Dog Lake Trail

Dog Lake Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

Dogs are allowed off leash on odd days. Bikes are allowed on even days.

Beautiful easy hike. Super muddy today.

There are two ways up from the parking lot. Make sure you take the one on the right, it's longer in distance but has less snow and isn't steep. The trail on the left is steep, icy and snowy (and very beautiful.) Great hike in the fall!

Great shady trail. Just completed this today (September 29th) and the trail was very muddy/slushy and snowpacked in some places. There are actually a few trails to get up to Dog Park. Dogs absolutely love this trail though, especially if they are water dogs because of the lake. Parking can a little crazy and you might have to deal with angry people looking for a parking space.

This trail is so beautiful in the fall time!

Fun hike with the dogs!

My dog and I very much enjoyed the hike today!

Great hike. Gradual incline. Coverage from the sun is a great plus in the summer. a little chilly this time of year so dress accordingly.

Great trail. Decided to this one because a moose was blocking one of the other ones, dogs loved the lake at the top

Enjoyed the shaded trail & depth of the pines!

Nice forrested hike. Not very steep and well covered.

Excellent hike. I. started the hike at about 3 PM wondering how long it would take to get to the lake with my little Boston terrier. Another fellow hiker informed me that if I took the steeper trail I could get there faster in and out in about 2.5 hours. That is what I did. The hike was a lot steeper than I imagined, it was quite the work out. My dog loved it and so did I, we have been back twice already.

Tips: Dogs off leash on odd days only; $3 park fee upon exit; they accept cash and credit cards.

The trail was well maintained trail. Consistent inclines all the way hiking up. The nature around was vibrant greens with tons of wild flowers. The trail took us about a three hour round trip including a picnic at the lake. Will be back in a month when the leaves start to change for fall.

Awesome trail and my dog loved it!

Did this hike at 7am- we encountered 3 moose. The lake was nice for the dogs .

Great little hike

It was a nice trail. Unfortunately, dog owners of SLC are holed into one canyon and it gets super busy.. I went at 07:30 on Sunday morning. Not terrible on the way up, but overflow was FULL as I left around 08:45. We had a nice time, but someone brought their dog that shouldn't be out on the trails. We were literally at the trailhead, about to jump back in the car, when this dog (on-leash, but not being held) lunged at one of my dogs, grabbing his neck.. my first one got away, then the other one (right behind him) was immediately attacked and pinned to the ground. Please, dog owners, do not bring your dog if there's question about how they'll behave on the trail. Fortunately, no physical damage was done. But, I've already been through so much with one of my dogs.. An event like that can affect how they react to strange dogs in the future. I want my guys to have fun and feel safe on our trails. Please, please, please - use common sense when planning your dog-inclusive activities.

Best trail to take your dogs on, especially
If they love to swim. Get's really busy in the summer on weekends.

Such a pretty hike! Lots of cute puppies!

Beautiful soft trails and scenery and the dogs love it on odd numbered days.

Great trail to hike when summer temps are up. There's shade & wide trails which make for nice small group hiking. There are switchbacks, wildflowers, and the occasional moose. In my experience, the higher elevation makes rattlesnakes a non-issue (I've never seen any here but as always, use care when hiking anywhere in UT as we do have them here) in contrast to hikes in this canyon at lower elevations. This is an outstanding hike to take with a friend for a picnic at the lake. Be sure to bring extra layers & a rain jacket in case of a t-storm as the weather can change rapidly & temps are significantly cooler than in the valley. Headlamps make this a fun night hike, just be sure to check the closing time on the lot if you park in it as the gate closes around 10:00pm.