For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Cold Water Canyon Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.2 mi Elevation gain 1,952 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

The trail takes you through the bottom of Cold Water canyon and through an old Civilian Conservation Corps camp. The trail is used to access Indian trail and campers frequent the area. This canyon stays cool during the summer months making it a popular place to escape the heat. As you follow the trail, you can see old foundations of the Civilian Conservation Corps camp from the 1930s. This was one of the base camps for the workers during the depression who built the walls along the Ogden river. In addition, the mountains in the area were heavily mined until the 1950s.

Parking lot available at Trailhead

Ogden Ranger District- (801) 625-5112

Cold Water Canyon Trailhead The Cold Water Canyon Trailhead is in Ogden Canyon, about 1.5 miles up from its intersection with Valley Drive (at Rainbow Gardens). There is a Smokey the Bear sign along the highway by the Trailhead.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (166)
Photos (168)
Recordings (130)
Completed (295)
Romina Aguado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

it was shady along the whole trail. it was easy to miss the trailhead. go left right before the second bridge. it was very overgrown, would not recommend shorts

View Romina's Recording
Chandler Reed
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Great little hike. Don't miss the trail to the LEFT going up. I went right and ended up on the Indian trail for a good bit. Trail is maintained very well and suitable for all ages. Fun easy going trail!

Kathryn Leonardi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingOver grown

Very overgrown, wear pants to avoid having weeds irritate your legs.

View Kathryn's Recording
Leon Soo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

Too overgrown. Need bushwhacker. Stopped halfway because could not see trail ahead. Very shaded though. Not hot at all.

View Leon's Recording
Audrey Ludwig
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2020
HikingOver grown

Coldwater Canyon Trail is overgrown.

View Audrey's Recording
Cat Corbin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
Hiking

The person I was with got two inches away from stepping on a rattlesnake. Be careful out there!

Tiffani Erickson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

This was a great trail. It did get pretty muddy and steep at the end though.

View Tiffani's Recording
Allan Ambrose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 26, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! No one on the trail once you get past all the Indian trail people. Couldn’t finish because there was a creek running through the middle of the trail and it was really muddy!

Chrissy Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020
HikingSnow

Great trail! Haven’t hiked/ran trails in a while but today did not disappoint. Went with a friend and took my dog. We hiked in some snow but not much. It made for a gorgeous view. The dog loved it as well. Really easy for the most part. A few steep hill climbs but overall perfect! We went the short way coming out which was a total of 6.7 miles. Our total elevation gain was about 1200 ft.

Kandy Maxwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
Hiking

EXTREMELY steep. Total workout. Killed my legs. Definitely would not rate this “moderate” it’s made for a flippin mountain goat.

Malea Moody
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

We went today, May 2nd, 2020, and couldn't finish the trail. There was a stream running down the trail towards the end that made it quite difficult to get up and down. We thought we found the trail again but it wasn't clear so we turned around. Still a pretty hike, but I am very muddy now haha.

Michael Gilchrist
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 26, 2020
Hiking

Was great but got muddy and very snowy. Quite irritated I couldn’t finish it. Had to give up with like .5 miles left. Couldn’t get past the snow!

View Michael's Recording
Kable Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 25, 2020
Hiking

Great hike. I lost the trail at about 1.7 miles but found it again. Lost it again at about 1.9 and couldn’t find it again. There is still some snow at the top of the trail.

View Kable's Recording
Rachel Graham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 20, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailOver grownSnow

I did this trail Monday April 20th 2020. I really didn’t mind this trail but it is not as well marked as some. At about 1.7 miles All-trails said I competed it but there was about .8 of a mile left on the map. This is not surprising as all-trails always says I’ve completed it before the trail ends. Anyway I went on to finish the .8 miles but shortly after the app said I completed the trail the trail was full of snow and no longer visible. Thanks to all trails I was able to stay on track pretty much the whole way. It was dry up to the 1.7 miles and pretty shaded. There were a few bugs out but not many. As others have stated the trail forks off to another trail. Luckily I always watch my map when I am not sure which to take and if I take the wrong one it notifies me plus I read the reviews so I had a heads up. Basically you just keep to the left. I think it was about .7 miles from the trail head after a bridge but there is another bridge which you will go over pretty much right away if you take the wrong trail. I went right before noon and only ran in to a couple of people prior to the .8 mile mark. No one going up or coming down after that.

View Rachel's Recording
Cambrie Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
HikingRockySnow

There is a small parking lot. Great long trail. Gets pretty narrow in a lot of spots. Some small spots with a little tiny creek. Good “sight seeing” spots! Definitely a good push and good workout for beginners and gets you out of your comfort zone! A good amount of trees! There is still some snow left when you get to the top and then it heads down.

Hannah Rearick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 5, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRockySnow

I would recommend this hike, but be careful because it forks and turns into the Indian Trail head and that’s way difficult. The top is almost completely snowed in, so we had to turn around. Fun hike, I would just wait a few more weeks.

Hannah Rearick
HikingIcyMuddyRockySnow

I would recommend this trail, but be careful because it forks off and turns into the Indian trail. The top is also almost completely snowed in so we weren’t able to make it. Fun hike though, I would just wait a few more weeks to do the whole thing.

View Hannah's Recording