Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches

Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thompson, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

This is a wonderful hike that allows you to see up to six natural arches. The main trail is well maintained, and wide. The first spur trail takes you to Tunnel Arch and Pine Tree Arch. The trail leads to Landscape Arch, which at 306' long is one of the largest natural spans in the world. After visiting Landscape Arch, you begin your only significant uphill climb of the trip. You will walk well below Wall Arch, then climb higher to spur trails to Navajo and Partition Arch. At this point retrace the main trail back to the trailhead or continue on for an additional 2 1/4 miles for views of Double Arch and Dark Angel.

Amazing trail. It can get pretty hot, I was hiking in April and it was really hot. Sometimes the trail is not marked very well so one can get easily lost.

Mid February 2018... early morning start. We went clockwise. No map.No idea what we were in for. I'm NOT in shape and wasn't sure what to expect. Seeing someone up the first fin, I thought they were just having fun and taking selfies... until I realized I had to go that way. I'm afraid of heights as well. Having said all that... I had an absolutely amazing time! Super high winds and blowing snow made for some dangerous areas and there were a few that made the extremely tall fin that turned around.. not hiking with a partner. Bad idea. I doubted my abilities several times only because I've never hiked something this long. We took lunch breaks and stopped to look around. It was freezing so I didn't get as many pictures as I wanted.. hated digging for camera or phone. Wasn't prepared for scrambling rocks.. but glad I went clockwise because for me it is easier going down rock faces than up. Really wasn't prepared for the so called puddle or the young lady crying at the puddle. Once across, she and her husband helped my crossing. Thanks guys! Only slipped a few times and almost slid into frigid water. Take waders or a change of shoes and socks... the potential to end up in icy water in cold months is severe. I have to do this stuff in colder weather because of medical conditions... but I'd still suggest off season times. Chances of bus loads of tourists showing up is scaled way down... but we still ran into them in the park at the easier arches. Beautiful trail and even though that day I swore never again.. now that I understand and better know what to expect... DEFINITELY would do it again. More pictures next time!

Fabulous hike! Best bang for your buck if you're wanting to see as many arches as possible in a day. Some areas could be concerning for hikers who are scared of heights or who aren't sure footed. For the typical hiker, this is a 'must-do' in my books!

Loved this hike around Arches. You go on side excursions/trails that will take you to eight arches total if you follow the whole trail. Every Arch was unique! We paired this with the Devils Garden Loop for a full day of hiking.

We did the entire primitive loop. It was a fun hike. There was some minor scrambling, but nothing too difficult. I thought we would see more arches on the primitive loop, so that was the only disappointment for me. But overall it was great and I highly recommend it for anyone in average shape who enjoys going beyond the normal hiking trails.

Fantastic hike. Certainly moderately strenuous, and there are a couple spots that require some basic scrambling. If you have someone in you group that is terrified of heights this is probably not the best hike for you as the trail takes you very close (feet) from sheer cliffs. We were able to complete it even in a wind storm that blew through which had up to 50mph gusts at some points. If you’re going during wind make sure you have a Buff or bandana to cover your face. The wind whips up the sand and dust and it’ll get everywhere! Totally worth doing the whole loop as the views were amazing.

Happy trails!

This is a don’t miss day hike in Arches. Be the first one there in the am to avoid parking and crowd issues. Also do the “loop” portion clockwise to easy some of the difficult spots.

Loved this trail. I took the primitive loop side first starting at 9am. I loved the challenge along with amazing views! Be sure to have on hiking shoes to complete this route as it has some slick and steep parts you have to get through.

Once I passed the Double O Arch on the other side of the loop, the trail started to get rather congested. Go early AM to this trail is my recommendation!

This trail was a spectacular with great views and a combination of hiking on a wide sandy trail and some scrambling over rock. That included a couple dicey spots that folks with fear of heights found “interesting”.

We started early and not many people on the trail to start. When finished, a lot of people were showing up. We did the arch side first followed by the primitive trail back.

Could have done with a few fewer people on this trail but it didn’t take away from the experience. Tons of awesome rock formations and arches on this trail. The out and back portion to Dark Angel isn’t the coolest part of the trail so if you’re looking to cut a little distance that wasn’t a must-see for me. Good shoes with grip helped a lot in some spots. There is a bit of bouldering but nothing too extreme or strenuous. Highly recommended for people wanting to do some hiking on a national park trail that’s slightly more challenging.

Neat trail, wear sunscreen and hydrate.

Fantastic hike, spectacular views. Certain areas where you are kinda scrambling, but so worth it. One note: have good shoes. Nothing slick bottomed.

Awesome Hike! Loved the varied terrain and super grateful for the cairns leading the way. Grippy shoes are a must...MUST! Saw quite a few strugglers trying to get up and down the slick rock. The arches are fabulous...but being in among the fins was the highlight!

Scenery the whole way! Spectacular with lots of varied terrain from sandy creek beds to sandstone climbs!

Fantastic trail! This was one of the highlights of our trip to Arches.

Definitely do the entire loop if possible. We actually found the primitive trail portion to be easier than the main trail because there was less time on the windy, exposed high rocks — also, the primitive trail is very well marked with cairns, so if you keep an eye out for those you won’t get lost.

Absolutely awesome hike. Glad we did the entire hike. We went counter-clockwise and we were glad we did. Not very many people on the primitive trail. Make sure you have good shoes with good grip because you do have to do some scrambling. The views were spectacular and going the direction we did, we were able to avoid a lot of the crowds.

easily some of the best views in the usa. The primitive trail can get a touch hard to follow at times but we always found our way back. Pro version with offline trail map is recomended for this trail.

Great hike ! Solid difficulty. I know I probably don’t have to say this on this website but please wear appropriate footwear for this hike. There is a lot of scrambling at some parts and a girl got stuck because she was hiking in converse.....

The trail itself was awesome but just a word of warning... we went just after they got some snow and there were a lot of high risk situations where slipping on ice could’ve ruined the day. Also, if you were hiking clockwise just about in the last mile or so there is a giant what I would call a mini pond with two rock faces on each side. And the only way over is just walking through the ice water. We were with two folks who pulled off some American ninja warrior type move and ran over the side of the rock face. Haha I’m just not a risk taker like that.

Hiked counterclockwise, loved the less-crowded "Primitive Trail" section. We got seriously off-track when getting back onto the main trail from the Double-O arch, and ended up scrambling across a fin to get back on track; not very well-marked if you're going the opposite direction like we were. Extremely windy on the scary high fin section, which was freaky--be careful! Absolutely beautiful though, and no snow/ice to speak of when we went. The Partition arch and Dark Angel formation have the best views imo!

Think this should be a registered hike...Only to account for those who might not make it out. A few of us were "lost" here and there. It was super windy and snowing on occasion. Were some pretty cold points with the snow coming down. For a beginner afraid of heights, with health issues, it took me longer than most but I was still able to do it. Two helping hands from strangers... one letting us know we were going the right way and the other literally lent a hand across a rock face... above a huge puddle with no way around. This is one time I didnt let pride get in the way. Butt crawling and all is involved in this hike. Beautiful views of everything. Went clockwise. For those of us out of shape... this makes for a difficult hike. Go prepared for anything... including plunging off a rock face into the the occasional massive puddle :) Thanks random stranger for keeping me dry!

Beautiful hike that we started early. Should have taken the advice provided by other reviewers on All Trails, we hiked this loop trail clockwise and somewhere missed a sign and ended up further in the gardens than other tracks show and we didn't deem to go in as far NW as other tracks. That said, beautiful hike. There was a crisp blue sky which contrasted beautifully with the red rock and arches.

One of the best in USA!

Amazing views, tons of arches, and solid difficulty level. Did this in the winter and it was much less crowded than it seems to be in the summer.

There is a steep bit of slick rock on the northeast corner of the trail. I suggest doing the whole trail clockwise and sliding down on your butt for this section of you're struggling with it.

Only hiked about 2 miles (counterclockwise) due to time, but this is first on my list next time in Arches.

Epic trail. Backpacked thousands of miles and usually the signs warn of difficulty when there is no need. however, this trail is not difficult perse, but it definitely has some seriously sketchy parts to it. .. atleast in winter. trail would be much easier in summer... though hotter.

Gets busy quick

Hiked it clockwise in the snow. Make sure you have good hiking boots and snow traction as some steep parts are quite dicey.