Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches

Devils Garden Loop Trail with 7 Arches is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thompson, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

This is a wonderful hike that allows you to see up to six natural arches. The main trail is well maintained, and wide. The first spur trail takes you to Tunnel Arch and Pine Tree Arch. The trail leads to Landscape Arch, which at 306' long is one of the largest natural spans in the world. After visiting Landscape Arch, you begin your only significant uphill climb of the trip. You will walk well below Wall Arch, then climb higher to spur trails to Navajo and Partition Arch. At this point retrace the main trail back to the trailhead or continue on for an additional 2 1/4 miles for views of Double Arch and Dark Angel.

Trail signage could be better but few areas are as breathtakingly beautiful. Bring a hat and water up.

Fantastic! Saw all 7 arches and walked at a pretty leisurely pace, taking pictures, stopping to admire each arch. 6 hours with zero rush. Trail becomes more difficult after landscape arch (transitions from paved to scrambling over boulders). Route is relatively well marked. Don’t miss Partition Arch - our favourite (plan to stay here and chill for half hour or more if you have the luxury of time! Very few people - so tranquil). If you are fit and able with good knees and no fear of heights, take the primitive loop back. We saw no one on this part of the trail and it wasn’t that much more challenging then other parts of the loop (note - there was no water crossing on the primitive loop when we went - perhaps check with a ranger in advance).

Great, unique hike and one of my favorites. Started at 5:30 am to beat the heat and crowds. Park is open 24 hours so you can enter at any time and display your park pass as there is no gate attendant in the early hours. There are no strenuous elevation gains but slightly technical at times. There is one area near the beginning of the trail (going clockwise) where you are on top of a "fin". You will see a makeshift ladder to get you down from the fin but DON'T climb down it. Continue walking on top of the fin to the end to find an easy way down.

Beautiful hike. Did it at the beginning of June. We tried to start early, around 7:30, but took us a while to get our park pass at the main entrance. They need to figure out how to expedite that a little better. The trail is pretty exposed the whole way, so plenty of sunscreen and water are a must. I had 3 liters and it was enough. Plus a couple small gatorades. We went to dark angel at the end of the loop and came back the same way. Left side with Navajo arch. What an amazing place. Beautiful landscape.

Great and challenging trail! This is not a difficult hike, but there are definitely some “sketchy” parts if you’re afraid of heights (like me).

We went counterclockwise (so, started towards the right side) and it was the best decision we could have made. It’s much easier going up than down when you’re afraid of heights... we still got nervous in some parts, but only enough to make you feel proud when having gone through it!

Took us 4 hours and we stopped at all arches.

Wait! What? what is this advice of going counter clockwise? i did the loop this afternoon and it was hot as hell...no wonder they call it the devil's garden.
the arches were great. Despite it being hot and much more difficult there is peace in having a trail all to yourself. I only brought two bottles of water (and truth be told an ipa I drank on the way up). I had to conserve. The primitive portion was hotter than the rest due to less breezes. It was easy to overheat there walking in all that endless sand.

We did the extended primitive loop and took everyone here's advice to go clockwise. That was a great choice! The arches were nice, but nowhere near the experience of delicate arch. The views were nice, but not for the work it took to get there. I didn't think the heights were that bad and I'm not a fan of heights.

This hike was amazing, but be warned: if you have a fear of heights (at least when it comes to places you could be seriously hurt if you fell), this hike could cause you to face your fears! Although it was really mentally challenging for me and I had to sit down/slide and crawl through 2 sections, it was a joy to see so many arches up close.

Hiked this today. It’s one of my favorite hikes ever! It’s not easy but not too difficult. I loved climbing high up onto the rocks and the views take your breath away.
We followed the cairns to stay on trail. It would be easy to get lost if you don’t pay attention. We went clockwise and I’m glad that we did. The last couple of miles were sandy and got my heart going a little.
Don’t miss this hike and definitely make it to Dark Angel.

Great hike! I personally like wooded hikes better than desert hikes, but when in Utah, right!? Very hot (mid June) but we survived with the winds cooling us down, 3.5 liters of water each, and plenty of snacks! The arches are really beautiful and we especially loved the double o arches. Took us about 5.5 hours with breaks. Wear sunscreen!

Primitive part of the trail. Great. Let me tell you I’m in no way fit. Really. Not fit at all. Other reviews scared me, but the hardest part of the primitive trail is the last mile (maybe more or less) it’s all uphill & sandy to get out of the canyon and back to the regular trail. I’m a novice & the cairns were extremely easy to find. Definitely go clockwise, there was 1 or 2 steep slickrock drops that seem extremely hard going counter. Take your time, bring water, don’t let other reviews deter you. Oh and go early, I went 7:30-12:00 and the last bit was terrible in the heat.

A really easy trail with a few nice scrambles. Some false cairns may take you off the trail so just be sure you are keeping track of where you are going. Two liters of water is a must. This hike is a must do if you come to Arches. Beyond double o arch the amount of hikers decreases significantly.

Beautiful and relatively easy!! Great hike for anyone!!

Wonderful trail. Did this hike on 5/30.

Did this trail 5/31 or so. Great trail, pretty easy at first then a good interesting scramble up some cool fins. Once we reached the Double O arch the trail gets much less clearly marked and we ended up lost and in the desert. Granted we aren't the most expert hikers, but this is the only time that has ever happened to me. Still, great arches, beautiful views and had that not happened it would have been a lovely and mildly challenging hike once you hit the primitive trail.

Great trail

Several beautiful stops and detours for a nice meal break. The wilderness trail is great to avoid the crowds

Hiked 5/27/18 around 5pm, fewer crowds as we hiked further along the trail. Half paved and half scramble-ish. Numerous beautiful views along the way, would rate as moderate towards the back end. Great spot to watch a sunset.

Beautiful trail.

Excelent trail, went clockwise. Popular on first leg of the trail. beautiful scenery all-around. Bring footwear that does not let in sand easily, as the last couple miles are not unlike walking on a beach. Make sure you get to dark angel.

I was really on the fence about the safety of this trail after reading/researching many sources. Agree with AllTrails moderate rating. Hiked it clockwise starting around 7:30 am with the family. Total of 4. 1 super fit petite 13 year old girl. 1 pretty fit 16 year old girl and 2 moderately fit adults. We are outdoorsy but not isolation experience type people. Dry weather no recent rains.

For us there was 1 mildly scary relatively long stretch along a relatively narrow fin. I would estimate the thinnest part to be 4 feet across with a chance to take a nasty spill if you aren’t focused on the trail. The youngest got a little shaken up by some cracks in the rocks that were pretty deep. But we got through it with older folks going ahead and behind her.

The most frightening part for us was a VERY short segment scrambling along a pretty steep ledge about 20 feet above the ground. The 13 year old in hiking boots lost her footing and was about to slide down when dad saved her. This is in the primitive section after the last named arch going clockwise. She would hike it again though! It was a little crowded at the ledge at this point of the day with parties going in both directions. I think if we had waited a bit to let more people pass, observe how they navigated it and waited until we could really take our time it wouldn’t have been such a big deal.

If you hike it clockwise right after you pass landscape arch there is a rocky fin you climb up with cliff walls in either side. After you emerge at the top there is a fin to your left which provides an opportunity to test how nervous you might be hiking along a relatively narrow fin. If either of those experiences are completely nerve wracking, this is not your hike! Turn around and seek other adventures!

Otherwise, dress appropriately, wear actual hiking shoes/boots and prepare for a great day in the park!

amazing hike with so much to look at all around. not recommend for someone with a fear of hights!

Amazing hike. Make sure you get there when the park opens and head straight to the back of the park to start. We started at 8:10 AM and the weather was still cool. Trail started to get busy around 10 AM.

Best hike in the Park. We did it counter-clockwise which was a good call---also made it a harder hike.

Lots of arches on this one hike.

Do it.

This hike was super fun. A bit busy in the beginning of the trail but you can break away from crowds about a mile or so into it. Some of the arches are disappointing and others are great. As an avid hiker the trail was a little hard to follow once you get into the primitive trail towards the end of the loop. There is some rock scrambling as well. Just pay attention to the little stacked rocks to stay on trail - I think park rangers put them there for that reason. With exploring off the trail a bit I walked about 9-10 miles and it took me about 5 hours to do total and I would consider myself in shape and an intermediate hiker. All in all,the hike was great and worth it!

Excellent trail! Was a mix of sand trails and stone trails so lots of variety. We went clockwise so all of the good arches were on the front end. I’m not sure the best way to do it but was an excellent trail.

Lots of options to break off and explore different areas! lots of heights and gorgeous views. Bring tons of water

If you want a challenge but a great reward than I suggest this hike! We got an early start, 630am, and ended around 1pm. It was a long one but we definitely made it a lot longer by finding own own paths and exploring as much as we could! This is breathtaking! I honestly felt like I was on Mars! It is a great challenge, especially the second half. If you’re afraid of heights then this might not be for you. Bring LOTS of water and sunscreen especially if you’re hiking in the hotter months. Bring lunch and snacks and find an awesome rock to sit on and gaze over. You will definitely be happy you did this trail!

This hike is awesome! The fin that you have to walk on was a little scary with the high winds we were experiencing, but it was so fun. As said in previous reviews the hardest part is the end when you’re walking through the sand up slight inclines. We did this hike clockwise and that was definitely the way to go. This is a trail where you’ll be going up and down on rock formations, so be prepared to jump down. When you’re trying to find Double-O go to the left off of the rock path. There will probably be people trying to go down the right side, don’t follow. There’s a path to the left that will take you to Double-O and the Primitive Trail.

Great hike. Be ready to bounce around on some rocks!