Deer Creek-Dry Creek Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(38)
Lone Peak Wilderness

Deer Creek-Dry Creek Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near American Fork, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,860 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail climbs steeply, and accesses the heart of the Lone Peak Wilderness area which includes high alpine peaks, scenic meadows, and a variety of Flora and Fauna.

I hiked this trail starting at 7:30 AM on June 2, 2020. The lower 1/4 goes through a canopy of maples. A little further up, many beautiful streams were carrying the melting snowpack. Further up, the canopy disappears, and the path provided full sun exposure while doing some switchbacks amidst scrub oak. About 2/3 the way up, (near the 7872 marker on the map at low magnification), I encountered a 70 ft wide snow chute in a ravine with a waterfall above it. The snow was quite packed and slippery. I was hiking by myself and didn't have my microspikes or trekking poles, so I turned back. The trail is a bit scratchy on the legs due to the new growth. But it well worth the trip and I'll try again in a few weeks with the right gear. This is a fun hike with lots of solitude and beautiful running water at lower elevations.

I hiked this May 2, 2020 and made it up to the saddle were the trail starts descending down to Alpine. The first 2.3 - 2.5 miles were pretty clear with occasional patches of snow and small snow fields to cross. After that I put on mico-spikes and used my trekking poles a lot. I brought up snow shoes but didn't use them because the mountain is pretty steep and it was easier with the mico-spikes. Having Alltrails with me helped me stay on track as the trail higher up is completely covered over with 2-5 feet of snow with some cornices even deeper/taller in places. I saw lots of droppings for moose or elk (bigger than deer dropping) and much of it was pretty fresh. I didn't start until 8:30, but it's a good bet I would have run into some big wildlife had I started at sunrise. The snow is much less slushy early in the AM so if you plan to go up where I did, go early. With all the snow still up high, this was a challenging hike. Loved the views. Not many flowers blooming yet. Aspens still without leaves. Saw a male Norther Harrier - (Marsh Hawk) beautiful. I love this hike. Lots of solitude. I will do it again and plan to summit Box Elder Peak in summer.

Attempted this today, but had to turn around 2.3 miles in due to the snow. Better if I had snowshoes. Trail is a bit rocky, but lots of trees and the scenery is fantastic. I’ll be trying it again

closed
icy

After hiking the Box Elder Trail we return back to the trailhead on this trail which is .5 miles shorter than returning back on the Box Elder Trail. The trail is good and well used. Nice view from the saddle of Tibble Fork reservoir. There are times when the trail is rocky.

Turned around before final ascent because of time constraints - trail looked great though! Minimal snow / Ice. Completely fine with layers and trail runners. Beautiful trail!

This trail is very pretty, we only hiked about 3/4 mile in to check it out but it is shady walking along the river and the air is pretty cool

Tue Jun 04 2019

Its a really beautiful hike but extremely hard for those who haven't been on a hike in a while. The trail was rocky and steep and my date and I slipped a couple of times on our way down. We didn't finish the hike but made it halfway before I had to stop because I couldn't breathe. This trail is definitely for more experienced hikers.

Sat Sep 15 2018

went up the trail 1.5 miles up and came back due to time. the fall leaves are definitely coming out and seeing quite a bit of color on the trail.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Quiet trail, hiked 2 mi up.

Wed Sep 13 2017

hiked this for a couple miles this morning. fall colors are definitely coming out. love how quiet this trail is and the gorgeous views. we also saw a deer on the hike today.

Mon Jun 19 2017

nice narrow trail with few people on it.

Sat Jun 17 2017

Great views on this trail as it climbs high on up on the north side of the Canyon. You can see the Tibble Fork reservoir, and Silver Flat reservoir to the south east. My Timpanogos to the South and Box Elder Peak across the Canyon. Moose, Snakes and lizards along the trail and views of a few waterfalls. Saw only three people on the trail. What more could you want?

Sat Jun 03 2017

It was harder than expected. The incline to crazy but it was a blast. Loved running down it

Thu Jun 01 2017

I was the only person on the trail with my two dogs. It was very quiet and peaceful. Lots of different paths you can take to get different views. I really enjoyed it. I will be back. It was great solitude above the busy tibble reservoir.

Sat Apr 29 2017

Really nice hike. Had to turn back at about 7500 feet when the snow got too deep. I'll definitely be back to finish.

Mon Aug 01 2016

DRY CREEK TRAIL - I've only hiked this half of the trail. Some day I will hike the Deer Creek side and post another review about that half of the trail. The trailhead starts in Alpine. It's about 5.1 miles to the ridge and a little over 3900 feet elevation gain. I would rate this as a moderate trail. The views are amazing! To the west you can see Alpine, Traverse Mountain and even Herriman. From the ridge looking east you can see Tibblefork Reservoir. When I hiked up, I "ridge hiked" to the north. This climb is a lot steeper but worth the views. If you go far enough north you can look down at Silver Lake Flat and Silver Lake.