Learn more

Dog Lake Mill D North Fork Trail is a 4.7 mile out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

Length 4.7 mi Elevation gain 1,453 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (677)
Recordings (545)
Completed (1572)
Kurtis McDonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2020
View Kurtis's Recording
Aaron Leete
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020

This hike was great. I really enjoyed the variance in the trail - rocky, meadow, forest, lake, peak. It kept it fresh and made it feel like it went by quickly. Also lots of deer. Took me 56 minutes to Dog Lake, another 25 to Reynold's peak (a very steep half mile further up). 40 minutes to get all the way down.

Jason Howell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trail was great. It was a good challenge, but not too difficult. Lots of wildflowers. The reason I'd give it 4 stars instead of 5 is because Dog Lake itself isn't too impressive. If I did it again I'd start in Millcreek canyon and bring my dog.

View Jason's Recording
Jared Springer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
Hiking

Fun simple hike. Lots of wild flowers. plenty of other hikers, considering it was a Thursday morning. I think I'll go all the way into Millcreek and back next time

View Jared's Recording
Bert Ankrom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

This was the last leg of the Pie and Beer Day Lambs Canyon to Mill B backpack trip. This is pretty steep trail coming down. Dog Lake is gross. Next time I'll do Desolation Lake.

Yuyu Lin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown
View Yuyu's Recording
Jenni L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingBugs

Did this in the evening and it was beautiful and a great temperature. I was actually surprised at how steep the trail was, it’s definitely a climb. The wildflowers this time of year were truly stunning! We saw a moose and numerous deer, so neat. We spaced bug spray and definitely regretted it, we both walked away with quite a few bites. The lake really isn’t that great, but the scenery leading up to it was well worth the hike.

Cameron O'Spealain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020

If you are taking kids be warned there are some steep parts and areas where you might have to carry them. The trail is beautiful with all the wildflowers and what I think were snap dragons (clearly not a botanist) the smell of the earth is incredible. Wife and 4 year old made it about half way before having to stop and turn around. I'll go alone soon and update once I get to see the lake. I would say it's in between moderately to lightly trafficked- but we went close to the hottest part of the day.

Carly Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful. We went about 6:30 and only a few people were on the trial. We got down about 9 and it was heavily packed. Hard to find parking if you are to go later. The hike was pretty light, not too long. The lake was absolutely beautiful and there was a nice log for us to sit on and relax. Great hike for anyone!

Mark StLezin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020

Beautiful! Lots of wild flowers

View Mark's Recording
Jaymie Christensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Hiking

7/22/2020 Lake Desolation, Dog Lake, Reynold’s Peak! The perfect day on a perfect trail. I started at the Mill D trailhead and went to Lake Desolation. The wild flowers are amazing! It rained a little bit...not bad and that just made the flowers more stunning with little rain droplets on them. Passed a few bikers, runners and hikers. Hiked around the Lake & had the place to myself. The path around and meadows leading up to the lake are covered in flowers. I then headed over to Dog Lake from the 1 mile “short cut” after heading back down the trail. This way has beautiful views and is less steep compared to if I had gone back to the main turn off for Dog Lake. Signs are posted and way easy to follow. Dog lake is a muddy brown small lake I wouldn’t make a special trip for. I actually just passed on by up to Reynold’s Peak. Good incline and an easy trail to follow. Nothing sketchy just steep. The views up top were beautiful in every direction. Wild flowers all over and a pile of rocks with a box to leave a note! Took me a long time with the flowers to distract me every other step ha ha 10-11 miles but moderate, a rest day for my knees!

Shaina Snyder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail!! Loved the sights and all of the flowers

View Shaina's Recording
Monica Theriot
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Very pretty. Lots of sun midday. Lake is low.

View Monica's Recording
Adventure Jo
Hiking

Decent hike. Not too crazy and lots of wildlife! All the dogs at the lake from the Millcreek side we’re running round like crazy and were entertaining.

Wendi Wells
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail with lots of wildflowers and I saw a couple of moose. Dog Lake itself is nothing special (more like a large pond). But the trail getting there is spectacular with many shaded areas.

View Wendi's Recording
Gene Cressler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
HikingBugs

What a gorgeous hike. One of my favorites for sure. While almost a 2000 foot elevation gain, the ascent was gradual so it never was too strenuous. The entire hike was filled with beautiful aspen groves and filled with wildflowers. Encountered lots of wildlife that included a few young bucks as well as a female moose. Desolation lake itself is postcard beautiful. Clear, pristine and aqua hues. Hiked back to dog lake and it offered stunning views of the Wasatch range. Will definitely be hiking this again!

View Gene's Recording
Megan P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingRocky

One of the most beautiful hikes I have been on! The trail ot the lake is gorgeous with a lot of pine and Aspen trees, plenty of flowers on bloom this time of year, and herbs if you know how to spot them. Even though it is 4th of July and a Saturday the trial had a normal amount of traffic but beware of bikers. I often had to hop off the trail to let them by. I loved following the creek and the trail was a nice steady incline but nothing to hard until the sign to Dog Lake. Good tree cover a majority of the time. Dog lake itself is nothing special. It is just a stop on the way to many other trails and is a pond. I don't think any water feeds into it so it is small, low and stagnant. Enjoy the hike up, but don't be disappointed by the lake. Also, are dogs allowed in the lake? plenty of people brought there dogs on the trail despite the signs and lots of them were in the water which I thought was part of a watershed... wasn't sure enough to say something to the owners.

Orlando Florez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 2, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Busy on trail, but not overly crowded. Absolutely gorgeous flowers on the ascent. Lots of color and beautiful green pines and aspens. The portion of the trail that follows a stream was a highlight. Easy ascent until the final .5 miles to the lake. The uphill grade gets a bit harder. Water level of dog lake is pretty low right now. Lake itself is slightly underwhelming. On the decent saw a moose (smaller female) chillin in the shade just off the trail. Overall a great hike!

View Orlando's Recording
Alexandra Moyers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike! Steep at the top but a good workout. Dog Lake is uninspiring but we knew that going into it. The rest of the hike is gorgeous! We saw a mom and baby moose on the way up and another moose the last time we did the hike too which is fun, so be aware!

View Alexandra's Recording
Kim Ong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 30, 2020
Hiking

Pretty trail! Nice workout at the end.

View Kim's Recording
Angela Bylund
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Fun trail. We had a large family group (ages 6+) and everyone was able to make it to the top. More of an intermediate hike for the younger ones. We saw a moose close to the trail which was a little scary as he decided if he was interested in us or not. Would definitely do again.

Lindsay Orozco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
HikingBugs

So beautiful and lush, but bring bug spray. I’ll definitely be doing this again!

Mandy Oscarson
Hiking

Beautiful hike! I went up to Desolation Lake, went all the way around, took the first turnoff to Dog Lake, and came back down. 8.54 miles round trip. I wish I'd had gloves and arm warmers for the first 40 minutes as I started just before 7am this morning. But after that was fine. Saw a few deer, beautiful flowers. Awesome morning!

View Mandy's Recording
Meg Warman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2020
Hiking

Nice trail with lots of wildlife! I saw Mule Deer, Badgers, Chipmunks, and cute baby ducks. The lake at the top is a nice reward!

View Meg's Recording
Heidi Clawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 22, 2020
Hiking

Pretty trail! Nice wildflowers and aspen trees. Dog Lake itself is nothing to write home about, but peaceful. Last half mile is pretty steep. The trail sometimes has shade.

View Heidi's Recording
Holly Huang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike 3 days ago. Trail conditions excellent, damp but not muddy, no snow. Lake looks great! I prefer this route over the Millcreek side.

Anna Packard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Took just a little over two hours and we sat and ate a snack at the lake. Beautiful evening. Saw a moose and several deer. Lots of small blue bells (I’m not a flower expert but that’s what they look like) along the trail.

Stephen Johansen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

Went from Dog Lake to Desolation Lake for a little more than a 9 mile loop. Excellent hike. Saw a bull moose and some deer.