Copper Pit Overlook

Copper Pit Overlook is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tooele, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

The route starts at the top of the narrow canyon road up Butterfield Canyon, west of Herriman Utah. You can hike or drive from the top point of the canyon up to the mountain. There's a lot of private property in the area, so respect the signs posted about where you can go. If you stay on the road, you should be fine. The dirt roads are steep but accessible to normal cars in good weather. Along the road and at the overlook, you'll get amazing views of the Salt Lake, Utah, and Tooele Valleys along with the copper mine and any wildlife in the area. The area seems popular for spotting hawks. It's also a great place to view the surrounding Oquirrh Mountains as well as Deseret Peak to the west and the Wasatch Mountains to the east.

off road driving

Took my Jeep up there yesterday and enjoyed the drive. The views were really great--a mixture of mountainous vistas and man-made geometrical mountains. Given the moderate rating, I was hoping for a bit of challenge, but found the roads, even snowy and muddy as they were to be really quite easy. Inspiration Point in Willard offered a more satisfying off-roading experience. However, the payoff at the end was really quite cool. Definitely would recommend. If you are uncomfortable with heights, drop-offs, and tight roads, you might not enjoy it so much.

Lot of people driving up and down the road when my dad and I went so it was really dusty. The heat bothered me more than anything since there wasn't much shade. My dad complained about being out of shape after retirement on our way up, but it took us about an hour to reach the top and only 40 minutes downhill.

This was my first time exploring these mountains and it was prettier than I expected. The scenery during the hike was nice (once the dust cleared) especially with the trees changing colors. Saw a lot of chipmunks along the way and 3 hawks circling around above the mine once we got to the top. On our drive up to the parking area, I glimpsed something that looked like a young moose (dark colored, round nose, antlers that were beginning to come in), but I didn't get a good enough look to verify what it was. The mine itself was impressive I guess, I enjoyed seeing the surrounding nature more to be honest. Seeing the mine after seeing all the beauty around it was a bit sad.

I'm glad I hiked it, just to see in person the effects we have on the environment around us, but I wouldn't hike it again. Getting there was really easy, just drive up Butterfield Canyon until you come to a parking area that forks into 2 roads. It's labeled as Butterfield Peaks Trailhead on Google Maps. The road to the overlook is the right fork.

off road driving

Amazing view of the mine and other areas. We did however see a mountain lion

Great view of the Mine and some of the city. Trail isn’t hard but it’s bumpy and dusty. Lots of traffic on weekends. This is a “must do” for everyone who gets a new 4x4 in Salt Lake. Super easy

off road driving

Wouldn't much care to hike this trail. It's clearly a road meant for vehicles. Very dusty so you'd be eating dirt if you were walking. Views from up top are pretty incredible. The pit mine is impressive, if somewhat guilt-inducing for what we humans have done to the Earth, but the modern city beyond was built with a lot of copper wire. Sort of like looking past the carcass of a slaughtered cow to a nice filet mignon dinner. But I digress...

Great drive and I highly recommend continuing on to Tooele or Heriman, depending on which direction you came in from. Both sides of the mountain are beautiful.

off road driving

Amazing view of the open pit mine

The trail itself is good quality because it is a road. There is not much shade, but in the morning the temperature is cool and pleasant. There are amazing views almost the entire way. There was not much vehicle traffic when we did it, and it is easy and enjoyable.

Great view of the copper mine and surrounding area. While I was up there the clouds rolled in and then started to hail and rain. That was pretty cool.

A drive everyone should do once in their life for the view. Too many cars for hiking it. I started in Salt Lake, went to the top, then came down into Tooele.

off road driving

fun little drive with a great view.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

What a spectacular view of this copper mine. The drive up Butterfield Canyon about freaked my wife out, single lane and a sheer drop over the edge. The trip to the overlook was a gravel road with some rough patches which a car could make but slow as you go or it would be easy to do some damage.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Drove up butterfield canyon and once the pavement stopped and the road forks we parked and hiked up. Took us about an hour and a half from the car to the mine overlook. And about an hour coming down.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Crappiest hike ever. The whole thing is a gravel road with vehicles going by the whole time. And the side of the road is littered with beer bottles and food wrappers. The view of the mine is great but if that's what you want then drive up to the top like everyone else and find somewhere else to hike.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

People go way to fast through butterfield which is basically a single lane road. Seen a rattlesnake that someone cut the rattler off his tail. View of the mine is cool air quality sucks kinda hinders your view of the valley. Otherwise a fun little drive to see for miles!

Thursday, June 01, 2017

I hiked this trail today with three kids, husband, and dog. The steep inclines were tough on all of us, and the last bit was still covered in snow. However, the view of the mine and valley was totally worth it!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Beautiful drive but there's no trail plus we spoke to someone at the mine & they said it's been closed for 4 years. Drive is definitely worth it but do not expect a trail unless you're willing to walk into the woods with no signs & no direction

Monday, December 12, 2016

Did this many years ago in the fall. Fun to see the mine. amazing the volume of soil moved over the years to create the pit.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

So sad that Kennecot has destroyed so much land, polluted so much water and poisoned such a large area

Monday, June 16, 2014

This is a pretty drive. A bit scary, just because of how high it is and the dropoff. But once you get up there and look at the biggest open mine pit, it is truly amazing, you can see the salt lake valley, its beautiful.

Monday, June 03, 2013

The trail marker on all trails is on the wrong peak. Go to the Tooele county site for better directions. http://www.tooelecountytrails.com/

recorded Copper Pit Overlook