Donut Falls Trail

EASY 1,432 reviews

Donut Falls Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

Please note a portion of the road leading up to the trail may be closed due to snow well into spring/beginning of summer. The road closure has been reported to start approximately 1/2 mile before the trailhead. The trail is open, but please be sure to wear appropriate footwear as the snow melts.

1 hour ago

bring water shoes!

Nice short hike to the falls. Trail is shadded well and not super rocky but it gets over crowded real quick, so go early to avoid the crowd and to have the falls all to your self.

a fun and easy trail

Short and easy hike. The only tough part was climbing the rocks to get a better view of the falls at the top. Saw a moose (!!!!) and tons of chipmunks along the way. I went on a Sunday around 11am and it was pretty crowded, but there were still plenty of parking spots on big cottonwood canyon road. From there I walked the .75ish miles on the paved road (FR019) to the trailhead.

We started our hike at 8:15 this morning and didn't see many people. Tip: you can park at the trailhead though this app directs you to park along the Big Cottonwood Canyon road. If you go early there will be spaces; otherwise walk a mile to the trailhead. Bold ground squirrels were entertaining.

great all around hike not to difficult unless you want to climb up to get a closer look at the falls.

Fun & easy hike. We parked near the main road & had to walk in on the paved road, but it was still fairly easy. You can try driving all the way to the trailhead to see if you can get a parking spot - be careful not to park in a marked spot that says no parking at any time or you’ll be ticketed (even on Sundays)
My two year old hiked all the way in with the exception of a couple rocky spots. Come willing to get a little wet & you’ll have a good time.
We hiked up to the top where you can see the actual “donut fall”. Brings lots of water & maybe even some snacks.

Great trail for kids. The last little way up to the actual falls is a bit of a scramble but a fun challenge for the kids. We even ran into a few moose on the trails.

I love this hike. Be prepared to wait in certain areas because it’s always busy and with lots of little children. It’s great to see their happy faces but it can be dangerous. Always keep an eye on your children.

Thanks our first nature hike in Utah. It was great for the kids. Some river crossings and pretty forest to walk through. The last part after the bridge was a little tough for our 3 year old (some boulders to climb up and down), so we skipped the actual falls and just played in the water by the bridge.

great trail with kids ages 8,6,2. we saw a moose and 4 deer and a prairie dog that ate out of my daughters hand. your feet get wet at end of trail next time I will bring them water shoes

Nice easy hike for the grandchildren (and for me). Recommend avoiding weekend if possible, very crowded and parking was a mess. Otherwise a delightful hike.

Fairly gentle hike with a fantastic reward awaiting at the end. Beautiful small waterfall. Very nice hike. Perfect late day trip.

Fun easy hike. Get there early for parking and nice weather! 10/10 would go again. Went w/ a 9 year old and he loved it.

We went yesterday morning and got to the trailhead around 8:45am, got great parking, and enjoyed the 65 degree weather. It was gorgeous and the kids all did it easy-peasy! Scrambling up the rocks to the waterfall and stepping into the cave where the water falls through the “donut” hole has to be one of my favorite hiking moments. That’s why we have to do this one at least once a year. As we were hiking down, HOARDS of people were hiking up. Families, school groups, foreigners...everybody’s up for this flavor of donut.

First hike and really enjoyed it! Some inclines and declines! Good for beginners and small children.

We took my 2 year old, she was able to complete the whole trail herself. Very pretty, with lots of shade. We started the trail around 9:00am. It was very crowded on the way back, about 10:30am.

Great family friendly hike. If your willing to get your feet wet and climb some rocks to see the waterfall then it is totally worth it. My wife, myself, and my son (1) had a blast visiting this hike.

The hike was perfect for my kids and me. The only disappointment, which was huge, is the disgusting bathrooms. Absolutely horrendous.

Pretty but too many people for me. Awesome falls but more of a family hike. Plenty of water at the end but still bring some.

If the road is closed you need to plan on an additional mile hike to get to the trailhead (2 additional miles total). Making it a much longer hike for littles. It is fairly easy with a small incline that flattens out regularly. Shade and sun throughout the trail making plenty of spots to rest. We went on a holiday and it was crazy busy.
The falls themselves are small and leave much to be desired. The hike is beautiful so if you’re going for the journey it will be fine but if you’re wanting to see some waterfalls you might be disappointed.
Glad we went but don’t know if we’d repeat it.

Good kid friendly hike, except there is a climb to the bottom of the falls.

nice hike and nice wayerfall. alot of people on the falls. after looking at the falls and walking through the river I hiked up a trail that I previously passed that took me up above the falls. I think I was way past them, but was able to get down to the river. started to walk downstream, but the water was pretty cold. I instead went and found a geocache back up the hill. It was a pretty good time, but like I said....it was popular.

-Very crowded on a Friday afternoon
-Limited parking
-Very short hike (40min)
-Water fall was not that great
-Probably good for younger kids

This was not an easy hike! My kids 12 and 9 did great. My parents 70’s could not do this hike. Up hill with dusty rocky trail. We were worried about older people knees and ankles! Beware: to see the falls you have to go down a bolder maybe 7-8 feet down. Definitely not something for the older inexperienced.

So fun to explore this during the winter. You certainly need good shoes because there is still snow there. We made it to the top and it was really cool to go in the cave!

After reading reviews here, we got there at 8 am. Found a parking spot and off we went. Was not busy at that time. We saw more people on the way back down. At falls it was us and 2 other small groups. Cool nice weather.

This isn’t too much of a hike.. it’s always busy and so many people get injured trying to climb the rocks and up to the falls. Every time I have hiked this to give it another chance, I find myself irritated, so it’s not really worth my time to go again.

great family friendly trail. last bit to the falls is very difficult.