Davis Creek Trail

Davis Creek Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Farmington, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Intermediate hike to a water fall. For camping, you take the pretty valley split off where you can hike onward through a loop either going to Hell Hole or Pretty Valley to camp. The split off loop is about 3 miles with another 900 foot elevation gain, taking about 3 hours round the loop.

This trail is definitely not a Moderate Difficulty! The majority of the trail if pretty steep, and reversely steep on the way back down. I would definitely rate this as Hard or Strenuous. That being said, the directions took me right to the trail head, there's a parking lot just NW of he trail head to park at. Luckily I had my map downloaded, because there were a few spots with forks. The first fork will give you the option to go to a small waterfall and over a bridge and then goes straight up. The other way will continue you on to Davis Creek Trail. This trail goes up the front of the mountain, across the top, down the back and then around to he front and down. Pretty steep the whole time, especially with the leaves on the ground! The colors were beautiful and the waterfall on the back side of the mountain was absolutely beautiful! I would do this again, just frustrated that it was so ill-labeled difficulty wise.

OK, I, personally, would not rate any trail as “moderate”, if ropes are strung at several places as a aid to negotiating it. Neither would I give a “moderate” rating to a trail which has many narrow, slanted, slippery sections with precipitous drop offs to the canyon floor below, and the only stop if you slide off is the distant bottom. There are several crisscrossing trails, not all of them as treacherous as the Davis Creek trail that runs right next to the canyon. It’s a moderate but easy ascent to the split where you can go left and parallel the canyon (challenging) or go right and take the Pretty Valley loop (I’d call it friendly... kid and dog doable) which leads to and traverses a mountain meadow. The Pretty Valley trail lives up to it’s name, especially now, in the Fall, with leaves turning color. There’s a great camping spot along the way if you’re backpacking. Ultimately the Pretty Valley route will get you, fairly painlessly, to the top waterfall, which is amazing. I got to the top waterfall this route, then chose to descend via the Davis Creek trail which hugs the side of the canyon and eventually comes to a nexus with a bridge that allows for crossing over the creek to the Triumph Trail on the other side. The Davis Creek trail parallel to the canyon is wonderful for its views, but, again, not without some steep, difficult, and scary passages. I wouldn’t take my kids or dogs this way. Nor myself again! The Pretty Valley route, though, gets a big thumbs up.

The trail is, for the most part, steep. I was glad I had my poles. I started up trail and missed the turn when trail turned South just past bench. There was another trail cut up the side of the stream so I followed it to the bridge. From there I wasn’t sure if I should cross bridge or cut up on the right trail. I chose right-which was wrong. Extremely steep and about 3/4 of the way up, I decided to live to see another day I should go back down. Then I tried crossing the bridge which turned out to be equally treacherous. After taking in the amazing waterfall view, I slid back down to bridge on my butt just to be safe and backtracked to the original trail and took the turn that I missed initially. Heading South on correct trail, the view was spectacular, and while it was still steep in places, it was completely doable. Either way, a pretty trail and a good workout.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Hold up! This trail is rated moderate, and Holbrook Canyon trail is hard? Who does these ratings?!

Lots of waterfalls to see and routes to choose. I would rate this as difficult, not moderate. Attempting to follow the Davis County official trailmap stays much closer to the creek and eventually becomes bushwacking.

Took our kids on this one - not kid friendly for us. Pretty narrow in sections and quite steep.

Easy hike, however I made the mistake on going on one of our 100+ degree days. There were plenty of places to cool off. I did not attempt the rope to the waterfall, however my husband and dog made it fine.