyone that took this way so it was nice. The falls were beautiful & it definitely had the right amount of shade along the trail.

too many people... but beautiful

Donut Falls is a short hike, great for a quick easy outing. It is very heavily trafficked, mostly by families. Go early if you want to park close to the trail, or you have to park on the main road.
To get to the actual donut fall you have to climb the face of a minor waterfall, and it is in a cave at the top.
Usually this isn't a hard task but as of now it is still runoff season. You can't stand under the falls right now because the water is too fast. It is definitely dangerous now and I would save this hike for later in the summer if you really want to enjoy the cave and the water.

Beautiful trail and features, and a short, easy hike. Can occasionally be crowded, typically on the weekend.