Delicate Arch Trail

MODERATE 1,361 reviews

Delicate Arch Trail is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Delicate Arch Trail is a short hike in Arches National Park to Utah's most recognizable natural arch. You will likely recognize the famous arch from the Utah license plates. The hike starts at the Delicate Arch Trailhead off at the Wolf Ranch turn-off in the Moab area of southern Utah . There is a large parking area right off of the main park road. From the parking area you will cross the bridge over salt wash. The hike to Delicate Arch is just over 1.5 miles each way, approximately a 3 mile hike round-trip. It is best hiked in spring and fall when the temperatures are cooler, or during the golden hours just after sunrise or and before sunset when the rocks seem to turn a magical color and the air temperature is bearable again. Take at least 1 quart (1 liter) of water per person! There is no shade. Open slickrock with some exposure to heights. The first half-mile is a wide, well-defined trail. Upon reaching the slickrock, follow the rock cairns. The trail climbs gradually and levels out toward the top of this rock face. Just before you get to Delicate Arch, the trail goes along a rock ledge for about 200 yards. A visit to this beautiful arch is a must do in Arches National Park. Parking is limited and can fill up quickly during peak tourism months so make sure to arrive at the trailhead early.

easy hike, go in morning to avoid the heat and bring 2 liters water

Crowded but epic

Sooooo many people....

Best arch in the national park! And the hike wasn’t as hard as some may say. Just make sure you start early enough to beat the heat and avoid crowds. We started at 7 am and that was the perfect time. I wouldn’t recommend starting this hike midday; it should honestly be closed around 11 am - 4 pm because that heat can be dangerous!

Fun trail with three distinct sections. Just be careful, sign at trailhead lists it as “1.5....one way.” Quickly read it and assumed it was mileage for out and back (like normal...). Was in for a slightly longer trip than planned. Lots of groups complaining about water very early on and resting in any shade they could find. Also lots of little kids with no water and barely any clothing/protection. Plan appropriately, it’s lots of sun and decent climbing for families.

I hiked this trail starting around 10am before it got too hot. It was pretty steep and I had to stop and catch my breath a few times. There were a lot of people in the same boat. The view from the arch was well worth the hike.

Very worthwhile walk to see delicate arch. It was super hot so wear a broad rimmed hat and bring plenty water. There are some shady areas under trees and rocks on the way up but it's 95% exposed. Terrain is varied and includes walking up a rock.... not a problem if it's dry. Great views at top. We took some time to enjoy view before returning down. We stopped by to see the petroglyphs.

Amazing

Very beautiful. I saw stars here at night, but it's really hard to find the way in the dark.

A must see in arches and Moab. Take plenty of water. Very hot and busy with people all day long. The hustle and bustle of all the people almost makes it more exciting in this case though. Not as negative as when I see lots of people on other trails I do.

Totally worth it! Bring 2 liter of water with you in the hot summer.

Nice trail!

Delicate Arch was amazing to view and it was definitely worth the hike! Bring a lot of water and make sure you look at the other scenery on the way up and down. It’s breathtaking.

Definitely go as early as you can, the crowds are insane. Arrived at the park at 8am, left about 10:30. It’s a beautiful uphill climb to the arch, with little shade. At 8am in early August the heat wasn’t bad, but definitely bring water. There’s a line of people waiting to pose in the arch, so it’s near impossible to get a snap of it without some strangers, but still worth seeing.

Bring lots of water! I did it in the middle of the day in 100+ heat but it was definitely worth it. It’s either up or down.. you barely get flat land while on this trail. I did it in my Chacos and they were the perfect shoe for this hike. The scenery up the entire trail is beautiful. But there is little to no shade so don’t forget water!!’n

This short hike is more than worth it for the amazing view of the arch! The other views from the lower parking lot don’t even come close. There is a bit of climb that might be challenging if you aren’t physically fit and it can be very hot in the summer, but bring water and take your time. Totally worth view at the end!

I hiked this trail in October 2017, it didn't seem like it would be a tough hike since it was fairly short so I had to do it. It was a lot harder than I expected but that had more to do with the fact that I had surgery on both knees less than 5 months prior, had just stopped smoking about 8 months prior and it was the middle of the day. It took me over an hour to reach the top but it was well worth it. I might recommend doing it early in the morning, wear a hat, and take plenty of sunscreen and water, there is no shade.

Go early! We got there at 7:00 am. Uphill to the arch but worth it! Bring water if you are going in summer.

hard to describe the beauty here once you make the climb and get close to the arch. go early as when we were walking out today at 815 am the was an army of people heading up.

amazing! ❤️

Stunning views from all sides when you get to the arch. I have a bum knee and was still completely fine on this hike. Took us a little less than two hours round trip with a 30-40 min stop at the arch.

so worth it!

I'm usually one of those people who knocks a trail for having big crowds, but this is one time where the crowd was part of the fun. We went at sunset in late June, and it was a busy place. Spectacular view of the arch with the mountains in the background and funny people watching at the top.

Hike itself is pretty cool, nothing spectacular, but some nice views and a pretty easy trip. Take a quick detour at the bottom to visit some petroglyphs, but make sure to leave no trace!

Absolutely amazing! We went to the view point to view the arch from a distance during the day, and came back to our camp to nap, before driving back for the park to do the actual hike as the sun was setting, because my Mom couldn’t tolerate the heat of the day.
We both agree that it was absolutely worth it! The hike to the arch at sunset, the energy at the site at twilight and the hike back with flashlights was a hike I’ll never forget.

This trail is a fairly easy trail with one steep portion as you navigate your way up the sandstone. I went early in the morning (7am) and it took me approximately 1.5 hours. The crowds weren’t bad that early but by the time I was leaving there was getting to be a lot of people. This time of year (July 16) I recommend going in the early morning to beat the heat. When I left at about 9am the temperature was already 96. Bring your sunscreen and water. The arch is incredible and worth the hike!

Hiked this three days ago and loved it. We hiked it in the evening and was saved by the clouds. My 14,12, and 9 year old kids really enjoyed it. Bring lots of water and try to hike it early or later in the evening if you have kids. The view at the top is worth it!

This trail is beautiful throughout. I do recommend not going in the middle of the day though (if you’re doing the hike in the summer) because it can get very crowded and hot. Recommend bringing 1 quart of water per person at least.

I did this one at 5 am before the heat and sun came up as I wanted to watch the sun come up and hit the arch. Was well worth getting up early to see, so beautiful. Not too bad of a hike, one part is a bit of a work out but take your time and go early and it is not too bad. If you only have time to do a few hikes in the park make sure you add this one to your list.

Awesome hike! Not to many miles but still took us about 2 hours due to stopping because of heat. I recommend two or more bottles of water per person as well as a shirt than can be easily soaked by water (it helps with the heat). Not hard if you’re in decent shape, it’s the heat that kills so start hydrating the day before because it was so hot I got blisters and our car read 117 degrees. Definitely worth the heat thought, nothing like I’ve ever seen!

The review they give is good. Go when the weather is cooler.