Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches

Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thompson, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,069 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

partially paved

This is a wonderful hike that allows you to see up to six natural arches. The main trail is well maintained, and wide. The first spur trail takes you to Tunnel Arch and Pine Tree Arch. The trail leads to Landscape Arch, which at 306' long is one of the largest natural spans in the world. After visiting Landscape Arch, you begin your only significant uphill climb of the trip. You will walk well below Wall Arch, then climb higher to spur trails to Navajo and Partition Arch. At this point retrace the main trail back to the trailhead or continue on for an additional 2 1/4 miles for views of Double Arch and Dark Angel.

The full loop (including primitive side) was amazing! I went around all the arches first thing to beat the crowds, and finished down the primitive loop. It seemed the easier direction as well. Highly recommend every single side trail!

Super fun trail! We did the loop starting on the main trail going up & the primitive going down plus the additional trip to Dark Angel (not an arch, but a cool formation none the less). I’d rate this as maybe moderate plus primarily due to length, though hiking this trail in the summer may be another story. Loved walking on the fins & finding amazing formations around every corner. Make sure to get in early as parking is tight. A must hike!

Great hike with spectacular views. The primitive trail is the way to go. Recomend going early to beat the crowds, started at about 7:30 and finished around 11:15.

Pretty awesome hike, could be way tougher in the summer from when the heat and temps are highest. Allows you to see a ton of arches, and the primitive part of the loop is a great experience, with scrambling and light climbing. If you don’t want to do the whole loop, you can always turn back at any point! If you have limited time in arches, I would go elsewhere however.

recorded Devil’s Garden Loop

Amazing but challenging trail. All the spur trails are worth checking out with great views and pictures, except Dark Angel - that one can be skipped. Some tricky scrambling on the Primitive Trail.

A great trail! There are manny amazing views and cool geologic formations. Five star views and super unique area of the country. The only thing that keeps this from being a five start trail is that it’s not always the best marked in the primitive areas, so people have made many of their own trails; not always easy to follow and sad to see

Fun trail, views of arches, light scrambles over rock, fair amount of people

Best hike I’ve done at Arches. It’s not an easy trail by any means but not extremely hard. There were a few places where were ended up off the trail but it wasn’t too hard to find the way back. I wouldn’t recommend this trail to anyone who isn’t in relatively good shape or scared of heights.

Gorgeous Views. Has a few hard spots. But worth it.

Gorgeous and fun with lots of great arches. My favorite was Partition Arch.

very nice, crazy windy on ridge out

Great morning hike for folks with decent physical condition and ability to navigate by cairns. As long as you pay attention for cairns, the route is pretty well marked. As other reviewers have noted there is a little bit of scrambling and some exposed sections on the top of fins. We went counter clockwise first thing in the morning. Beautiful to see the sun light up the SE face with the low sun to your back. Took just under 4 hours including lunch stop and all the side trails. Went though 2-3L of water each in October. Start counterclockwise on the primitive trail just before Landscape Arch. It was much more spectacular with mid morning sun on the back of the loop. Navajo Arch is very neat and you can hike under the arch and out the crevice behind it with a little scrambling. Skip the side trail to Partition Arch because you will see it off the trail in the way back.

Too many people that don't know hiking etiquette. The arches are beautiful, but the people spoil the pictures. Once was enough, I wouldn't go again.

What an AWESOME hike!!!!! We had a great time seeing every arch (felt like an adult playground!). We started around 1pm-ish and did the trail counter-clockwise (seemed like most people did it clockwise), so most of the arches were toward the latter part of our hike. Seems like most people missed/chose not to do Private Arch, which is a shame, as it was one of my favorites. The hike was mostly in the sun, so take plenty of water (and snacks) and wear sun screen. You need to be in reasonably good shape and not afraid of heights, as parts of the trail take you up/across rock fins. Cairns were a huge help, as well as the occasional arrow drawn on rock tops, as it can be easy to drift from main trail.

Many sandy passages, but partly, for me, also difficult passages, where my husband had to help now and then. Scenic very beautiful and worthwhile! With a lot of photos, a few times lost and breaks have covered 14 km and a total of 4 hours needed.

Wife and I got there around 08:45 on a Tuesday in early October. Several parking spots available. Arches are not on the actual loop but at the end of little shoots and stems poking off the loop. Dramatic views with some challenging areas. Lots of cairns guiding the way. Saw some mule deer near Tunnel and Pine Tree arch trails. Crowds already started to build by the time we reached Landscape. Took the loop “clockwise”, which is to say the side of the loop with the most Arches. Partition was my favorite because if you take time to do a little bouldering and climbing, you can get a topside view of Landscape to the east. Took time to visit Dark Angel, which I felt was not visited by as many people. Private Arch offers some great views if you take time to go out on the inclined fins to see the surrounding area. The hike after Private Arch going clockwise was a goodly portion of trekking uphill in the sand. Finished the hike in 4.5 hours. The parking lot was a cluster as we were leaving. If you like hikes but not so much crowds, get there no later than 08:45.

Beautiful blue sky with the red rock is my favorite! In the summer time, it is way too hot with no shade. The fall and spring time is perfect. I absolutely recommend NOT bringing children under 10. I made the mistake a few years ago, and luckily we came out okay but I still have anxiety over it. There are too many slick drop offs and the gusts of wind can come unexpectedly and are powerful.

Awesome hike. Explored almost all the arches along the loop, which adds more mileage, but well worth it. Took us 5 and a half hours, should have brought lunch and more than 2 liters of water each. Lots of walking and butt sliding on rocks. Awesome views. One place was a little scary for my wife--a 15ft traverse along a rock that had a pretty good incline. Slow and easy did it.

I would recommend this trail to healthy adults that are moderately fit with good balance. There were 3 pretty hard parts, a good amount of moderate, and some super easy spots. We did the whole loop and it was almost 7.9 miles. We got off the trail twice but with this app we got back on. I don’t recommend this to children and adults that have bad balance or a bad back. We had to scoot down in 2 spots. We did the trail clockwise and I feel it is a little easier that way. Going counter clockwise would be more difficult as you would have to go up some steep spots as to going down them. It was absolutely stunning and one of our favorite hikes! Amazing pictures of the views. It was well trafficked as we saw a good amount of people on the trail. The whole hike has things to look at not just a few spots on a hike. We were excited to see things the whole time! The arches are so neat and there are 7 of them! And the end angel was amazing! So glad we did it!!! Have fun!!!

This “primitive” trail was our favorite of the trip to Arches. We also recommend counterclockwise. It was refreshing to hike on a real trail in a National Park. It was challenging and offered a ton of off-course photo ops and scrambling/climbing challenges. I would also say the Landscape is the most beautiful in the park.

We hiked counterclockwise as many people here recommended. It seemed like we were the only ones who were though everyone we encountered was going opposite of us. It was nice to end on an easier note. We did everything expect Dark Angel. Took us just under 4 hours including taking time for pictures and a lunch break.

We did the Devils Garden Loop Trail clockwise as a run/walk starting just before sunrise at 7am. It was a lot of fun visiting the 7 arches and Dark Angel taking photos as we went, making it feel a bit like a scavenger hunt. We got lost once but easily backtracked to the trail. It was at this point that we learnt to follow the numerous rock cairns marking the trail. The early start was definitely the go. Besides getting the best light and cool of the day, we missed most of the crowds and heat.