Day Lake and Stansbury Crest Trail to South Willow Lake

Day Lake and Stansbury Crest Trail to South Willow Lake is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grantsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

One of Tooele's gems, a must do in the Tooele Valley. Moderate hike that's lightly trafficked. My GPS measured 7.5 miles, took us 3 hours round trip, with 2100 ft elevation gain. Dog friendly with several streams along the way. The second half is quite exposed to the sun, but gives a great view of the valley. I like this one

6.24.2017 | 20lb Backpack | Recommend: Sunscreen & Water Shoes

This trail has multiple river crossings, fallen logs and beautiful scenery which makes it a fun one to hike! It's moderate but exposed so I highly recommend sun protection. The glimpses of the valley are beautiful but the shining features are massive rocks and Willow Lake.

The trail doesn't have much signage or cairns to help you navigate forks, so having a map handy is helpful. Trail is narrow and overgrown in places so watch your step. I stepped one foot close enough to the edge that the soil broke causing me to fall.

There were more people in the canyon and on the trail than expected, but my GSD and I had a blast and are looking forward to exploring this area some more!

The hardest parts are the beginning and the last 1000ft, due to those being the main sources of elevation gain. Beautiful trail, worth every step; but definitely a moderate trail.

This is a beautiful hike that can be done in about 4 hours, out and back. Springtime and early summer hiking gives green lush meadows and plenty of wildflowers along the trail. It also means you'll come across some snow patches to traverse and streams that require wading through or jumping across from rock to rock. Fall hiking isn't as green, but the leaves on the aspen forest are beautiful. You will hike through trees, across meadows, and next to rocky cliffs. There are plenty of lookout points to stop and look out across Tooele valley and the great salt lake. South Willow lake lies at the base of some majestic cliffs in a small basin that is peaceful but not as pretty as the trail leading up to it in my opinion. I've tried taking 11 to 16 year old boy scouts and they petered out at about the 2 mile mark. But I've also seen 5 and 6 year olds make it up, slowly. Overall great hike, not too hard. I'd rate it as moderate, not easy.

From the trailhead at the loop campground, my GPS clocked it at 8.3 miles round trip with about 2631 feet of elevation gain, starting at 7576' and peaking at 9257'.