Desolation Trail to Salt Lake Overlook

Desolation Trail to Salt Lake Overlook is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Please note rules regarding pets: Dogs must be on leash on even days and can be off leash on odd days. It is important to bring proper bags to clean up after pets.

Love the hike. Fantastic view and kid friendly.

This is PERFECT for a quick hike or a run. The loop is about 2 miles, steeper to go up on the left side, and then coming back down the other side has nice smooth switch backs. I ran the loop twice and it’s nearly entirely in the shade. Not too trafficked either -It was actually very quiet and peaceful. There is a $3 fee for Millcreek canyon, but it’s worth it.

This was our 3rd hike since moving to Salt Lake City. I would highly recommend this trail if you are a moderate hiker. The topography was my favorite so far. The tall trees cover most of the hike and you constantly have beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. It isn’t too intense for anyone and the view of the city is amazing once your up there.
#topofthemountain

This was pretty good. Well maintained trail with only a few rocky sections. The view at the top was great, but difficult to enjoy due to bugs and lack of sitting places.

The actual mileage is 5.2, but its super relaxing; gets a little crowded so I would make sure to start by 0700. The scenic overlook is good, but not as good as Living Room (though the hike is better).

A lot of doggos. So many good boys.

Amazing quick hike with a terrific view. Would like to explore this area more.

Great out and back with fantastic views of SLC. Really green, even in late summer. If you’re a birder, great high elevation coniferous forest is likely great in the morning. With only ~1000ft elevation gain, going up isn’t difficult and switchbacks aren’t bad. About 65% of the trail is shaded which is great. We hiked this mid-day in August, sunny spots were hot, but plenty of shade. Every group we ran into that afternoon was all women, get it ladies!! Not in any rush, this took us about 2.5hrs. Do be aware that there is a $3/car area use fee on the way out

Went on a Sunday morning around 9:30 and there were a handful of groups so I felt like I had the place largely to myself. Several stretches suitable for running back. Right now it was pretty smoky :(

Plenty of shade, good views, it doesn’t cross any rivers or streams and that’s a good thing sometimes. I’ll be back to enjoy this short hike again sometime.

Great trail. Went up to Thayne peak. Pretty steep the last 300m. But what a view. Worth the extra effort.

Busy trail, very shaded. I wouldn’t recommend it for young children. Awesome view at the top.

7/22 - Pretty busy (but went on Founders Day). Hot but was about 50% shaded. A decent view for the effort exerted.

great time with kids. A little longer than at haff thought but pretty scenery .

Great hike with a mostly shaded trail. Tons of switch backs with gradual elevation gain. My Strava shows this as 4.8 miles RT. Pretty views along the way and a great view of the valley at the top.

Favorite hike on mid days. shady and fun. did see a rattlesnake about mid way.l

Lots of switchbacks!! But overall fun trail with the pup!

Beautiful and well maintained trail with many wildflowers. There is a small creek near parts of the trail but at very few points can you actually see it. There is some shade but plan carefully to go at a good time because there are steep points where there is no cover. The lake is pretty but small. There were TONS of flies so I’d suggest bringing bug spray which works specifically against all flies and worry less about mosquitoes. Also keep an eye out for moose.

This is a shaded hike so it's good for those hot mid-day hikes. The trail is wooded and the overlook was lovely. However, my Fitbit logged us at almost 6 mi up and back, not 4. Took about 3 hours, but I had to sit down a couple of times because I ran out of steam.

Hiked this trail last fall. Great trail to take in some colors. It is steeper than I expected, but the trails are smooth and easy to fallow.

Great hike on a well maintained trail. Did this hike to catch the sunset and it did not disappoint. Our dog loved it too. 2 hours round trip.

Always a favorite. Took my 8 month old and he did great. Plan on passing lots of hikers and trail runners. Kid friendly and dog friendly. Fee in Millcreek Canyon ($3) to get to trailhead.

Great hike this morning!!! The dogs and I had breakfast at the top. Got the hike in before work this morning. Great way to start our day. A little over 2 hours up and back but only because my Dalmatian decided to do a walk about and I had to track her down

This has become my new favorite. Stunning greenery. Great trail. Amazing and rewarding view from top.

Not difficult at all. My dog loved it. I loved it. Two hours up and back. Zero mosquitoes. Seriously. Incredible. Odds are I will be taking many dates on this hike from now on lol

Great hike! Beautiful view from the top!

nice hike, nice views. A little busy but not bad.

Relatively easy hike. We were being swarmed by flies for the whole way up, and half way back down, which is why I docked 2 stars. They made it miserable.

Great hike. It was a little crowded for a trail called "Desolation." J/K. I went in the evening, and lots of people where hiking/trail running with their dogs. The view from the top is awesome. I think it would be a good sunrise hike.

FYI, if you're not from the area (like me), there is a fee for driving up Millcreek Canyon Rd.

SO BEAUTIFUL. Good hike. Lots of shade.