EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Delicate Arch Trail

MODERATE 1,206 reviews

Delicate Arch Trail is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Delicate Arch Trail is a short hike in Arches National Park to Utah's most recognizable natural arch. You will likely recognize the famous arch from the Utah license plates. The hike starts at the Delicate Arch Trailhead off at the Wolf Ranch turn-off in the Moab area of southern Utah . There is a large parking area right off of the main park road. From the parking area you will cross the bridge over salt wash. The hike to Delicate Arch is just over 1.5 miles each way, approximately a 3 mile hike round-trip. It is best hiked in spring and fall when the temperatures are cooler, or during the golden hours just after sunrise or and before sunset when the rocks seem to turn a magical color and the air temperature is bearable again. Take at least 1 quart (1 liter) of water per person! There is no shade. Open slickrock with some exposure to heights. The first half-mile is a wide, well-defined trail. Upon reaching the slickrock, follow the rock cairns. The trail climbs gradually and levels out toward the top of this rock face. Just before you get to Delicate Arch, the trail goes along a rock ledge for about 200 yards. A visit to this beautiful arch is a must do in Arches National Park. Parking is limited and can fill up quickly during peak tourism months so make sure to arrive at the trailhead early.

Nothing not to like, except maybe the crowds. A must-do at Arches,

One of the most unique hikes I’ve been on. Can be tough with the heat. Go very early or late afternoon. Bring plenty of water

Planned to hike this in before sunset to catch sunset at the arch and then hike out under the moon. Unfortunately got a late start and hiked up around twilight. Wound up getting lost during one of the more open slick rock areas. Had enough of a signal to pick up GPS and map my way back to the trail. Stupid moon didn't rise until 1:13 am after we made it back to camp lol! Was still a ton of fun. I'd repeat it in the daytime anyday.

Amazing. Did it with kids 10 & 13 on a VERY hot day. It’s difficult in my opinion, but I think that had a lot to do with the heat.

A fun hike to this iconic Utah arch. Try to make it during cooler parts of the day. Shade to escape from the heat is slim.

Sweet hike. We arrived in parking lot at 730 am. lots of people. wouldn't recommend going much later than that!

It was a great hike, especially the way up to the Partition and Navajo Arches. not too hard except for one steep climb

Spectacular! Description is accurate, harder hike getting to the arch and the return is pretty easy. We were even treated to a flute player under the arch!

Amazing at sunset. Took 35 mins up (we maintained a pretty constant pace). Could be tricky to see trail when walking up the sandstone but you can easily follow the crowds. It’s popular for a reason - don’t be deterred by the number of people!

Gorgeous !! Be sure to stop at Frame arch before delicate arch

We hiked this with my family yesterday. It’s a beautiful hike. It’s not difficult if you’re fit. My parents were slower but it wasn’t terribly difficult. The view was beautiful and well worth the small, short climb.

Definitely a height issue haha
Loved the end game, well worth the hike

Great hike to do first thing in the morning to watch the sunrise. It gets very crowded as the day goes on, with some points of decent exposure.

We got there around 5:15 and arrived to Delicate Arch just as the sun was rising at 6. We were booking it up there because we didn't want to miss it. There were almost no people up there for about an hour and that's when we left as tons were coming up. They all had it way harder than we did. The sun was beating down and there is no shade. It's an excellent summer hike. Make sure to take lots of water. A ranger told us people die from dehydration every year on this hike. We saw lots of older people and people with kids on the bike just make sure you have lots of time and water if you're planning on going slow during hot times. Once at the arch it was a beautiful view all around and the arch was even better than the pics!

Awesome

Amazing views!

Beautiful hike! Started it at 8:00am on Thursday morning. About 50 other people were already on the trail before I started. There was a line for standing beneath the gorgeous delicate arch in order to take a photo. Highly recommended.

Great hike for the entire family. It's not super difficult, but be aware the hike up is pretty intense in spots for someone that doesn't hike a lot. I think everyone can make it, but it is steep in places. Beautiful at the top, and lots of other places to hike around on the rocks once you get up there.

Unreal. Here’s a tip: It’s highly rated for a reason.

This hike is wonderful from start to finish! There is so much to look at and take in. Taking a lot of water is not a suggestion; it is a must!

My family hiked this twice in two days, once in the morning and once in the evening. Evening was by far the best (worthy of 6-stars, if possible) but the morning hike is 5-stars!

Great hike especially at sunset. Always take plenty of water.

A must-see.

beautiful hike with plenty of high ground views. Very busy at sunset

Definitely worth seeing! Very hot during the summer and no shade so bring plenty of water and sunscreen!

Hiked on 5/27/18. Can be difficult when hot but short distance with great view so definitely worth seeing. Very crowded when we went, recommend to go later in the day.

Awesome

I completed this hike over memorial day weekend. It was amazing! You might have to be mindful that there are many people on the trail but connecting with others is about the experience as well. I’d recommend going in the morning or late in the evening, there isn’t much shade so it gets hot, bring sunscreen. Bring water and maybe even a bandana to wet while on the trail. I’m not in the best shape and this was totally doable. Can’t wait to come back!

This hike wasn't too bad, I carried my two year old up with no problem. The hike was not shaded so I'd go early in the morning or in the evening so it's not so hot!

This hike is absolutely amazing. i HIGHLY recommend going. I recommend going towards sunset because the arch looks beautiful.