Deseret Peak is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grantsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions: From Salt Lake City head west on I-80 and take the Stansbury-Tooele exit. Follow the signs to Grantsville. In Grantsville turn south on Cooley Street and head out of town. Turn west on the South Willow Canyon Road and follow it to the end. There is a trailhead sign at the beginning of the trail.

Amazing views from the Top, you can return via the trail to the north and turn this hike into a loop

Hike was BEAUTIFUL! The views are incredible. Lots of snow starting about half a mile in. We came down when the sun was up and it made everything super mushy, so go early. Pretty steep hike with some false summits. But it’s worth it.

This is definitely one of the most rewarding hikes I've ever done. There's a lot to see and each mile looks different than the last. By the time we got to the last mile we were pretty exhausted but we took a nice long break up top enjoying the amazing view. Luckily it's a lot easier on the way back down. Next time I'll try the loop.

HELP! Lost our little pup Oskar near the trailhead/loop campground on Saturday evening. He is a black and tan longhair dachshund. He is 4, and friendly but probably sacred. Last scene in the area. Reward for any info or return. Please call me 801-618-7858

Thank you!

A gorgeous canyon unlike no other I've hiked before! I had the trail mostly to myself, which I love, and after I summited, I took the north side down to do the loop. It adds about an extra mile, but the terrain is very different and well worth it. Do know that you'll be hiking up another steep trail when you do the loop, but it isn't that long. Once again, the smoke ruined the distant views, but it didn't ruin the hike as there were still many beautiful things to see all around.

There is no one area that is extremely steep, but the consistency of the grade will wear you down. Great views though and solitude is welcome. I’d 100% do it again.

Deceptively beautiful! Highest peak in the Stansbury Range. Excellent views ! Went to the wrong summit and had to turn around and do the right one. Had to trail run in the moonlight! Great experience. :-)

One of my favorite peaks! A great challenge and amazing views!

Tough but rewarding at the top.

the hike was beautiful and very rewarding once you get to the top. the last .5 mile is Soo steep. maybe cuz I was out of shape, but I felt like I had to stop every could yards due to the incline.

Absolutely beautiful!! One of my favorite hikes so far. Went on a slightly overcast day (7/22) and it was perfect! Once I hit the peak, I took a different trail down that these guys recommended. Somehow somewhere I missed the trail and ended up walking down an old road. Once I finally reached the end of another trail, I hiked back up the main road until I found some friendly people camping who drove me back to my car at the Deseret Peak trailhead. The views I saw were well worth getting lost for! Took me about 3 hours to get to the peak. As for getting down, that’s a different story. Go do this hike if you’re thinking about it!!

Great hike!!! Gets difficult towards the end, but well worth it.

Haven't hiked this but I have to address the prior review. I'm almost certain that picking wildflowers in a wilderness area is illegal, and probably should not be done ANYWHERE.

I took my four children with me up this trail. We only made it about two miles because the kids wimped out. But I LOVED the forest at the beginning. Lots of tree cover where we were and my daughter had a HUGE bouquet of wildflowers. My two year old actually made it the first mile before wanting to climb into the backpack. Once I had the toddler on my back I felt the steepness of the trail a lot more! I can’t wait to come back without the kids and finish the trail!

Really a good workout. Windy and cold at the top, hot at the base. A little bit of snow still at the top. Saw a huge rattlesnake coiled up right off the trail, I’d make sure to keep dogs on leashes. The views all throughout the hike were beautiful.

Monday, November 27, 2017

A hike away from all the people. I highly recommend the loop.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Beautiful and dramatic. Strenuous

Sunday, September 17, 2017

BEAUTIFUL! Remember to keep in mind you will be going up 3600 feet in just under 4 miles and be prepared for that--also, the elevation might get to you--make sure to keep breathing as much as possible without hyperventilating (that helps me). Overall stunning hike complete with forest at the beginning, meadows in the middle, and mountain-top views in the end!

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

9.2.2017 | 30lb backpack | Recommend: Sunscreen, Long Pants, Trekking Poles

This is a tough, exposed hike (definitely made harder by my heavy pack). You cross a river at the beginning but the majority of the hike is dry so plan ahead! My GSD and I drank all 6L packed.

After you cross the river the trail will fork. Left leads to Desert Peak, right leads to South Willow Lake.

The trail varies from forested to meadow to exposed rocky desert which kept it interesting and I suggest long pants for the overgrowth. Unfortunately, the air was smoggy/smokey so the views overlooking Salt Lake Valley on the way up and even the 360 views from the summit weren't as grand as they could've been. We passed a few people and a family with 4 young girls who all made it to the peak which I found very impressive considering the steepness and midday heat.

Once you reach the ridge, there are a few trails you can follow which entices me to come back and explore. I was bummed that we couldn't figure out where the loop was so we went down the same way. Trekking poles on the way down were really nice as some spots are steep and slippery but you'd survive without them.

All in all, this is a beautiful desert hike that I look forward to doing again in clear air!

Monday, July 24, 2017

Great hike- definitely wear long pants because it's overgrown for a majority of it.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Just did this hike yesterday and all I can tell you is that this is by far the best hike I've ever don so gorgeous recommend that you bring a lot of water hike ain't easy and right now ain't that much snow we hiked up 8 in the morning reached the top at 10:20 am

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

beautiful hike

Monday, June 26, 2017

Love this so much! hiked about 3-4 miles up then set up camp and the next day we summit ed to the peak

Monday, June 26, 2017

The south side is definitely the easier way up, and I'd take the north way out. Still too much snow to make it out North now, as I was up at Willow lake two days ago (06/24/17), I'd wait a few weeks.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

This is an awesome hike. There is still too much snow to complete the full loop, but one can get to the peak just fine. If you go now, bring a garbage bag for sliding down on the snow sections. It is do beautiful along the whole hike.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Love this trail!

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Made it 2.5 miles up. Trail muddy and wet due to last storm and still lots of snow the farther up I went. A few more weeks and it should be melted. Beautiful hike!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Way too much snow at the moment. Gate to the campgrounds are still closed. Need to hike an additional 4 miles just to get to the trailhead. But tons of snow with no visible trail

Sunday, October 16, 2016

I love this hike!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Beautiful vistas, lush forest and alpine meadows all along this trail. It is close to 9 miles up and back. It is a fairly steep trail with almost no flat areas. You hike up a canyon to the face at the end of the canyon. Switch back up to the saddle and then the trails moves to the back of Deseret Peak for the ascent. There is no water available along the trail. It was a nice, cool day and I used my entire 2 L of water. While this is a steep hike we encountered a 63yo woman and 77yo man that successfully completed the trail. This is definitely a peak worth conquering.