Dead Horse Rim Loop Trail

Dead Horse Rim Loop Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Dead Horse Point State Park is located high on the rim of the Colorado River Canyon, north west of Moab, UT. It offers some of the most spectacular views in the Moab area. There is an excellent hiking/mountain biking loop trail that follows the canyon rim, for more great views. If you are looking to recreate in some of the most scenic country the Moab area has to offer, Dead Horse Point State Park is an excellent choice. Whether mountain biking the Intrepid Trail system (No Dogs Allowed), hiking along the rim trails (Dogs allowed) or just driving to the main overlook, the views are sure to please you.

I would agree this is an easy trail with few difficult inclines. The east rim has a clearly marked path in most places and you will quickly reach dead horse point. The west rim is less well marked, although there are copious cairns which were our rock buddies helping us navigate. The canyon views are stunning on both sides of the rim.

Though it wasn't geographically challenging, this was an amazing hike with stellar views of the canyons the whole way around. Make sure you pop off the trail to see the overlooks-- some of the most fun we had on detours! We also took the extra few miles to the Bighorn Overlook which was way more than worth it. Absolutely stunning views! A must see in Deadhorse.

Not what I expected. I wouldn't rate this as moderate. More like easy. This may be impressive to someone who has never been to Moab or perhaps someone who is older. There are plenty of good hikes you can get to with these views without having to pay a $15 entry. I wouldn't do it again. You can easily see the same views from your car and honestly the hike was boring and went parallel to vehicle traffic.

Awesome state park and awesome loop trail. We barely saw anyone on it. If you visit Dead Horse Point and don't do this hike you should punch yourself in the face.

One of the best hikes you will ever go on. Go early, take your dogs for a morning of solitude and beauty.

Beautiful views of the canyon. Spectacular colors. Quick easy walk at the end of you don't want to hike. It is very hot during the day.

This is one of my favourite walks. Combining the East Rim and West Rim trails results in a hike that is over 5 miles but there are options to cut it short, if necessary. It's pretty hot out there in July but the views are stunning, 2000 feet above the Colorado River. A tip: if you see a man made brick wall then get closer as the wall has been erected to protect people from a sheer drop: so there will be a good view. It's not too busy on the trails, until nearing the coach drop off points, at which point the well-malled trail begins to lose its marker cairns. An amazing place and a camera cannot do it justice, though I have tried. I will be back to try again!

Beautiful views on this hike! However, parts of the trail, especially East Rim, were a little hard to follow.

off road driving

Such a cool off road trail! With incredible views the entire journey.

Absolutely breathtaking views!

Beautiful desert trail. East Rim has a well-defined, easy-to-follow trail, whereas on the West Rim you hike on slick rock and follow the rock cairns. West Rim had almost no people on a Saturday morning in June.

Very pretty area! Interesting history as well. Looking forward to returning with my kids and camping there.

Incredible views. Didn't expect such a difference between the West Rim Trail and East Rim Trail.

Beautiful, stunning views along this entire trail. Very lightly trafficked except for the two main viewing areas. Made me appreciate this region more than ever! Wonderful photo ops at so many points. My dog did really well on-leash since it's still cool outside, but she still needed plenty of water breaks (no water available- so bring a lot). I wouldn't recommend bringing a dog on this hike once it's above 75 degrees if you're going to do the entire length. Totally worth the drive and state park fee!

Great sunrise and sunset views.

Pretty easy hike, you can drive up to most of the outlooks if you choose to do so and cut the hiking waayy down. Phenomenal views of red canyons and the Colorado River.

Well maintained trail with awesome views.

Pretty easy hike with great views. We went in the winter and found it pretty easy to navigate for the most part. Just looked for the cairns when we started to get lost at any point.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Did this on Thanksgiving day. Not a lot of people around, weather was great and we had a great time. Bring plenty of water & sunscreen, even in the winter time.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Most of the rim is railed. My heart stopped when my 2 year old ran head of me and I realized that particular section did not have a rail with a 5000 + foot drop off. The weather was perfect in November. I'd love to visit again