Deseret Peak

Deseret Peak is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grantsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,595 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions: From Salt Lake City head west on I-80 and take the Stansbury-Tooele exit. Follow the signs to Grantsville. In Grantsville turn south on Cooley Street and head out of town. Turn west on the South Willow Canyon Road and follow it to the end. There is a trailhead sign at the beginning of the trail.

Great hike with beautiful views. We went in September, but I heard it's absolutely gorgeous in July when there's still a little snow at the top and there's runoff and everything is blooming. Alternatively a little later in the year when the leaves are changing. A heads up though. The description is wrong. It's not 7.5 miles up and back. GPS tracked it as a little over 11..

Such a beautiful trail. The entire way up is a pretty intense incline, but SO worth the beautiful view for miles at the end! September first the leaves are just barely beginning to change, wildflowers are still in full bloom, weather was perfect! Be sure to pack lots of water as it is will take at least five hours without breaks.

Beautiful hike. Went 8/31 and the weather and trail conditions were perfect! I loved it. It is pretty challenging and gets really steep toward the top. The views are worth the climb to the top though. My Google fit tracked it at 8.2 miles.

I love the view. Difficult hike, we went up to the saddle and the hiked along the ridgeline (opposite direction of the peak) for a little while). Vegetation is close to either side of the trail, so it will brush against your legs (not too bad though). also there are a lot of little side trails so it can be tough to know where to go.

It is a hard but beautiful hike. We did it in 6 1/2 hours. It is longer than 7.4 miles.

A surprisingly low number of hikers were out here. There is no snow left that can't be easily skirted. The salt flats are visible to NW near the peak.

Went 8/3/19 and like others said, only one very small section of snow that’s easy to walk around. Trail below is overgrown so 1) I wish I wore pants and 2) extremely glad I wore gortex shoes since it had just rained but it was trudging through the overgrowth that soaked my husband’s shoes (literally wringing our his socks). More advice, it was blue skies in SLC but when we arrived there was a rain cloud over Deseret, SO bring a jacket and decide there if you need it. I think in 2-3 weeks wildflowers will pop, not there yet.

Great trail! Definitely doing this one again

Tough but beautiful hike!! It was more like 9 miles round trip. There was a little bit of snow here and there. The bugs at the peak were brutal but were not so bad a few steps down - we sat in a "notch" just below the peak, ate some lunch, and headed back down. Total of approx. 6-7 hours. Bring LOTS of water!

Hiked on July 13/14 for an overnight and sunrise summit. The stream is flowing strong and is almost mandatory to walk through. Set up tents 2.5 miles in at the lower basin just before the switch backs to the ridge. Snow patches begin just after 2.5 miles and cover small sections of trail. One big snow patch covers the false summit in the last mile - be sure to pay attention where the trail is here / check your map! The final push to the summit is clear of snow.

June 12, still snow covering parts of the trail, making for little detours or just being careful to try not to slip.

june 9 snow in patches, covers parts of trail. didnt risk peaking without crampons, but managed to get some top notch hiking in. will take good route finding skill with the snow. OMG, the back country skiers make it to the peak and ski down the shoot. what skill and courage.

Hiked this in October 2018. Absolutely loved this hike! So much wildlife, so many different views. You do get some breaks from climbing which is always nice. However... we lost the trail and had to scramble for almost a mile up a somewhat treacherous hillside.. not even sure how it happened but it won’t happen again! Definitely bring a lot of water and good food because it’s a longer day!

We hit this trail toward the end of October and it was superb! There was a snowfield to negotiate when making it to the saddle. Other than that it wasn’t very difficult. On top the views of Tooele county and the Great Salt Lake were on point. It was a little chilly but that was to be expected. The dogs loved it. Ran into a few hunters, so beware of that it going up during hunting season. Looking forward to doing this again in the summer.

Hike was BEAUTIFUL! The views are incredible. Lots of snow starting about half a mile in. We came down when the sun was up and it made everything super mushy, so go early. Pretty steep hike with some false summits. But it’s worth it.

Friday, September 14, 2018

This is definitely one of the most rewarding hikes I've ever done. There's a lot to see and each mile looks different than the last. By the time we got to the last mile we were pretty exhausted but we took a nice long break up top enjoying the amazing view. Luckily it's a lot easier on the way back down. Next time I'll try the loop.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

HELP! Lost our little pup Oskar near the trailhead/loop campground on Saturday evening. He is a black and tan longhair dachshund. He is 4, and friendly but probably sacred. Last scene in the area. Reward for any info or return. Please call me 801-618-7858 Thank you!

Monday, September 10, 2018

A gorgeous canyon unlike no other I've hiked before! I had the trail mostly to myself, which I love, and after I summited, I took the north side down to do the loop. It adds about an extra mile, but the terrain is very different and well worth it. Do know that you'll be hiking up another steep trail when you do the loop, but it isn't that long. Once again, the smoke ruined the distant views, but it didn't ruin the hike as there were still many beautiful things to see all around.

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

There is no one area that is extremely steep, but the consistency of the grade will wear you down. Great views though and solitude is welcome. I’d 100% do it again.

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Deceptively beautiful! Highest peak in the Stansbury Range. Excellent views ! Went to the wrong summit and had to turn around and do the right one. Had to trail run in the moonlight! Great experience. :-)

Sunday, August 05, 2018

One of my favorite peaks! A great challenge and amazing views!

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Tough but rewarding at the top.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

the hike was beautiful and very rewarding once you get to the top. the last .5 mile is Soo steep. maybe cuz I was out of shape, but I felt like I had to stop every could yards due to the incline.

Monday, July 23, 2018

Absolutely beautiful!! One of my favorite hikes so far. Went on a slightly overcast day (7/22) and it was perfect! Once I hit the peak, I took a different trail down that these guys recommended. Somehow somewhere I missed the trail and ended up walking down an old road. Once I finally reached the end of another trail, I hiked back up the main road until I found some friendly people camping who drove me back to my car at the Deseret Peak trailhead. The views I saw were well worth getting lost for! Took me about 3 hours to get to the peak. As for getting down, that’s a different story. Go do this hike if you’re thinking about it!!

Friday, July 06, 2018

Great hike!!! Gets difficult towards the end, but well worth it.