Dino Cliffs Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Washington, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 318 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

The trail is primarily a single track, dirt and sandy trail with some slickrock areas. It changes to a solid trail that leads right down to the dinosaur tracks. As you bottom out on the trail you will see a slate rock surface in part of the stream bed to the left of the trail. In the hardened sedimentary rock you can find 17 well preserved dino tracks. . The trail is well-marked with trail signs and cairns but there are a couple of areas where you need to pay close attention to the trail. The trail provides nice views of the red-rock “Dino” cliffs, and there are dinosaur footprints in the first wash about 200 yards from the start of the trail at the west end.

I was pleasantly surprised with this trail, the dino tracks themselves were cool to see and the scenery through the rest of the trail was nice.

Very very hot. Early morning or late evening. Honestly for hiking there are better tails in the area.

Beautiful area and trail. Really like the terrain and the views. Dinosaur tracks are at the base of the initial down hill and marked with a slim marker. Watch for rattlesnakes; saw one, saw their tracks in the sandy parts and heard one in a bush near the trailhead.

My boyfriend and I hiked this trail and we loved the views. We were disappointed in the dinosauer tracks because they were covered in sand.

The pup and me love this one. A little shade at the very beginning. Love the views.

Hard to find trail entrance. If we didn’t have this app I #1 wouldn’t have ever found it and we would have totally missed the Dino tracks. Fun little hike with kids but kind of boring after the first bit.

fun hike and the dino tracks are pretty cool. There's lots of sand on the tracks, so you have to look good. Maybe a small broom would be good if you're looking for good pics. The directions to get to the trailhead on Google maps are off though. The directions take you to a dirt road (Main St) too far south. You have to go North one road over and the trailhead is on that road just below the water tank and cell tower.

The only thing that sets this trail apart from all the others in this general area of the red cliffs conservation area is the dinosaur tracks. They were super neat! And, potentially hard to miss. They are directly at the bottom of the first big sand hill you come down from the trailhead. Look for limestone. There’s a whole bunch of them! Some where harder to identify because of sand that had been blown onto them. I would recommend bringing a soft brush type thing if you really want to get a good look at them without causing damage.

not really a trail more like a couple of roads behind a subdivision that the local runners use. No signage of any kind until the last 500ft , I even asked a couple of locals where the trail branched off and they didn't know. Another hiker recommended using satalite view then picking the road yourself rather than using google . the proper way is take the road to the giant cistern. That said a decent place to take your dog off leash.

good

This trail is a hidden gem. The views are spectacular, the Dino cliffs are tall and structural to give a nice appeal. Early spring and late fall are the best times to hike this trail.

Nice quick not to difficult trail. I didn’t feel like there was a lot of extra views or neat things to see but well-maintained and marked. Dinosaur tracks cool to see.

Mon May 27 2019

The Dino marks are hard to see and at the very beginning of the trail. At the end there are some fun rocks for the kids to play on and around.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Excellent Ride. We took grapevine up to this trail and rode it from east to west, which made the incline bearable for a beginner/ intermediate rider as myself. There were a couple parts I had to walk down which a more experienced rider could easily do. The very west end of the trail is all red sand which we could not ride in. The ATV trail we rode to access the west end was pretty sandy as well. There is no way I could've rode the incline up that ATV trail. Beautiful views, great terrain. the only reason I gave it 4 stars was my skill set, not the trails problem. It would've been impossible for me to ride west to east.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Nice, fairly flat loop and if you're lucky you will see the dinasour footprint

Sun Mar 31 2019

Trail is hard to get to. Need an suv or truck/jeep. Bring a broom or blower to expose the Dino tracks.

Fri Jan 18 2019

IMPORTANT: tracks at bottom of first hill, raised tracks in first picture are not on the trail

Sun Jan 13 2019

My friend and I hit this trail yesterday. We walked 2.5 miles out all the way to the grapevine trail and then headed back not seeing anything. The tracks are right at the beginning, at the bottom of the first hill not far from the trailhead. We completely missed them going in. We laughed so hard. Despite the little sign talking about the tracks, we didn’t realize that was where they were located. Lots of sand covered the tracks. In fact the track in the first picture (the raised one with the interesting patterns in the rock) was completely covered. We had a blast either way. The entire trail is beautiful. Also the dirt road from the neighborhood to the trailhead was easy to drive in my 2WD truck.

Sat Jan 12 2019

Beautiful hike! I was hoping to see more dinosaur tracks along the hike other than those that are at the bottom of the first hill. I never did see the tracks shown in the first picture for this trail. Not sure where that track is located. The scenery is gorgeous and worth hiking the full trail out and back. Follow-up to my post. It turns out the raised dinosaur track currently shown as the first picture for this hike is not actually a dinosaur track that is on this hike. It can be found a couple of miles from this hike at the St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm. https://www.utahdinosaurs.com/

Sun Dec 02 2018

Easy trail. Just expect to climb steep climb in the sand going back to your vehicle,

Wed Oct 10 2018

Gorgeous trail with stunning red cliffs and dino prints. However, it is short and you can hear traffic on the highway and see the sprawl of town on nearly the entire hike. The dino prints were covered with sand from recent rain when I was there. You may need to look closely and brush them off. Be careful not to step on them, they are right on the trail.

Mon Oct 08 2018