Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches

Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thompson, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,069 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

partially paved

This is a wonderful hike that allows you to see up to six natural arches. The main trail is well maintained, and wide. The first spur trail takes you to Tunnel Arch and Pine Tree Arch. The trail leads to Landscape Arch, which at 306' long is one of the largest natural spans in the world. After visiting Landscape Arch, you begin your only significant uphill climb of the trip. You will walk well below Wall Arch, then climb higher to spur trails to Navajo and Partition Arch. At this point retrace the main trail back to the trailhead or continue on for an additional 2 1/4 miles for views of Double Arch and Dark Angel.

Hiking the full Primitive Trail loop is absolutely worth it. It’s no harder or more difficult than the main trail up to Double O (I never once had to check my map while on it - it is marked very frequently with cairns or otherwise clear footpaths). The only time I did get confused was where the switch back occurs right before Double O Arch up on the fin. The scrambling might be too much for those afraid of heights, but it was absolutely jaw dropping and I was able to manage all of it without pain even with chronic knee problems. I recommend doing the loop clockwise as early as possible - I was able to check out all the arches almost always alone this way, and then just grind out the mostly flat, less exciting last part of the loop. By starting at 7am late August, the sun is still behind the fins so I even had partial shade for much of the hike, up to where Private Arch meets the loop. The park was getting much busier every passing hour.

A beautiful Trail in Arches Park, to be done early in the morning, to enjoy the coolness and the sunrise.

I liked this trail, but wouldn’t do the entire thing again. The 1.7 mile, eastern side of the trail wasn’t nearly as interesting to me as the entire west side of the trail. I would think strongly about treating this as an down and back rather than a loop. It would add mileage, but would be a much more interesting trail. Begin at the trailhead and go as far as private arch.

A superb hike with children of 12 and 9 years old. Some difficult but acceptable parts. 1st part we were alone on the trail until halfway!

Awesome trail, get there early to avoid the crowds. Recommend doing Primitive Trail counter clockwise...trail can be hard to navigate once you get to Private Arch cutoff going the other direction. Very cool trail features like walking along sandstone fins and some light scrambling.

One of the most beautiful hikes I have done so far. We left early in the morning and walked the trail counterclockwise. Until the Double O Arch we were almost alone. The climbs in the primitive loop part are sometimes quite difficult and demanding. From the Double O Arch it was full or full, because there was also oncoming traffic. We had 2 liters of water each and we have drunk this. We needed 4 hours with the photo breaks.

Great trail. I suggest downloading the AllTrails map prior to arrival. A little tough to navigate. Beautiful views. I started at 745 and there were about 20 cars in the lot. I finished around 1045 and probably at least a hundred cars and three tour buses. Hike early

Absolutely loved this hike. We got to the trailhead just after 7 am in August. Definitely start early to avoid crowds and sun. Some shade. We did the whole loop with all side jaunts except Dark Angel. Took just under 4 hours. No real issues following the trail though it does help to download the offline Google map to check. Great scenery that changes as you go. The rock scrambles and fins require no special skill other than not being afraid of heights. A few steep spots but lots of level walking as well. Parts of the primitive section are deep sand which is a little annoying for hiking. I'd label this as moderate overall for most people. If you only do one side jaunt, do Partition Arch. Saw a mule deer. We did stumble onto a somewhat racey photo shoot for going on at Navajo Arch.

Amazing hike. The trail is in good shape and well marked. So much to see and enjoy. A few spots that require a little scampering up and down slickrock.

I'll start off by saying this is my new all-time favorite hike. It's stunningly beautiful and very unique. Highly highly recommend this hike, it brought Arches NP to a whole new level. I completed this hike on a Thursday morning. As per recommendations here, I got started early. Left Moab at 4:55AM and it was 80°. Arrived at the trailed at 5:35AM and it was 66°. I was the first car to arrived. It was still quite dark when I started the hike with the sky just beginning to lighten up. I took the split to the right to follow the primitive trail first counterclockwise. I saw many animals and animal tracks in the sand. The path was very easy to follow if you keep your eyes up and looking for signs. The small stone towers and conveniently placed deadwood elimated all uncertainty throughtout this section of the hike. After viewing private Arch, made it to dark angel in 1hr 45m. Didn't see a single other person until I returned to the main loop after viewing dark angel. At this point I began seeing a steady stream of groups, which increased exponentially once I looped back to landscape Arch. Including all the side splits, it took me 3h 5m to completed the whole hike. It was 77° when I returned to my car and I drank <2L over the hike though I brought 4L. I hiked at a lively continuous pace but did not rush, and I stopped for many many pictures. I think the difficulty and beauty of the hike would be idential doing the loop clockwise or counterclockwise. The main consideration is that you will have more solace and privacy during the first half of the hike, so plan your hike accordingly. I wasn't terribly concerned with getting perfect pictures of the arches without other hikers so I enjoyed the totally privacy I got doing the counterclockwise primitive loop first. Others may prefer to see all the arches first without other tourists to get better photos. There is very very little overhead shade during the hike so I expect it gets very hot and exhausting during midday, highly recommend hiking as early as possible as I did. The primitive loop section including the section between landscape Arch and double O Arch requires scrambling up steep rock walls and walking along exposed rock faces. I had no trouble with it and I think most people in decent shape could handle it, but it's not for everyone, I would be weary with kids. Definitely do not attempt during high gusting winds, rain, or lightning.

We enjoyed this hike, left early and was on trail by 6:45 am. We did all the arches but Dark Angel, our 3 kids 10,13,15 really enjoyed the arches and changes in trail surface during hike. We made the 7.3 mile hike in 3.5 hours. Adhere to lots of water and not hiking during hottest times. The primitive trail was well marked for us we had a harder time finding the Double O arch.

This trail begins with the landscape arch hike. Once you pass landscape arch there is a more technical hike through a very beautiful loop with sandstone arches and fins. Part of the trail was either washed out or traveled so little that we weren’t sure we were on it. But it’s one of the more fun and less busy hikes in the park.

Great hike. We did it in July. Bring lots of water and start early. My husband and I both drank 2 liters. Also, I would recommend bringing a snack. According to the National park sign it’s 7.9 miles if you do all of the side hikes to all of the arches which we did. The last half of the trail isn’t marked incredibly well. You have to look out for rock cairns to make sure you go the right way. There’s a good amount of rock scrambles Over all though great hike that I would highly recommend!

We went clockwise and it was perfect. We started at 7:40 and ended at 10:30. Half of the trail was shady and we were lucky with it being cloudy with a nice breeze for 3/4 of the hike. There were 5 cars there when we atrived and the parking lot was full when we left. Definately do all of the off shoot trails as you will see some great views. Great hike with ages 17-50+.

Nice trail. Not hard or overly strenuous. I would say that if you have (or someone in your party has) a fear of heights, you may want to skip it. Two spots can freeze them up (narrow tall fin crossing and steep slick rock decent of clockwise).

We started early (6:30 am) and walked the trail counterclockwise. In my opinion this is more a moderate trail since there was only one difficult section of slickrock to climb. We loved it all the 4,45 hours! Partition arch was a nice hidden gem.

This is one of my favorites. Beautiful scenery. Wear sunscreen & hat & obviously take lots of water. Travel light because you scramble over some rocky areas.

This was a great trail. We went counter clockwise as several had suggested. On the way back, the rock climb on the main trail was getting packed. Go early or late. The Primitive trail was difficult at times to find the trail. AllTrails was perfect. We even got off trail for a while and easily found our way back. My 15 year old son and 13 year old daughter enjoyed a lot.

Tremendous 9-mile loop on Devil’s Garden and Primitive Trail including all the spurs. Started at 6:20am, took about 4 hours with stops for water. Arches were awesome and Primitive Trail topography was unique and outstanding. Go to Private Arch! Awesome place. Took 2.5L of water per person and used it all - was about 90 degrees when we finished around 10:30am. Hiked with kids ranging 10 to 20 yrs. - not a “hard” hike but moderate I’d say.