Crack Canyon is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Green River, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length4.9 miElevation gain357 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingNature tripsRock climbingBird watchingViewsRockyScrambleNo shade
Waypoints (0)
Photos (72)
Recordings (57)
Completed (152)
Jonathan Belyeu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 5, 2020
Hiking

As others mentioned, dirt road was fine in an suv (murano). Some downclimbs so be ready to use your hands. Really pretty.

View Jonathan's Recording
Amanda Moseley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 21, 2020
HikingScramble

Very pretty hike through slot canyons. Several technical areas. We hiked it with my 2 year old, which ended up okay but I probably would not do it with her again. Also, definitely download the map for this hike before hand to avoid any scary moments later.

Kim Decker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2020
Hiking

loved this trail! lots of sun and a few steep drops off, but manageable by most experienced hikers. there are ropes to help assist getting up and down 2 of the drop offs.

View Kim's Recording
Vicki Dimi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 12, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

My very first slot canyon ever! Did it by myself. Was a bit creeped out as there was nobody else besides me. The road was very rough so definitely bring 4x4 if you can. There were a couple of spots where you had to rappel but no more than about 10ft. Wasn’t hard. I have no special training and was perfectly fine on my own (I am 5’3).

Kathy Fanning
View Kathy's Recording
Kathee Hepworth
View Kathee's Recording
Megan Kostrubanic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
View Megan's Recording
Nick Hansen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2020

We had a fun time doing the canyon. I don't need to repeat everyone else but I will add I did this road with my Malibu and was wishing I brought my truck. It was very rough.

David Platt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 28, 2020
HikingScramble

short, fun slot canyon with some very picturesque segments. 2 drops in the canyon were fairly technical but not too large -- just be prepared mentally and be confident with upper body strength to assist Did this as part of the Crack Canyon to Chute Canyon loop, camping in the connecting wilderness, which I HIGHLY recommend

Serena Talbot
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

I wouldn't recommend this for dogs without the proper harness, rope, and climbing/repelling knowledge for dogs!! Canyoneering Rating: 2A II-III Amazing tail. A little more technical than Little Wild Horse Canyon but not as technical as Dang Canyon.

Emilie Rowand
Hiking

great hike! slot canyons start about 1.2 miles from the trailhead and there several amazing areas! trailhead is off a gravel road, no 4x4 really required or high clearance.

View Emilie's Recording
Silvia Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2020
Hiking

No hicimos el canyon completo pero exploramos mucho. Es una área muy única y bonita--un buen lugar para tomar fotos.

Jennifer Hemberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
Hiking

Allows dogs but the last .7mi isn’t dog friendly unless you can lift them over your head— 2-3 areas involve large drops and have a rope to help but would have been difficult if not impossible with dogs

View Jennifer's Recording
Bridget C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020
Hiking

great hike, highly recommend, there were no other people # social distancing it was tricky to find the trailhead, definitely google earth it before... notable fact: closest gas we could find is 40 mi away in green river.

Dustin Wachsmuth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020

Goblin valley, Carmel and

View Dustin's Recording
Jacob Burdis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020
HikingScramble

This is a fun easy partial slot canyon hike if Little Wildhorse is too crowded. We went in the morning and had the trail to ourselves most of the time. It’s pretty, but only slots a few times. There are a couple of scrambles but there’s rope to help. But they are also pretty easy without using the ropes if you have any experience.

View Jacob's Recording
Matt Sutherland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 11, 2020
Hiking

We loved this one. Lots of obstacles to climb over and the trail was not busy at all. The first part of it has a long dirt road to follow which is uneventful, but once you get into the crack it’s great.

View Matt's Recording
Dacia Black
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike with husband and two 35 pound dogs in early April. Temps were in the 50s when we started and in the 70s when we finished. I don't think the dogs would like it if it was much warmer, as the sand was already getting hot for their paws by the end of the day. Access is easy, and the 4 miles of dirt roads are well groomed. We parked on the road, which added about another 0.5 miles to get to trailhead. My GPS said we went about a total of 7 miles round trip. There were two small pools of water in the canyon where the dogs were able to get wet and cool down but looks like they will dry up soon unless it rains. Take plenty of water. We did this hike on a Tuesday, and didn't see anyone else on the trail - but of course, it was during the time of 'social distancing' so that was a good thing I suppose. The canyon is beautiful. There are two spots where you will need to down climb, and there are ropes there already. One of them (the second going down canyon) has a go around trail if you need or want it. My dogs are pretty good going up and down slick rock, but they struggled in a few places. We were able to lift and push them over these locations. I don't think we could have done it with larger dogs. The slot sections of this canyon are beautiful. We have lived in Moab for several years, and I cannot believe I have never been here before. I am looking forward to bringing as many friends and family back to this canyon once the world reopens.

Sarah Turley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 26, 2020
HikingMuddyScramble

Fun, fun fun! Nice mix of scramble, slot, rock hopping n views

View Sarah's Recording
Steven Steven Swasey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 16, 2019
Hiking

Fun, quick hike. Very few people.

View Steven's Recording
Leksi Skousen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2019
HikingScramble

Really cool hike. We brought our 45 lb dog and had to lift her down a few spots, but it wasn’t bad. There wasn’t any water on the hike, so that was a plus (that we didn’t have to wade at all) but make sure to bring enough water to last you. Moderately technical, and there is a good amount of shade throughout the hike. The views and the rock formations are spectacular. Would definitely do again.

View Leksi's Recording
James James Russell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2019
HikingRocky

Just completed this trail last week with the family and two dogs. Would not reccomend bringing dogs on the hike. There are several areas where you have to climb down rocks. Easy to do, even with children, but a different story with 90 lbs. dogs. We did this hike as an overnight combined with Chute Canyon. The trail on the backside that connects the two canyons is not very visable. It will take some navigational skills. I used a GPS, but i was even questioning the accuracy of it at times. I did find a sign at the end of Crack Canyon that pointed in somewhat of the general direction and said "Chute Canyon 2 miles". It is actually around 3 miles, so don't get discouraged or think you missed it. Absolutely no water on the hike in June, so leave the water filter and just pack plenty of water. Absolutely loved both Canyons, but Crack was my favorite.

Madi Kraus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2019
Hiking

First to the trailhead on Memorial Day weekend. Went out 6 miles and had it all to myself. On the way back it was crawling with kids and dad’s carrying 7 liters of water and trekking poles. Sheesh. Early ya go the less wet your feet will get. There are multiple rope sections.

View Madi's Recording
James Bobb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2018

Did this trail on the 9th of September. Temps midday were still in the 90s. Not the easiest hike to get to. You have to take a 4 mile long dirt road that it very rough in some places but worth the trip. I was the only one on this trail very secluded and remote. If your looking to get away from it all this is the one. Trail has nice views through the first part of it but once you reach the narrows it becomes this alien world. Water has cut thousands of holes in the sides of the canyon. Didn't make it all the way to the end because of storm clouds near by, didn't want to risk it. I will be going back to finish this one. Loved it.

Miles Travis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2018
Hiking

Nice easy hike through some very pretty narrows. The third section of slot was filled with waist-deep water, so we turned around. I think it would have been passable except we had small children with us and changes of clothes.

marrisa porter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 1, 2018
First to Review