Desolation Trail - Millcreek Portion

Desolation Trail - Millcreek Portion is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Well maintained trail climbs by switchback to a viewpoint overlooking Salt Lake City. This section continues up to the Porter Fork pass just below the Porter Fork Trail Junction. The entire trail then continues a total of 18 miles and crosses into Big Cottonwood Canyon along Raymond Ridge to Desolation Lake

Never ever do this hike in the winter

Not any signs to tell you where you are

Love this hike! I can take my dogs, the ground is soft, there are trees shading the entire way, and it's beautiful!

I however, got 10.7 miles recorded on my Garmin from the parking lot to the rock peak and back.

More than a moderate hike/run. Views are stunning!

This is a great hike during the hot months of summer. It offers plenty of shade and beautiful greenery with a gorgeous lookout point.

Did this trail yesterday and loved it

One of the coolest trails I've been on.

One of my favorites hike, most of the trail is pretty shaded, there are two places where you walk through spots of beautiful wild flowers.
The lake is really pretty and due to the length, there usually isn't tons of people up there.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

If you want a hike, I guarantee this is something you wanna walk if you want to see what work your legs. It's steep and a good workout. I been walking this trail on my deer hunt, and it's one of the challenging hike I been on. Great workout.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Great trail! I only went to the overlook point because the lake was 18 miles in and I wasn't prepped for that long of a hike. The trail is quite rocky and steep in some places, flat in others . It is very narrow and on the way down I ran most of it . Despite the fact that some people have absolutely no trail etiquette and refuse to move when they are coming up and I was going down ( which luckily didn't cause any collisions) , most people moved over politely and were friendly . I had a great time ! Will be going back, perhaps earlier and on a weekday . Happy Trails !!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Beautiful hike all the way up! I took my 6 year old, so we took a lot of breaks. But it was totally worth it!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Friday, July 08, 2016

Fun trail! Millcreek is always so cool and peaceful. Our five year old had fun, too!

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Nicely maintained trail, you do have to climb over some rocks a few times but it's not too bad. You are climbing upwards most of the time. This was my first hike in a long time and this was a bit hard since I'm not used to the high altitude yet. The others in my group live here and they were fine with the trail, not so out of breath like me. The view at the top is very beautiful. You can see Salt Lake City and the Salt Lake from a high view point. It was very green going up with lots of very large trees, and lots of different green ground covers. Lots of shade on this trail, with quite a few sections of strong sun. Bring lots of water!! I was in a group and some people ran out. Saw a large rattlesnake on the trail at the bottom, that was interesting!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Fun trail and a good hike for me and my 2 yr old. I did it with him in my hiking bag and he enjoyed it.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Awesome!

Friday, May 27, 2016

This trail is beautiful and green this time of year! We didn't see any streams but the trees, moss, bushes, and rocks were incredible! Especially with the light rain coming down half the hike! My dog loved running up and down this trail with me!!!!

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Awesome on a rainy day very beautiful and quiet trail. also good for beginner hiking dogs because there's not very many places they can go to get lost.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Went last week. Mud and snow cover most of the first mile. Then it's all snow after that. We weren't able to make it to the lake without snow shoes as the snow was a few feet deep and we kept sinking. Made it past the trailhead heading to dog lake and was only able to make it another half mile or so before turning around and heading up to Dog Lake. Which was still iced over a bit

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Loved this trail. Did not make it all the way to the lake but it was beautiful the whole time I was running. Very quiet.