Deseret Peak

Deseret Peak is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grantsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions: From Salt Lake City head west on I-80 and take the Stansbury-Tooele exit. Follow the signs to Grantsville. In Grantsville turn south on Cooley Street and head out of town. Turn west on the South Willow Canyon Road and follow it to the end. There is a trailhead sign at the beginning of the trail.

This is an awesome hike. There is still too much snow to complete the full loop, but one can get to the peak just fine. If you go now, bring a garbage bag for sliding down on the snow sections. It is do beautiful along the whole hike.

Love this trail!

Made it 2.5 miles up. Trail muddy and wet due to last storm and still lots of snow the farther up I went. A few more weeks and it should be melted. Beautiful hike!

Way too much snow at the moment. Gate to the campgrounds are still closed. Need to hike an additional 4 miles just to get to the trailhead. But tons of snow with no visible trail

I love this hike!

Beautiful vistas, lush forest and alpine meadows all along this trail. It is close to 9 miles up and back. It is a fairly steep trail with almost no flat areas. You hike up a canyon to the face at the end of the canyon. Switch back up to the saddle and then the trails moves to the back of Deseret Peak for the ascent. There is no water available along the trail. It was a nice, cool day and I used my entire 2 L of water. While this is a steep hike we encountered a 63yo woman and 77yo man that successfully completed the trail. This is definitely a peak worth conquering.

Hard but worth it

3.5 stars. Long drive away from any civilization (no service) and it was a hot day. My 9 yo bonked at 9000 ft elevation so we had to turn around. What I loved was the peace and quiet. Saw a deer. Beautiful flowered meadows. View of the Great Salt Lake was cool halfway up. The trail was so overgrown in some sections that it wasn't uncommon for us to have to raise our hands above our head so we wouldn't touch any poisonous plants. Bugs were more than usual but not killer. Stopped at the gristmill and Saltair on the way back so I could keep my hiking buddy happy for our next hike.

Do yourself a favor and don't do this hike. The trail is about 2 feet wide with nothing but loose gravel and rock. We fell several times on the trail. It was about 9 miles full loop. It took us 7 hours to complete. It was extremely difficult, we hike very often. This experience was just miserable.

This was my first difficult hike. The wild flowers were beautiful. I saw several deer. The view from the top was amazing!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

This can be done as a loop if you take the trail split to the right. The views are nice of the Goshen and Tooele Valleys. HAMs can reach the 146.62 & .76 repeaters on 2m VHF.
Please be aware this is an active hunting area and check when the various big game seasons begin/end

Saturday, April 09, 2016