Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches

Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thompson, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,069 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

partially paved

This is a wonderful hike that allows you to see up to six natural arches. The main trail is well maintained, and wide. The first spur trail takes you to Tunnel Arch and Pine Tree Arch. The trail leads to Landscape Arch, which at 306' long is one of the largest natural spans in the world. After visiting Landscape Arch, you begin your only significant uphill climb of the trip. You will walk well below Wall Arch, then climb higher to spur trails to Navajo and Partition Arch. At this point retrace the main trail back to the trailhead or continue on for an additional 2 1/4 miles for views of Double Arch and Dark Angel.

Super cool hike, flat can be hot bring water. Don't miss double arch!

A great trail to see Arches. We took the regular trail out and the Primitive back. We had no trouble following the trail markings, look for cairns and driftwood. The primitive route did require a little more climbing, scaling down rocks. Well worth your time!!

Amazing views and great fun - straight-forward until landscape arch. Should probably have turned back there or shortly after as I didn’t have particularly grippy boots and the wet weather, wet sand and slickrock made for some extremely slippery sections on primitive loop trail. Mostly it was manageable but one angled cliff was particularly dangerous in the wet conditions (one hiker nearly fell down it, would’ve slid a steep 20ft down). I would call that section non-technical climbing, not simply hard hiking... More signage highlighting the dangers in wet/snow would be welcome!! (Or even better, a rope!). Be careful with this one folks!

So amazing! I think I said wow like 947251904x. I'd recommend experienced hikers only. Bring too much water, and a flashlight if you're starting later in the day.

great hike. again, don't know why people struggle with primitive track. well marked in alltrails and with branches - and cairns! 9.1 miles with our wee explorations around each sight.

Beautiful hike! Breathtaking landscape.

Such a fun trail! Started hiking 40 minutes before the sunrise. 3 cars in the parking lot. Stopped briefly at Tunnel, pinetree, landscape And navajo arches before taking a water break at partition to enjoy the amazing view. If i were to do it again I’d bee-line to partition to watch the sun crest over all that space. Saw double-o and dark angel before turning around and heading out on the primitive path. I was a little weary reading some reviews and was happily surprised at how easy it was to navigate. Every time i would begin to question where i was supposed to go a happy little cairn would be sitting there guiding the way. If a trail has wood blocking it that means stay out. Going on the primitive path for the way back meant almost no rock climbing at all as much as hopping off waist sized boulders onto sand. I would highly recommend it. By the time i reached the car the sun was out and the parking lot was full! Would definitely recommend a sunrise hike here as i was totally alone for the great majority of it.

Great trail! We hiked up the main trail, did all the points of interest, and then returned via the primitive trail. 1) don’t bother with “Dark Angel”... it is just a spire. Meh. 2) the Primitive Trail isn’t as hard to follow as some people make it out to. Look for the work part of the bedrock, look for cairns, look for paths that are block by wood indicating to not follow the false path. 3) primitive trail was actually my favorite part of the trail, walking down between the fins was super cool. 4) the primitive trail does have a fair bit of sand at times... which can get annoying. 5) our gps watch said the final distance was 8.5 miles. 6) My favorite arch was Partition

Great trail, difficult enough to make it fun. Poorly marked but it’s primitive so, ya know. I definitely went off trail a bunch. Luckily I had my AllTrails map. I definitely recommend downloading it beforehand. I went the opposite way on the trail than everyone else did (it seemed) and I was in complete solitude for a good amount of the hike. I stagers at the first primitive trail sign.

Great hike. Did the main trail to Dark Angel and hit all of the spurs to see the arches. I took the primitive trail back and lost it shortly after passing the Private Arch turnoff. I ended up getting sort of lost on top of the rocks on the east side and had to get down into the valley to get back to the trail. The primitive trail didn’t really provide any new views for the hike, just a clearer look at the plains to the east. Unless you really want to see private Arch or add mileage, I would suggest doing Dark Angel as an out and back. I’d give it 5 stars if I had done that, but the primitive trail was just difficult to follow (other hikers I ran into seemed to agree).

A nice way to immerse yourself in a world of arches and unique rock formations. A must-do for Arches visitors who want space from the crowds, as it's one of few trails that are long enough to spread people out and create a sense of solitude.

Be wary that trail markers are a bit sparse on the primitive trail, but otherwise great hike!

Hate to say it but this trail is overrated. Landscape arch is just ok. You can’t get up close to it. The best arch on the hike is partition and Navajo, they make the moderate trek worth it.

My husband and I did this hike on Thursday afternoon. It was spectacular! We visited all 7 arches and the Dark Angel. We felt like the Primitive Trail was well marked and easy to follow. We spent about 4 hours on the trail.

Great views! The premative trail was awesome and we only saw a few people on our way! Enjoyed this 7.5 mi hike a lot

Great views of a bunch of arches, there are some good rock scrambles, so you walking stick old-people turn around. Too many people mid October.

Best thing to do in arches besides the delicate arch. Our three year old did it

I would recommend using the All Trails recording to make sure you don't get lost! Also, a wet bandana on your head is the DREAM.

Great hike. Takes you across Fins. Went over the fins after landscape arch. Did primitive trail to get back. Lots of beautiful arches. Be sure to go see the Navajo arch. On primitive trail there is one ledge that is very steep and tricky the rest is just over fins and through the wash. Did not go to dark angel I showed 7.2 miles visiting all the other arches. Even on the primitive trail it was easy to follow there were white arrows and Cairns

I liked the challenge this trail posed, but did not like the way the trail was marked. I got lost numerous times and didn't see any clear direction markets. The trail is fun though, and takes you over and on top of arches.

Awesome trail. Highly concentrated dose of arches. Would recommend starting early and go clockwise, this way you avoid the crowds for the more popular sections, and you get great lighting on the early arches. The primitive loop section has one particularly difficult part where you have to carefully navigate a steep ledge, but all levels of hiker seemed to be navigating it