Devil's Castle and Sugarloaf via Cecret Lake

Devil's Castle and Sugarloaf via Cecret Lake is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

I was glad to find out the steep part does not have a lot of loose rocks. I was super glad I had hiking sticks coming down so I could do the 4 pt system to help me coming down. On the ridgeline when you look to the South that is Pittsburg lake that is up American Fork Canyon east of Tibbme Fork. Great views...not for those afraid of hikes. I did a 360 degree hike for Google moas/Earth. you can check it out on my blog https://shaunasadventures.blogspot.com/2018/07/360-hiking-adventure-devils-castle-alta_21.html?m=1 OR going to Google Earth typing in Devil's castle, then click on the little dude, and then click on a blue section of the trail you want to see.

Great hike that really doesn’t go too far past Cecret Lake. Wasn’t as sketchy as I thought it was going to be either. Last half is very steep, but it goes by fast! DO IT!

Great hike, not too long although with a very challenging second half, in which a lot of elevation is gained in a short distance (very steep). The summit is primarily very loose large boulders and sharp drop offs, but utterly fantastic views of the Wasatch range and of Alta/Snowbird ski resorts. Summit as at approx 11.2K ft so weather is very variable and can be very windy. Come prepared.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Fantastic views! Steep but not too bad.