Deseret Peak

Deseret Peak is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grantsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions: From Salt Lake City head west on I-80 and take the Stansbury-Tooele exit. Follow the signs to Grantsville. In Grantsville turn south on Cooley Street and head out of town. Turn west on the South Willow Canyon Road and follow it to the end. There is a trailhead sign at the beginning of the trail.

Great hike!!! Gets difficult towards the end, but well worth it.

Haven't hiked this but I have to address the prior review. I'm almost certain that picking wildflowers in a wilderness area is illegal, and probably should not be done ANYWHERE.

I took my four children with me up this trail. We only made it about two miles because the kids wimped out. But I LOVED the forest at the beginning. Lots of tree cover where we were and my daughter had a HUGE bouquet of wildflowers. My two year old actually made it the first mile before wanting to climb into the backpack. Once I had the toddler on my back I felt the steepness of the trail a lot more! I can’t wait to come back without the kids and finish the trail!

Really a good workout. Windy and cold at the top, hot at the base. A little bit of snow still at the top. Saw a huge rattlesnake coiled up right off the trail, I’d make sure to keep dogs on leashes. The views all throughout the hike were beautiful.

A hike away from all the people. I highly recommend the loop.

Beautiful and dramatic. Strenuous

BEAUTIFUL! Remember to keep in mind you will be going up 3600 feet in just under 4 miles and be prepared for that--also, the elevation might get to you--make sure to keep breathing as much as possible without hyperventilating (that helps me). Overall stunning hike complete with forest at the beginning, meadows in the middle, and mountain-top views in the end!

9.2.2017 | 30lb backpack | Recommend: Sunscreen, Long Pants, Trekking Poles

This is a tough, exposed hike (definitely made harder by my heavy pack). You cross a river at the beginning but the majority of the hike is dry so plan ahead! My GSD and I drank all 6L packed.

After you cross the river the trail will fork. Left leads to Desert Peak, right leads to South Willow Lake.

The trail varies from forested to meadow to exposed rocky desert which kept it interesting and I suggest long pants for the overgrowth. Unfortunately, the air was smoggy/smokey so the views overlooking Salt Lake Valley on the way up and even the 360 views from the summit weren't as grand as they could've been. We passed a few people and a family with 4 young girls who all made it to the peak which I found very impressive considering the steepness and midday heat.

Once you reach the ridge, there are a few trails you can follow which entices me to come back and explore. I was bummed that we couldn't figure out where the loop was so we went down the same way. Trekking poles on the way down were really nice as some spots are steep and slippery but you'd survive without them.

All in all, this is a beautiful desert hike that I look forward to doing again in clear air!

Great hike- definitely wear long pants because it's overgrown for a majority of it.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Just did this hike yesterday and all I can tell you is that this is by far the best hike I've ever don so gorgeous recommend that you bring a lot of water hike ain't easy and right now ain't that much snow we hiked up 8 in the morning reached the top at 10:20 am

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

beautiful hike

Monday, June 26, 2017

Love this so much! hiked about 3-4 miles up then set up camp and the next day we summit ed to the peak

Monday, June 26, 2017

The south side is definitely the easier way up, and I'd take the north way out. Still too much snow to make it out North now, as I was up at Willow lake two days ago (06/24/17), I'd wait a few weeks.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

This is an awesome hike. There is still too much snow to complete the full loop, but one can get to the peak just fine. If you go now, bring a garbage bag for sliding down on the snow sections. It is do beautiful along the whole hike.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Love this trail!

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Made it 2.5 miles up. Trail muddy and wet due to last storm and still lots of snow the farther up I went. A few more weeks and it should be melted. Beautiful hike!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Way too much snow at the moment. Gate to the campgrounds are still closed. Need to hike an additional 4 miles just to get to the trailhead. But tons of snow with no visible trail

Sunday, October 16, 2016

I love this hike!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Beautiful vistas, lush forest and alpine meadows all along this trail. It is close to 9 miles up and back. It is a fairly steep trail with almost no flat areas. You hike up a canyon to the face at the end of the canyon. Switch back up to the saddle and then the trails moves to the back of Deseret Peak for the ascent. There is no water available along the trail. It was a nice, cool day and I used my entire 2 L of water. While this is a steep hike we encountered a 63yo woman and 77yo man that successfully completed the trail. This is definitely a peak worth conquering.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hard but worth it

Thursday, July 21, 2016

3.5 stars. Long drive away from any civilization (no service) and it was a hot day. My 9 yo bonked at 9000 ft elevation so we had to turn around. What I loved was the peace and quiet. Saw a deer. Beautiful flowered meadows. View of the Great Salt Lake was cool halfway up. The trail was so overgrown in some sections that it wasn't uncommon for us to have to raise our hands above our head so we wouldn't touch any poisonous plants. Bugs were more than usual but not killer. Stopped at the gristmill and Saltair on the way back so I could keep my hiking buddy happy for our next hike.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Do yourself a favor and don't do this hike. The trail is about 2 feet wide with nothing but loose gravel and rock. We fell several times on the trail. It was about 9 miles full loop. It took us 7 hours to complete. It was extremely difficult, we hike very often. This experience was just miserable.

Monday, July 04, 2016

This was my first difficult hike. The wild flowers were beautiful. I saw several deer. The view from the top was amazing!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

This can be done as a loop if you take the trail split to the right. The views are nice of the Goshen and Tooele Valleys. HAMs can reach the 146.62 & .76 repeaters on 2m VHF.
Please be aware this is an active hunting area and check when the various big game seasons begin/end

Sunday, March 27, 2016

I love the Peak! I grew up here and these mountains have plants and brush similar to the Uintahs. Just don't try to sleep in the "hot tub" near the Peak or you will likely have field mice going through your things and nibbling at your sleeping bag... But hey it was an awesome time ;)

Monday, January 25, 2016

Write up on a previously accomplished hike.

After years of driving up and down Skull Valley and having Deseret Peak loom over me I was finally presented with an opportunity to conquer my imaginary adversary.

As I am not a Utah resident and only travel to the beehive state sporadically for work I have to make the most of my limited time here so I was thrilled when an opportunity to travel to DPG for a week. Normally most people are less than thrilled for a trip to the West Desert but I had the Peak on my mind.

The hike itself was a rather long walk as I did the loop. The hardest part for me was coming from sea level and not having time to acclimate to the elevation.

The solitude (I did not encounter another hiker on the trail all day) along with the West Desert setting are two things I really enjoyed.

While many overlook Tooele County in favor of SLCs more well-known attractions this hike is one that should not be missed.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Great trail. The lower gate was closed which added significant approach time. Also 4-6" of snow made it a bummer at lower elevations as it had iced up under the crust...slippery. Also significant temperature variation from shaded canyon to exposed trail. Bring water and layers this time of year. Scenery makes it all worth it though.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

We started at the Mill Fork trailhead located at Loop Campground. It was a great hike - steady uphill climb the whole way. The last bit before you get to the "saddle" was pretty steep and all loose rocks - definitely the most difficult part for us. The views from the top were incredible. Today was super windy so it was about 50 degrees at the peak @ 3pm with 20 mph winds - bring a jacket! Also, bring lots of water! Total mileage was 7.4 (out & back - we decided not to do the loop), elevation climb was 3,618 and total time including lunch at the peak was 6 hours.

Friday, August 21, 2015

The loop is 14 miles long. The downhill is difficult because of the loose gravel and steep sections. NOT for novices. Very challenging. Bring two liters of water per person. We used all of it.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Good hike really pretty. Ended up 8.4 miles to do the loop. I'd do it again at a slower pace.