Desolation Trail - Millcreek Portion

Desolation Trail - Millcreek Portion is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until September.

Well maintained trail climbs by switchback to a viewpoint overlooking Salt Lake City. This section continues up to the Porter Fork pass just below the Porter Fork Trail Junction. The entire trail then continues a total of 18 miles and crosses into Big Cottonwood Canyon along Raymond Ridge to Desolation Lake

Did this trail yesterday and loved it

One of the coolest trails I've been on.

One of my favorites hike, most of the trail is pretty shaded, there are two places where you walk through spots of beautiful wild flowers.
The lake is really pretty and due to the length, there usually isn't tons of people up there.

If you want a hike, I guarantee this is something you wanna walk if you want to see what work your legs. It's steep and a good workout. I been walking this trail on my deer hunt, and it's one of the challenging hike I been on. Great workout.

Great trail! I only went to the overlook point because the lake was 18 miles in and I wasn't prepped for that long of a hike. The trail is quite rocky and steep in some places, flat in others . It is very narrow and on the way down I ran most of it . Despite the fact that some people have absolutely no trail etiquette and refuse to move when they are coming up and I was going down ( which luckily didn't cause any collisions) , most people moved over politely and were friendly . I had a great time ! Will be going back, perhaps earlier and on a weekday . Happy Trails !!