Deseret Peak Wildeness Loop

Deseret Peak Wildeness Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grantsville, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Most of the area west of Salt Lake City is blasted by summer heat, a blank canvas for winter winds, and largely waterless (except for the enormous, shallow saline pond of Great Salt Lake, three times saltier than the ocean). No streams reach the sea from this area. The Stansbury Mountains are a 30-mile-long oasis of rugged beauty in this salt desert, especially in the spring. The mountains are named after U.S. Army Capt. Howard Stansbury, who led a surveying party around Great Salt Lake in 1849. Deseret Peak, 11,031 feet high, dominates the skyline for hundreds of miles. From its crest, the Skull Valley Indian Reservation and the militarys Dugway Proving Grounds are visible. The Stansbury Mountains, and Deseret Peak in particular, create their own weather systems and are sometimes shrouded with clouds while the Bonneville Salt Flats to the northwest (famous as a site for setting land speed records) bake under a clear sky. North Stansbury Mountains Wilderness Study Area is about 5 miles north of the designated Deseret Peak Wilderness; Cedar Mountains WSA is about 14 miles to the west.

Did this loop on 6/10/18 in the clockwise direction. A constant incline from the very start, but the views are fantastic and only saw a few other people on the trail. My GPS clocked us in at 8.9 miles compared to the 7.3miles noted above. It took us about 7 hours with a long lunch break at the summit.

We brought spikes but never put them on. We had to walk in a little snow a few times before the peak, but nothing deep or sketchy. We found the descent to be more difficult because the trail was composed of loose rock, fairly steep, and mixed with a few muddy spots on some of the steeper parts. The trail eventually evens out as you continue heading to the trailhead.

I'd highly recommend hiking poles. I brought mine and gave my friend one of the poles. We still were losing our footing quite a bit on the way down and took a couple minor spills.

On the descent, there was still a small snow patch (maybe 10-15 feet wide) that I think Lyman W was referring to. It was a bit sketchy because a slip would have had some consequences. There was another portion where we were able to take a route around the snow but it was steep and muddy. Nothing that would deter me from doing it again, but just need to be cautious.

Total time for loop: 5hr10min. Perfect 360° views and flawless and trail conditions are approaching the summit from the Southeast. After the first short section of trail to the river crossing, there are logs in the river that are stable and we crossed without issue. Turn left after the river crossing to complete the loop in a clockwise Direction.The trail gradually steepens until you gain the ridge at the bear fork trail intersection. The summit with snow free, but upon the descent we encountered large snowdrifts that completely blocked the trail. Traction is highly highly recommended for the descent. Follow post holes in the snowdrifts to continue in the general vicinity of the trail. And ice ax would be extremely helpful for a small snow Field Crossing above a cliff on the descent at approximately mile 4.75. After this traverse, you are out of the Harry portion and the rest of the loop is simply spectacular. Take caution and enjoy! No traction will be needed in the next three weeks, depending on snowmelt. CHEERS!

Just hiked this peak today and didn't need any of the gear Benjamin A. listed below. Just the standard boots, water, hat etc. There is some snow but it's pretty boot packed and the summit today was delightful though sadly, no views due to fog cover.

Did this one today. The views throughout are amazing -- Great Salt Lake, Nebo, Notch, Moriah(?), Great Basin National Park(?)... the list goes on and on. As far as current conditions go: I'm no mountaineer, but I was pretty glad to have brought my micro-spikes, ice axe, helmet and all sorts of layers. The wind chill at the top was crisp to say the least.

I want to do this next week. Has anyone done it the last week that can tell me what the snow levels are like? Will micro spikes do the trick?

This is a stunning peak. We (unknowingly) went during the first snowfall of the season, but it was just a light dusting that made everything more spectacular in late September. Good for fall colors. We went up the east side and down the west side. I felt the east side was easier but I don’t know if that’s actually true. It was definitely more popular.

Trail is easy to follow, and steady up all the way. A bit of scrambling on the gravel above the tree line. It was hazy when we went, but there are some good vistas along the way. Felt longer on the way down, and the brush was encroaching on the trail some. The trees and fauna are not what you'd expect to find near Tooele; felt more like a Wasatch canyon!

This is a great hike; took us about 6 hours to do the full loop - including a bit of time at the summit. The steepest part is up to the saddle, beware of some lose gravel along the way as well. Highly recommend this challenging hike, although it should be rated as Hard rather than Moderate.

This hike is beautiful! I am an avid hiker and would rate this hike as hard more than moderate (for some reason the peak route on All Trails is marked hard but the loop is moderate even though to do the loop you summit the peak?). There is some loose gravel near the saddle and further on the way up to the summit so shoes with a fair amount of tread are helpful, also hiking poles were a great treat on the way down but aren't an absolute necessity.

This is a beautiful hike and the views from the summit are incredible. It took me about 2 hrs 40 minutes to reach the summit and about 2 hrs to get down. Spent about 20 minutes at the peak for about a 5 hr total hike. I saw a few people on the way up and one on the way down, so it is not heavily trafficked. I saw a deer, lots of birds, and the number of butterflies near the top was amazing.

I hiked this mid July and most of the snow was gone. I had to traverse over one snow patch on the way up and one on the way down, but it wasn't too bad. I am a middle aged guy who hikes once every two or three weeks and it was a workout for me. Parts are steep and I had to push hard to keep going. I got blisters on the back of my heels and my toes were sore going down. This isn't common for me, so I think the steepness of the trail caused that.

The GPS said the total distance hiked was 9.9 miles, which is a couple miles longer than the trail description gives.

Overall great hike. I'll try to do this one again.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Good beautiful hike. It's an oasis in the desert.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Awesome hike with great views, after the peak the trail is a bit hard to follow. I would not have been able to do it without the app.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Beautiful hike still was a bit of snow in places but pushed through well worth it

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Good well designed Trail. The gate is closed for the season so it's an extra 2.1 miles each way if you Park at the medina trailhead just up the hill from the gate. Better parking and a restroom at medina. The Trail was mostly snow free. A few places in the trees and on north facing slopes had packed snow but no chains or snowshoes needed. Great view on top. Be sure to get an early start so you can see Deseret Peak flooded with the sun at sunrise.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

This is a very beautiful hike

Friday, September 23, 2016

This was a great hike, up up up and up for 4.5 miles and 3 and a half hours. We started at 0830 and made the summit at noon. It was a busy day with at least a dozen people heading up but we passed no-one heading down. Once on top we had lunch for a half hour, then continued on at 1230 along the trail to the north heading down and made the TH at 1510. My GPS indicated we had traveled a total of 9.3 miles. It was a great hike but a hard one. I recommend this hike, but it's not for everyone as It's very strenuous. The scenery is magnificent and worth the effort.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Bring food you'll be out all day. This trail according to my book is 8.5 miles which I think is right but just know it's a long loop but beautiful. Some sections are sketchy on the backside. Once you summit you'll still be on the ridge line for a long time like another 1.5 hours at least. We saw no one after the ridge and descended through pockets fork. Steep in many spots, bring poles!

Friday, September 09, 2016

This hike starts at the end of South Willow Canyon Rd. When I did this hike, I started up Deseret Peak Trail. When the trail split, I stayed to the right. When it split again, I stayed right. The third split I went left and ended up at South Willow Lake. Approximately 3.5 miles one way. I would say the difficulty is moderate. Camped at South Willow Lake. Very beautiful.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

This was a beautiful hike! Even though the canyon was busy, I didn't see another person. You have to be careful and follow signs because it's easy to mistake a game trail for the actual trail. I took my dog and it took us about 3 hours to hit the peak, and there was water for her in parts.

Monday, July 18, 2016

I did this trip solo with a 35 lbs pack last weekend (July 15th-16th, 2016). It's a beautiful area with plenty of solitude to be found. I camped right below the cirque on the Deseret Peak side of the trail, took me about 2.5 hours to reach that area from the trailhead, and that was at an intermediate pace due to the gear I was carrying. The next morning I approached the peak, reaching the top after maybe 1 more hour of climbing.

At the top, you'll have a 360 degree unobstructed view of the surrounding area, reaching from the desert to the west all the way to the Wasatch Range in the distance. Stansbury Island and Antelope Island sit far below. Make sure you look for the summit log and write your name down.

After a brief pause at the summit I returned to the trailhead via Pockets Fork. Beware of vegetation close to the trail in this area - I walked through it wearing shorts and short sleeves and have a crazy rash I'm trying to get rid of now. All things considered, though, this was still worth it. Great hike, would do again.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

One of my favorite hikes in the area. Hard, but not a killer. Doing a loop hike on a peak is a real bonus. Start early!

Monday, July 11, 2016

This was a great hike hard but the views are spectacular and worth the challenge. Bring plenty of water.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

I loved this hike.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Deseret Peak is 11,031. This is not an easy hike but the amazing views are worth the work!

recorded Deseret