Coalpits Wash

Coalpits Wash is a 14.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rockville, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and birding and is best used from October until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A hike through a rocky wash

Backpacked out to campsite 6...1.7 miles with just about 0 elevation change. Once you get there, the trail follows the riverbed from what I could gather. I went another 1.5 miles down just to check it out. You'll encounter some decent obstacles along the way after campsite 6...lots of big rocks the size of your mothers minivan. TBH, I only ended up down this trail because I wanted to backpack in Zion and every other backcountry site was taken when I got there. Zion is a tourist trap x9000, so know what you're in for before you arrive.

In early March wife and I hiked to campsite #6 and stayed the night. Nighttime temps were in the mid 20's, but our trip landed on the coldest night of the week. The section of the trail between the road and campsite 6 is very easy, with only 3-4 sections of steep downhill/uphill. Other than that it's flat and makes for a quick hike. We saw a few other groups during our stay, but it was not crowded. The trail runs alongside the wash/creek, sometimes butting right up against it, and at other times the trail veers 50 yards or so away from the creek. I'm sure some people hike the creek itself, but this would require significantly more effort - the trail is well defined. We thought the views were fantastic, but certainly not the best in Zion. This is a great winter hike.

amazing landscape. well marked trails.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Desert section until campground 2, then rock scrabbling for about a mile and the last couple miles is full of nice views. Stayed the night at campground 5, did not see any other people in the area, seemed like we were farther than 4.25 miles from our car. I would not hike in summer as it seemed there would be many places to encounter a rattlesnake. The banks of the stream had many animal tracks, including what we believe to have been a mountain lion. Check the mud along the banks before stepping some parts are quicksand like and go very deep. Over all a nice hike that we will do again during the cooler months, especially end of winter with the spring is running.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Nice trail along a river, which is great for horses. Pretty flat but with some steep washes so not a beginner trail.

Friday, August 09, 2013

A rock scrambling hike up a small creek with little water flow at times. But when it rains this ting creek can rage into a roaring river. As you boulder jump back and forth heading up Coal pits the small little canyon gets a little greener and some hanging gardens start to pop out under the shelves of the banks, A small little slick rock water fall is a great place to camp and enjoy the sounds of the creek. A lot of the junipers were burned during a wildfire years ago. The trail from here has two options. Continue up stream to the oil well or go left on the Chinile trail and continue over to the Petrified forest. From there you can either back track or go down Scoggins wash or Huber. You can continue down the Chinle and end up on Anasazi Plateau near Rockville, Bring plenty of water in the summer. It can get rather muddy in the winter and during the monsoons.