Cottonwood Wash

Cottonwood Wash is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hanksville, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,207 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

It’s almost like four different hikes in one. You have the flat open path, the paths up through the mountain, the rocky section, then finally the slot canyon. Some notably harder parts include climbing under a large rock, shimmying your way up a foot wide narrow, and boosting yourself up over a rock a few feet up. It is recommended to stop by the visitor’s center and get info for this trail from a ranger. The start is technically outside of the park and you hike into it if you get past the deep water. Park at the trailhead or off road the first mile and have fun strolling down the flat open pathway.

Its a three star because I rented a Rubicon and had fun driving the extra mile in. The hike isnt that interested and if you have hiked one wash you kinda have hiked this one. There is a nice narrows. Didnt go past the big chock stone, too darn hot in the mid day sun. Three because if you did Zebra or Peekaboo this doesnt compare.

We are SO glad we found this trail!! It’s almost like four different hikes in one. You have the flat open path, the paths up through the mountain, the rocky section, then finally the slot canyon. Some notably harder parts include climbing under a large rock, shimmying your way up a foot wide narrow, and boosting yourself up over a rock a few feet up. I would recommend stopping by the visitor’s center and getting a map for this trail from a ranger. It certainly gave us some confidence in doing this hike for the first time. The start is technically outside of the park and you hike into it if you get past the deep water (we didn’t go through it though because it looked very deep and dirty). We just parked at the trailhead instead of off roading the first mile and had fun strolling down the flat open pathway.

Mon Apr 02 2018

Cottonwood Wash - maybe Cottonwood Slot Canyon would be a better name. A Ranger at Capitol Reef told us about this amazing hike. I am a little unsure of where the start of this trail is. At the Visitor Center, we were told to park right off Notom Road where there is a small sign for Cottonwood Wash and an unpaved parking lot & that it would be about a mile in before you hit the slot canyon. We started off walking from there down the Designated Route (for off road vehicles). When we were about 1/3 of a mile down the road, the pick-up truck who came in right after us came driving down the road. I decided to go back & drive my (4 wheel drive) truck. As I am not an experienced off-road driver, I went as far as I felt comfortable, which was about a mile & I parked on the side of the dirt road. It was still at least 1/3 of a mile down the road before the road ends & just the regular wash begins, and then maybe another mile after that before you actually get into the slot part of the hike. Then- it is sooo good. You will need to be a bit agile to climb your way through. It was the first hike ever that my 9 & 11 year old kids were having an easier (and more fun) of a time then I was. We went in as far as we could until you hit a wall that requires technical climbing & ropes. Even with cutting off about a mile of the dirt road, All Trails tracked us around 6 miles (and my Garmin at 6.2), but being in a Canyon, the tracking is off. We spent almost 4 1/2 hours hiking/climbing/scampering about.

Fri Feb 02 2018

Amazing rock formations, highly recommended

Mon Sep 24 2018