Deseret Peak

Deseret Peak is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grantsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions: From Salt Lake City head west on I-80 and take the Stansbury-Tooele exit. Follow the signs to Grantsville. In Grantsville turn south on Cooley Street and head out of town. Turn west on the South Willow Canyon Road and follow it to the end. There is a trailhead sign at the beginning of the trail.

BEAUTIFUL! Remember to keep in mind you will be going up 3600 feet in just under 4 miles and be prepared for that--also, the elevation might get to you--make sure to keep breathing as much as possible without hyperventilating (that helps me). Overall stunning hike complete with forest at the beginning, meadows in the middle, and mountain-top views in the end!

9.2.2017 | 30lb backpack | Recommend: Sunscreen, Long Pants, Trekking Poles

This is a tough, exposed hike (definitely made harder by my heavy pack). You cross a river at the beginning but the majority of the hike is dry so plan ahead! My GSD and I drank all 6L packed.

After you cross the river the trail will fork. Left leads to Desert Peak, right leads to South Willow Lake.

The trail varies from forested to meadow to exposed rocky desert which kept it interesting and I suggest long pants for the overgrowth. Unfortunately, the air was smoggy/smokey so the views overlooking Salt Lake Valley on the way up and even the 360 views from the summit weren't as grand as they could've been. We passed a few people and a family with 4 young girls who all made it to the peak which I found very impressive considering the steepness and midday heat.

Once you reach the ridge, there are a few trails you can follow which entices me to come back and explore. I was bummed that we couldn't figure out where the loop was so we went down the same way. Trekking poles on the way down were really nice as some spots are steep and slippery but you'd survive without them.

All in all, this is a beautiful desert hike that I look forward to doing again in clear air!

Great hike- definitely wear long pants because it's overgrown for a majority of it.

Just did this hike yesterday and all I can tell you is that this is by far the best hike I've ever don so gorgeous recommend that you bring a lot of water hike ain't easy and right now ain't that much snow we hiked up 8 in the morning reached the top at 10:20 am

beautiful hike

Love this so much! hiked about 3-4 miles up then set up camp and the next day we summit ed to the peak

The south side is definitely the easier way up, and I'd take the north way out. Still too much snow to make it out North now, as I was up at Willow lake two days ago (06/24/17), I'd wait a few weeks.