Dead Horse Point State Park Short Loop Trail

Dead Horse Point State Park Short Loop Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

After several strenuous days hiking in the mountains in SLC, this was a wonderfully chill little hike with beautiful vistas. I went into the park around 5:00 p.m. Sunday evening. Temperature was warm, but not too hot - low '80s, pack plenty of water still - it's the desert, folks. It's $15 to get into the park and they do take cards. I asked if there was anything I should know, and he suggested I try the Big Horn Lookout trail first as it would be less crowded while everyone was hiking the two main trails. When I reached Big Horn Lookout it literally took my breath away. I was able to hit a few more lookout points - Rim was one of them, and a little wandering on the West Rim Trail. The hiking is easy, the park rangers do a fantastic job with the stacked rock markers to make it easy to get around, it's a pretty stress-free hike! Birds, beetles and tiny lizards who pose for photos. I wandered around for about 2.5 hours pushing the limits of sunset, and ended up driving in the pitch black through the unlit canyons on the way out and back to Moab.

absolutely breath taking

Watched the sunset here and absolutely loved it.

Nice point

Nice stroll with some great viewpoints of the canyons and river below. This is where Tom Cruise filmed some impossible rock climbing abilities in one of the MI films. We had to cut our time short because a really crazy thunderstorm with lightning all around came up fast. Worth the drive out.

Easy walk with a beautiful panoramic view!