New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Coyote Gulch Loop

Coyote Gulch Loop is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lake Powell, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,840 feet Route Type: Loop

From the trailhead, hike miles along a sandy trail to reach the rim of the canyon. Then squeeze through Crack in the Rock and then hike to the bottom of Coyote Gulch being greeted by towering red rock cliffs found at the canyon bottom. From there you hike south to the mouth of the Escalante River, cross it and then encounter a steep climb to Stephen's Arch, the eye of Stevens Arch is 220 feet across and 160 feet tall. The views from under Stephen's is breathtaking. Once you force yourself to leave you hike back the way you came and continue up Coyote Gulch to Jacob Hamblin's Arch, climb out (rope recommended), and then head south through alternating sand and slick rock back to the trailhead.

This was one of my favorite hikes in Utah. It is beautiful. The rock scramble was a little intimidating but it really was not that bad. We didn’t use any ropes, just careful footing. As others have said, there was rope others had left there, but it would have been unsafe to use. The views from below are breathtaking. We also found a great swimming hole!

Intense trail with lots of awesome sights to see. Those tackling this trail should be in good physical condition and not afraid of slick rock.

I am from SLC and this is hands down my favorite hike in southern utah. I believe it has the best of what southern utah has to offer in this short 10.5 miles. There is water running in the gulch all year round but it is muddy. Bring a good filter (more than a life straw) and some method to clean it. There is also a handful of springs through the hike and you can avoid filtering the muddy creek water entirely depending upon the amount of daily hiking and water consumption. The way out is quite sketchy (but do-able), there is a climbing rope for support but that has not always been there. The hike to and from the gulch is HOT! Once you are in, it is incredible.

*For those that have completed the climb at Hamblin Arch... What are the anchoring options to set a rope (any boulders, trees, etc. in the area)? Is meat anchoring an option? Is a 100ft rope enough to get down the majority of the climb? If I am bringing beginners with no climbing or desert hiking experience (but they are athletic males), do you think they could handle climbing with a full pack?

We went Counterclockwise from Forty Mile Access Road. Descend through the crack in the wall between the rock face. Following the trail takes you right into the gulch where cool water flows at ankle height. The ascent at the end of the gulch is a little dicey with some climbing rope dangling from a rock scramble. Don't depend on the rope to hold your weight, but you can use it for balance. Make sure to look for the cairns that hug the canyon ridge that cuts across the desert back to the parking. We didn't.... and got a little lost/detoured trekking across the desert.

This was an awesome hike and once you get down there it is beautiful. Did this hike with the wife, two teen daughters and 7 year old son. We descended through the crack in the wall. This was a 3 day backpacking trip for us, we just wanted to enjoy our time down there, but it can be done in a day. We did walk past the lagoon and had to backtrack to find the trail, there are no markers to let you know which trail leads you to the lagoon, so do your research beforehand if you want to hike to it. It was one of the highlights for us. We did walk barefoot through a lot of the streams but wished we had brought hiking sandals. It would have been easier on our feet. As for the exit climb at Jacob Hamlin, I did ascend it the first time with little help from the ropes with no pack on, so I think a more experienced person can do it without the rope. Once I was up, I found one of the ropes to be safely secured, so I went back down to grab my 40 pound backpack which I wouldn't have been able to make to make it up without the rope. My wife and teen daughters made it up with their backpacks but also needed the rope. We created a harness for our 7 year son and hooked the rope onto it, he was able to climb it with no problem even though he was scared to death of the climb. If you are scared of heights and not secure in your climbing abilities, find another way out. Once you complete your ascend and trying to find your way back to your vehicle it gets tricky. We started following cairns and realized it was taking us the wrong way from where we wanted to go. Read John Crawford comments below, # 6 and 7 about the trail getting back to your vehicle. This AT app saved us by pointing us in the right direction after initially going the wrong way.

This hike is unbelievable! If you’re quick, it’s totally possible to do it in under 5 hours without much effort, but I’d plan to spend more time down there if you have a camera and a good eye. I can’t for the life of me figure out why people don’t hike back to the start of the trail. Almost everyone was starting at the trailhead but then they hiked back to a different parking lot. That’s pretty dumb. With regard to the exit scramble at Jacob Hamlin arch: First off, you don’t need a rope. You can easily just walk up it in wet shoes with no problem. Secondly, if there’s a rope there, and you use it, you are putting your life in the hands of a stranger. If you’re holding onto a rope and the rope fails, you’re definitely dead. There were two ropes when we got there and I told my wife NOT to use them. As it turns out, they were both anchored improperly and one of them wasn’t even a climbing rope. It was a tow strap from Wal-Mart. News flash: a tow strap is not a climbing rope. Just climb it and don’t fall.

The trail is super rad. We ran into a ranger down in the gulch, he was checking to make sure people were NOT having fires and WERE packing their poop out. You can get poop bags at the visitors center if you need. There’s no dogs allowed on the trail and there is a bathroom randomly in the middle of the gulch with a composting toilet. The end part was quite the climb out and not for the faint of heart. Lots of people were down there.

This was a beautiful hike absolutely loved it. Happy I brought along my water shoes for all the river crossings. Absolutely amazing hike. PSA - Between Coyote Natural Bridge and Cliff Arch my group lost a pair of black Smith mirrored sunglasses. If you happen to find them could you contact Shane Mogan (NOT Morgan) on Facebook or Instagram.

Fri Oct 12 2018

I did this loop as a 1-night overnight. Actually, it was my first backpacking trip though I have day-hiked many, many miles. We dropped in at crack-in-the-wall and exited at the Sneaker Route. Be mindful of storms in the area, for the few days prior to your hike. I find these warnings fatiguing when I read about canyon hikes, but when you are *in* the canyon and you see how prone you are to water you realize you can’t be too careful with this risk. As a hike, this is tremendous. It is magnificent and worth all the effort. Take this hike. I would advise this as a day-hike, though. At 11 miles it’s a reasonable day-hike length and the effect of a large pack on your center of gravity at egress is unwelcome. [1] The drive down Hole in the Rock road takes longer than you think. It’s rough, slow driving. [2] There are 2 trail heads - the first is called Water Tank and is close to Hamblin Arch, the second is called 40 Mile and is more east. The path from 40 Mile trail head, east to Crack in the Wall, is easy to follow and turns from sandy to bare rock about halfway. Cairns are easy to follow. [3] In the gulch, the trail miles just zoom past. There is so much to see and the trail is constantly changing. That said, it’s not particularly fast, and it’s not particularly taxing (even with backpacking weight). We did about 25 minutes per mile in the gulch without really trying, and without dawdling. [4] I found Hamblin Arch, itself, a bit underwhelming, but the rest of the canyon was far better than expected. [5] The Sneaker Route (called Moki Stairs on Google Maps?) is wildly fun. I ascended it without rope and with 30 pounds on my back - slowly. Prior to my trip I had read countless reviews of this feature and I saw a wide variety of comments representing all skill levels and risk appetites. I found it to be less physically taxing than expected, but simultaneously a bit more unnerving. Know yourself before doing this. [6] The Sneaker Route is right on the trail and easy to find if you know what you’re looking for. But...if you don’t you might walk right past like I did. I found this AT app to be valuable in this regard. [7] It is difficult to determine the “top” of the Sneaker Route as the rock simply becomes less steep. The cairns point to Water Tank trail head, so if you parked at 40 Mile TH be prepared to get east before you might think you need to. After the egress, the hike to the TH is anticlimactic.

Fri Oct 12 2018

As others have said this is a 16 mile hike. We went down the Crack in the wall. Fantastic views and the gulch itself has new vistas around every corner. Slow going for the first 3 miles in the gulch. The rock scramble up from the Jacob Hamelin arch is totally underestimated in all descriptions. It is hard and the ropes left by others cannot be relied on. Two in our party could not do this and walked out the Hurricane Wash for an extra 5 miles

Sun Sep 02 2018

Beautifull hike but quite streneous. After crack in the rock it was hard to find a passable trail. A couple of German hikers we met gave up there. We went up the rocks to find a passage. After it gets better but still not much of a trail. Took us 8h overall to do the loop. probably can be done faster by experienced hikers. Get out of the canyon was tough, especially for my companion who is a bit scared of heights. Better not underestimate that part. I was glad I brought: a gps, rope, water filter (We drank 11 liters). Otherwise great hike! Enjoyed it.

Sat May 19 2018

Stunning hike, great views, offers everything could expect out of Escalante.

Wed Apr 25 2018

Outstanding area to hike and backpack. Stunning scenery. It has it all for the desert lovers

recorded Coyote Gulch Loop