Dead Horse Rim Loop Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

Dead Horse Point State Park is located high on the rim of the Colorado River Canyon, north west of Moab, UT. It offers some of the most spectacular views in the Moab area. There is an excellent hiking/mountain biking loop trail that follows the canyon rim, for more great views. If you are looking to recreate in some of the most scenic country the Moab area has to offer, Dead Horse Point State Park is an excellent choice. Whether mountain biking the Intrepid Trail system (No Dogs Allowed), hiking along the rim trails (Dogs allowed) or just driving to the main overlook, the views are sure to please you.

Great short hike, wonderful views. The history of the area is very interesting. Great visitor centre

What a stunning view. Loved this!

THE BEST... do not miss this one. Started at the parking lot and went clockwise. Be sure to do all the lookouts. Views are breathtaking!

Dead Horse should be a stop for everyone!

Very easy and insanely scenic! Took my pup and we both enjoyed all there was to see! Great for all levels and families as long as you keep an eye out for the hoodoos that guide the general direction. I took all the spur trails to the various overlooks- recommend that too

Great hike that gives a full tour of the state park and the canyon below. Definitely do one or two of the overlooks. Didn’t see anyone else on the trail. No shade, bring water!

Yesterday (Labor Day) Krishna finally got a chance to mountain bike in Moab (YIPPEEE!)... So I did a 5 mile rim trail hike in Dead Horse Point State Park! :D <3 My review below and tons of pics.

If you have limited time at the park, I'd suggest to go to the Dead Horse viewpoint at the end of the park road, then walk on the west rim trail and see all the view points you can. If your time is even more limited go to Meander Point ... that one is the shortest offshoot from the trail and has spectacular views of striped red cliffs looking down into the canyon. The east rim all pretty much have the same view (the same view from Dead Horse Point). But, the viewpoints on the west side are all very different from each other, and it's quite possible you can see in to Canyonlands, which is just breathtaking. Also, from my recording (link below), I did not take the entire loop, and clicked 4.9 miles and 640 ft elevation gain. All trails says the loop trail is 5 miles at 908 feet. Their recording seems to be ONLY for the RIM TRAIL and no viewpoint walks. They do add quite a bit of extra walking. I did not have enough time to go to the Big Horn viewpoint. I hope to do this loop again with more time on my hands because I kind of rushed through all the viewpoints, spending only a few minutes at Meander (I'd love to have spent time just relaxing) and about 20 minutes at Rim Overlook. Honestly, there's just so much to see and be awed at in each viewpoint. I wish I had taken my binoculars! Yes, as others mentioned, the trail is well marked (maybe too well marked) with cairns. All but a few were helpful. A few got me off track!!

I started the trail about 8am on Labor Day, finishing by about 11:30am. On the East Rim, I saw only 2 people at the visitor center. I then only saw one person at Rim Overlook by the time I almost finished the trail. It was blissful! It was cloudy for all but the last 45 minutes, which made the walk very peaceful and not that hot. But, do not forget LOTS of water, a few snacks and sunscreen. The sun is more intense than it appears, even if it IS cloudy! (Note as far as my recording is concerned, I had good cell signal all on the east side of the trial I walked, but it was spotty to non existent on the west side until Kayenta Campground.)

Beautiful views of the canyon. Not many people on the trail at all.

Trail marked with beautiful cairnes, sae a doe chillin under an outcropping of rock

Just got done hiking the full loop at 2pm. This was such a beautiful hike! We came prepared with 2L + of water and snap towels to keep us cool and snacks. Even though it was in the middle of the day, we were prepared and we loved it!

The trail was marked with Cairns and very easy to follow.

did the entire loop and the overlooks and it was 6 miles. except for the over looks I saw 2 other people, this was a very isolated hike. the beauty was stunning! so worth it if you are on fence. took 3 hours, bring a gallon of water, not much shade but there is more on the west rim side. I saw 2 very large black ear jack rabbits close by on the west side. they did run away but I was able to watch them for 200 ft, beautiful!

Great views and a fun hike, but I did this hike in the heat of the day. Faced with the same situation again I would do a short hike near the visitors center and another one at the main overlook. You wouldn’t be sacrificing any views and it would be worth it to avoid the heat.

Very nice hike...the east rim part of the loop is more crowded, shorter and more scenic than the west rim section. Make sure to pack enough water.

Really great views throughout the whole hike. The side trails to viewpoints are well worth it. We saw almost no one on trail once we got away from the visitors center. Bring lots of sunscreen!

Amazing views and easy hike! Highly recommend!

I saw a really cute guy on the hike!

Loved this loop. We started at the lookout parking lot, doing the West Rim first and walking counterclockwise. Make sure you do all the detours. Mostly flat. Follow the cairns on the West Trail, the East Rim is easily identified . DO NOT miss the Basin Overlook, which is right before you return to the parking lot....amazing!!!

Mostly flat. Nice way to stretch your legs and enjoy the amazing views.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

I would agree this is an easy trail with few difficult inclines. The east rim has a clearly marked path in most places and you will quickly reach dead horse point. The west rim is less well marked, although there are copious cairns which were our rock buddies helping us navigate. The canyon views are stunning on both sides of the rim.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Though it wasn't geographically challenging, this was an amazing hike with stellar views of the canyons the whole way around. Make sure you pop off the trail to see the overlooks-- some of the most fun we had on detours! We also took the extra few miles to the Bighorn Overlook which was way more than worth it. Absolutely stunning views! A must see in Deadhorse.

Friday, October 06, 2017

Not what I expected. I wouldn't rate this as moderate. More like easy. This may be impressive to someone who has never been to Moab or perhaps someone who is older. There are plenty of good hikes you can get to with these views without having to pay a $15 entry. I wouldn't do it again. You can easily see the same views from your car and honestly the hike was boring and went parallel to vehicle traffic.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Awesome state park and awesome loop trail. We barely saw anyone on it. If you visit Dead Horse Point and don't do this hike you should punch yourself in the face.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

One of the best hikes you will ever go on. Go early, take your dogs for a morning of solitude and beauty.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Beautiful views of the canyon. Spectacular colors. Quick easy walk at the end of you don't want to hike. It is very hot during the day.

Friday, August 18, 2017

This is one of my favourite walks. Combining the East Rim and West Rim trails results in a hike that is over 5 miles but there are options to cut it short, if necessary. It's pretty hot out there in July but the views are stunning, 2000 feet above the Colorado River. A tip: if you see a man made brick wall then get closer as the wall has been erected to protect people from a sheer drop: so there will be a good view. It's not too busy on the trails, until nearing the coach drop off points, at which point the well-malled trail begins to lose its marker cairns. An amazing place and a camera cannot do it justice, though I have tried. I will be back to try again!

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Beautiful views on this hike! However, parts of the trail, especially East Rim, were a little hard to follow.

off road driving
Saturday, July 01, 2017

Such a cool off road trail! With incredible views the entire journey.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Absolutely breathtaking views!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Beautiful desert trail. East Rim has a well-defined, easy-to-follow trail, whereas on the West Rim you hike on slick rock and follow the rock cairns. West Rim had almost no people on a Saturday morning in June.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Very pretty area! Interesting history as well. Looking forward to returning with my kids and camping there.