Delicate Arch Trail

Delicate Arch Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 613 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

partially paved

Delicate Arch Trail is a short hike in Arches National Park to Utah's most recognizable natural arch. You will likely recognize the famous arch from the Utah license plates. The hike starts at the Delicate Arch Trailhead off at the Wolf Ranch turn-off in the Moab area of southern Utah . There is a large parking area right off of the main park road. From the parking area you will cross the bridge over salt wash. The hike to Delicate Arch is just over 1.5 miles each way, approximately a 3 mile hike round-trip. It is best hiked in spring and fall when the temperatures are cooler, or during the golden hours just after sunrise or and before sunset when the rocks seem to turn a magical color and the air temperature is bearable again. Take at least 1 quart (1 liter) of water per person! There is no shade. Open slickrock with some exposure to heights. The first half-mile is a wide, well-defined trail. Upon reaching the slickrock, follow the rock cairns. The trail climbs gradually and levels out toward the top of this rock face. Just before you get to Delicate Arch, the trail goes along a rock ledge for about 200 yards. A visit to this beautiful arch is a must do in Arches National Park. Parking is limited and can fill up quickly during peak tourism months so make sure to arrive at the trailhead early.

My husband and I went at the end of January earlier in the morning. There were several other hikers but this time of year was pleasant because of the temperature and the fewer hikers. The last bit is icy, but good shoes help. The Arch was so beautiful with the morning sun shining on it and we enjoyed just sitting there for a while. The trail is uphill going to the Arch and downhill going back. I am already planning another visit with my daughters!

icy

Amazing trail & beautiful arch at the end of the trail

Well worth the view! Delicate arch is breathtaking. There is an icy stretch at the end as mentioned in other reviews. We used spikes and felt fine. Probably would’ve been okay without them if we were extra careful.

Love it! The mini cliff crossing is thrilling at the end! Definetly worth it, just bring spikes this time of year!

icy

A nice hike well worth the effort! An amazing view and fairly short. A stretch of ice for about 200 yards you will need to carefully cross or bring ice crampons.

icy

This was a beautiful hike. So when we entered the park we asked the ranger about the conditions of this hike. She said the last 200 yards were icy and they recommend spikes. We were a little bummed that we didn’t have spikes. We went into the gift shop and they sold a set of two for $12.00. I’m so glad we bought them. People were slipping and having a very difficult time getting through. We were able to just go on through with out much difficulty. I highly recommend this hike. If your new to hiking pace yourself l.

icy

This one was on my bucket list! Pretty good elevation gain after you get past Wolfe ranch. Then at the end it can be very icy going up a fairly narrow ledge. My crampons were a lifesaver today, would not have completed the hike if I didn’t have them on.

started down 925a the trail multiple times due to snow and made my way to 925 and headed back after only 1 mile. spikes helped some but snowshoes would have been a lifesaver today

fee

The national park added resvations

This involves mostly hiking up and back down a rock, but you must do this. It is nice to see one of the most photographed arches in person.

icy

I really loved this hike! I’m working on getting back into shape, had to stop a few times to breath, but that’s also prob because I’m from the south. The views were amazing. Loved seeing the different rocks and troughs on the way up. I had surgery on my knee in Sept and still made it up! The arch was amazing. There was a very icy patch a little before the end. I had shoe cleats and that seemed to work really well.

icy

Plus une grosse balade qu’une rando, tout à miser sur le final. Effectivement dernière portion avant d’arriver sur le plateau de l’Arche compliquée. Ça se joue sur 15-20mètres,mais il y a un passage glacé(petite montée et sentier à flanc de roche) sur le finish qui peut être rock’n’roll. Beaucoup de chutes et moyen de se foutre un pet. Soit vous avez des bonnes shoes et du gaz et ça passe,soit réfléchissez.. 5 bornes dans le vent ça peut être frustrant..!

closed
icy

I'm out of shape and found this a tough hike, especially without my inhaler...but I made it. I forgot my crampons and ended up crawling on the slick area everyone is talking about. The views were fantastic! On the way down, I slid on my but. I heard from a local that people have seriously been hurt in the icy section. Please be careful.

recorded Delicate Arch Trail

Jan 28, 2020 This trail is all about the destination. Absolutely worth it!

icy

I've hiked this several times, but never in winter, so I hiked this in January with my 7 year old. The trail is rated difficult by the park, but experienced hikers will find it moderate to easy during summer months. In winter it is more challenging. The last 0.2 miles, where the trail goes along a ledge, were covered in an total ice sheet, which made it pretty scary. Bring micro spikes or creepers if you plan on doing this in the winter. Others were hiking in skater shoes and converse sneakers which is NOT ok. Although we got through it, it was not without its moments and my 7 year old cried. There were other kids there, but it definitely took more adult assistance, hand-holding and in some spots carrying to get through the ice. Ice aside, winter was an amazing time to experience this without crowds.

icy

Lovely trail and views! You'll want some sort of traction device for your boots right at the end. 90% of the trail is just rocky or muddy, but the last 10% is very ice and somewhat steep, so our chains for our shoes came in handy. People were still hiking without them, but it was much more difficult and dangerous for them.