Dog Lake Reynold's Peak and Butler Fork Loop Trail

Dog Lake Reynold's Peak and Butler Fork Loop Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Came through here first early in the season and the Butler Fork side of the trail was very green and overgrown. Kind of fun wading through tall greenery. Trail is very well defined throughout except for Reynolds Peak which was a bit hazy. Never a question of where to go if you're headed to Dog Lake. No serious inclines or declines but could be considered moderate based on distance. Hiked with a toddler in a backpack and it was great. Super scenic, very pretty. Some shade and meandering water along route. Came back later in the season and the trail had been groomed a bit. Mill D side of trail is less picturesque. Butler Fork side is a bit longer of a trail but worth it to Dog Lake. It's a bit of a walk, obviously, between the two if you want to go in one and out the other but it's possible.

This was a beautiful hike for the most part, but my wife and I just couldn't finish it because of the heat, the lack of shade, and the enormous amount of flies. Not enough trees and too much overgrowth. In my opinion, this is not a hike for July. I will be coming back to try this trail in the Fall and hopefully my review rating will be higher!

Fairly steep but absolutely beautiful!! Worth it every step of the way.

This Dog Lake trail is my favorite. It's perfect for an afternoon picnic at the lake, you can also hike up here and camp! I've seen many moose, deer, snakes, squirrels, and chipmunks on this trail. You have 3 trails to choose from for your hikes up and down, if you don't always like going the same way, like me. All are beautiful in their own way and all are rewarding.

Butler Fork section still mostly snow covered, lost trail at about the 2 mile mark on this map and climbed a rise to the small peak (about 9100 ft.) just north and separated by a saddle from Reynolds Peak. Reynolds looks beautiful and completely snow covered with cornices on top. At that point descended to Dog Lake and took the trail to Mill D North. That is well travelled but snow covered. From the fork down, the trail is mostly clear of snow and Spring is beginning. Lots of crazy squirrels scurrying around. Absolutely breathtaking views and beautiful Spring thaw.

Beautiful views

Going up Dog lake Trail to Reynolds was great but the trail past the lake was poorly marked and we had to take a detour to shimmy up a side trail. But gorgeous views over the last mile. The real issue was we could not find the trail to make it into a loop to Butler's. We shimmied down a loose gravel slope trying to stay with the course on All Trails and never found a trail so we eventually had go back the way we came.

Monday, July 04, 2016

One of the most beautiful hikes there is. I started at Butler Fork and did the loop down Mill D. The Butler Fork half is the most scenic. The incline going up is pretty steady and steep. The vegetation has grown over the trail for quite a way making in very narrow. You will want to wear long pants because you will be pushing through vegetation. Dog Lake is a bust though, not much more than a mud hole. I started early and didn't run into anyone on the trail until Dog Lake and then 6 or so groups coming up Mill
D, as I was going down. The wild flowers are prolific right now. I highly recommend this hike. The only bad part is I had to walk down the highway from Mill D to Butler Fork. It was a pretty stark contrast from being in the quite pristine wilderness to having hundreds of cars speeding past me on the way back to the trailhead. Started at 6:00am and was done by 9:30 back at the car and doing 6.5 miles.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Great hike. Saw a moose, but inched on by. Still a bit of snow up high. Very pretty. Good workout.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Lovely Hike. Enjoyed the gentler slopes coming up Mill D and the denser woods and wilder trail coming down Butler Fork. Dog Lake itself isn't really much to look at, but makes for a fun destination for kids. I left the family at the lake and ran up the Peak for lovely views from the top. Only one patch of snow left below the trail on the butler fork side, so everything on the trail is now dry. And yes, lots of flowers and butterflies.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Monday, June 13, 2016

Hands down some of my favorite hiking in the valley. Both forks on this trail are gorgeous hikes!! I'm obsessed with this trail every year. When the season is right... It's covered in butterflies!