Delicate Arch Trail

Delicate Arch Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 613 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

partially paved

Delicate Arch Trail is a short hike in Arches National Park to Utah's most recognizable natural arch. You will likely recognize the famous arch from the Utah license plates. The hike starts at the Delicate Arch Trailhead off at the Wolf Ranch turn-off in the Moab area of southern Utah . There is a large parking area right off of the main park road. From the parking area you will cross the bridge over salt wash. The hike to Delicate Arch is just over 1.5 miles each way, approximately a 3 mile hike round-trip. It is best hiked in spring and fall when the temperatures are cooler, or during the golden hours just after sunrise or and before sunset when the rocks seem to turn a magical color and the air temperature is bearable again. Take at least 1 quart (1 liter) of water per person! There is no shade. Open slickrock with some exposure to heights. The first half-mile is a wide, well-defined trail. Upon reaching the slickrock, follow the rock cairns. The trail climbs gradually and levels out toward the top of this rock face. Just before you get to Delicate Arch, the trail goes along a rock ledge for about 200 yards. A visit to this beautiful arch is a must do in Arches National Park. Parking is limited and can fill up quickly during peak tourism months so make sure to arrive at the trailhead early.

Absolutely worth the (relatively) short trek! Make sure to properly prepare for sun exposure in high desert temps and bring lots of water. The trail is easy to follow and it can be quite windy at the top of the trail where the Arch is located! Be safe and enjoy one of Utah’s most notable natural icons.

On a (very) hot summer day the climb is strenuous. Near the arch a narrow ledge may spook people with vertigo or small children. Go calmly, drink water and you will reach the rewarding destination

Absolutely breathtaking. We did a sunrise hike and were so glad we did. Temperature was perfect and there were only about 10 other people at the arch. We even saw a desert fox on the hike up. Not marked very clearly in the middle areas but still easy to find your way!

Great hike. Aside from the heat it’s not bad at all and is well worth the effort. So beautiful at the top!

Beautiful trail, no wonder it is so popular! I went around midday on a Wednesday in mid August (so still peak tourist season and also 104 degrees). No issue finding parking and I was able to enjoy moments of silence on the trail. Crossing Sliprock was the hardest part; it is steep and hot with meager shade under scrubby plants. I consider myself a good, in shape hiker but I stopped a few times to catch my breath. No need to get heat stroke!! The arch was incredible. Be patient for your pictures, and if you wait long enough you’ll get a great shot with no people in it. If you need a cooler time, morning and late afternoon would be wise. Worth it!!

Incredible! I can’t believe I had bypassed this hike a few times before. Worth all the hype it gets. Steep in places, yes, but take your time and take advantage of any shade along the way. And bring lots of water! Definitely recommend going before noon and on a week day. Less crowed and you avoid the afternoon heat. Turning the corner to see Delicate Arch, I couldn’t help but gasp! Absolutely worth it!!

The hike is quite difficult because is steep and there are no shadow but it worth the effort

STUNNING! I do this hike every single time we road trip down south. Worth the heat, just bring some water. It is not that strenuous if you take it at your time and just take in the view.

As an adventurer person this a must stop NP! The hike to delicate arch was stunning with the mountains in the back of it! Defiantly go really early in the summer to beat the heat and the crowd! The hike itself wasn’t to bad but my friend struggled a lot!

With 3 kids (ages 8, 9 and 11), we arrived around 9:30am to start the hike. It was hot, sunny and felt longer than 1.5 miles to the Delicate Arch, but very doable for all! We took some time to admire the view and take photos. The round trip took us about 2 hours. Great first hike in Moab!

Hike quite difficult because the going is only on the climb with a high altitude! But it's worth the candle and a nice reward! Many people, take patience for a photo without anyone on it!

We went early in the morning so it wasn’t very crowded, would definitely recommend!

This is a very strenuous hike. Even though it’s only 5km out and back there is a very long and semi-steep incline which takes up majority of the hike. Bring at least 1-2L of water and some snacks. It gets very hot very fast in this park so I recommend going early in the morning before the sun comes out fully at noon. Also, be prepared to wait and take photos of the arch or selfies as it is a more popular hike and many want pictures with it. There may be a line of 5-10minutes but it’s worth it so just have fun. You can also explore other areas after seeing the arch. There isn’t much shade for this hike either, especially doing the incline and don’t expect to have cell service in the park either.

Good hike, even for the family! The view at the end with the arch caught us by surprise and was simply breathtaking. Relaxed there for a good amount of time before heading back down.

8.6.19- My daughters (23/17) completed this trail today. Great views, reasonable traffic. I am 60 , and found this trail to be reasonable rated., and did not require much effort. While not lengthy your are in the sun the whole time. Plenty of water with routine hydration is recommended.

Awesome hike. A little strenuous but worth the effort

It was well worth the hike to get to the arch. The evening temperature was great after a very hot day. I would not want to do this trail at 95-100+ degrees, but the evening was very nice for our family. Early morning may be ideal but seeing the arch near sunset was also beautiful. It is crowded in the evening, but while that does hinder everyone from being able to get inside for photos, it was not so crowded as to keep it from being enjoyable. Young children should definitely be taken by the hand or carried for the last part of the hike and when near the arch.

Absolutely superb! We did this trail after midday and by the time we got to the arch, there were just a handful of people there. Amazingly quiet and guess that’s because the park advises not to hike at midday in the extreme heat. We had lots of water with us and a hat and we were fine. Seriously thou, bring LOTS of water! The trail is a bit strenuous in the beginning as you start to climb up the slick rocks. A lot easier down.

Awesome hike, but get there early. The park is open 24 hours so we hiked it around 6:30 a.m. By 9-9:30, it is packed. Wear athletic or hiking shoes!

We loved this trail. It wasn’t as hot as I would have thought and we started about 9 AM. Lot was almost full by then (probably 10 spots left). Beautiful hike from beginning to end. My 3 year old hiked the entire thing himself outside of the very end where it’s just too big of a drop off for my liking. All in all, great family hike and pretty easy, even carrying a 10 month old. I would not say moderate.

Sunrise was spectacular. Great trail, easy to follow. Definitely a must.

This hike is a must-do for any reasonably fit person visiting Arches. We ended up doing this as a sunset hike on a cloudy day. I do not recommend trying this in the heat of the day unless you are very active. The main reason I'm writing this is that we saw a lot of people hiking up while we were descending. Do not hike this into night hours unless 1) you have a headlamp 2) you are wearing appropriate shoes (flipflops don't count) and 3) its not threatening rain. Honestly, we saw people taking young children up in the dark right before it rained. I can't imagine trying to descend the slip rock in the dark while its wet. This is a moderate hike in the right conditions but would easily be very hard under the wrong ones.

Great trail, we went up for sunset and had an amazing view of the Milky Way soon after! Be sure to bring lots of flashlights, we didn’t have enough with us which made for a more difficult descent!

We loved it! Took us about 1,5 hour both ways plus a long break for photos at the summit. Great trail although super hot in summer since there’s no shade!

the view is incredible. very minimal shade, try and go earlier in the morning for cooler weather & less crowds