Clayton Peak via Guardsman Pass Trail

Clayton Peak via Guardsman Pass Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Brighton, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Dogs are permitted on this trail because it is east of the Salt Lake City watershed, but please be mindful to not bring dogs into the watershed areas near Brighton, Big Cottonwood, and Little Cottonwood Canyons.

I loved this hike!! We decided to hike the peak in the morning to see the sunrise. We started hiking around 4am and got to the peak at 5:30am. It’s a pretty steep hike, and when you get to the ridge line it can be a little difficult to follow. The entire experience is definitely worth it. There is also a lake directly below the peak. If you back track about 0.5 miles back you can hike down to it. Do this hike you won’t regret it!!!

nice little hike after work

Great hike with good views at the top. While on the trail we ran into Forest Service officials who indicated that this trail is actually in watershed, so no dogs are allowed. Dogs can be on the trails to blood lake. But not allowed on the peak area.

Had to park on the road, typical for a Saturday. What I love about this trail is there’s no lead up or long approach to the steep trail. You start climbing right after the parking lot. Definitely a hard trail but can be done by most in average health, with frequent stops (like me). You can climb 2 peaks on this route. Lots of rocks and boulders to cross. Great hike to wear your approach shoes on!
I came back via Blood lake, didn’t want to try and navigate the steep slopes down on the out/back route.

Early 7 am start. One hour each way. Cool at top with beautiful view. Bugs weren’t a problem. Get to parking lot before 7 am on weekday and spaces are available. Steep slippery conditions coming down a little hard on the knees.

Steep with numerous areas of loose gravel and dust. Views are spectacular - numerous lakes below on both sides of the trail. Flowers are in bloom, which is good, but with the flowers comes swarms of butterflies, bees and flies. Nothing was biting, but the constant "buzzing" sound got old.

I found a hat and sunglasses up near the top of Guardsman Pass on Sunday 7/8. If they are yours message me describing your items and I can get them back to you.

Bring BUG SPRAY!!! Bathe in it!!!! The sheer number of mosquitoes made this pretty miserable - I wouldn’t recommend but you do have nice views to the east and west. Loose rock combined with steep incline also knocked a star.

Tough, steep trail. Did this last week with a friend because we wanted to fit in a short, harder workout and this was perfect fit. Will probably do this one again with a less direct route via some of the lakes. Take bug spray!!!! As mentioned in prior review parking at Guardsman is usually crowded even during weekdays. Very nice at the top!

Definitely recommend summiting Clayton. It's not far once you complete 10,490. It just looks like it. The views at the top are rewarding!

Fun time on this trail today. Beginning section is very steep but do not let that stop you from trudging along. The first side peak you pass is definitely worth checking out! We came back the same way we came up and wish we connected the loop with blood lake because it was a slippery walk down

Steep, beautiful breezy hike, we connected with blood lake trail on the way back.
Small parking lot was full at 10am. We waited a few mins then parked alongside the main road, which was lined with 30+ cars. Returned to a nice row of cars with parking tickets, including ours...If you park alongside the road, make sure you are not over the white line!

Don’t be fooled by the short distance — this is a tough trail. Very steep. The final approach to Clayton Peak is basically scampering over boulders. Views are incredible!

Amazing views!

A quick drive from Salt Lake, dog friendly, extraordinary views. This hike delivers so much in just 2.5 miles.

For a more detailed review and some photos, check out the link below:

Great hike! Nice and short to bag a peak. Lots of snow on top though, up to my knees. I had poles that helped a lot, but forgot my spikes. I highly recommend you wear spikes!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Hiked over 10420 then up to Clayton. Dropped down to lake below guardsman on my way back to the parking lot. Took 2.5 hours, not too long but steep. Beautiful views of Timp and cottonwood canyon from Clayton.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Fun day hike and beautiful scenery. Hike up 10-420 is strenuous but pretty easy to the top of Clayton after that. Sketchy decent to Lakawaxan lake but nice hike back to guardsmen pass from there. Several non marked trail splits.....always choose left.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Took my 10 year old 7/9. We loved it. Very steep, but it's short so that makes up for it. The boulders to get to the actual peak are really fun. Beautiful views of Deer Creek, Jordanelle, and Brighton. There was still a couple patches of snow that allowed us to have a couple snowball fights. Lots of people up there on a weekend. You will more than likely have to park a ways from the trailhead.

Friday, July 07, 2017

We hiked from Guardsmans Pass up to Peak 420 and continued up to Clayton Peak. We came back down and around Bloods Lake. The total mileage was 3.2 miles but felt like 7 miles because it's pretty steep. I wouldn't suggest for little kids, Bloods Lake is a great one for kids. Overall this is a really pretty hike and will give you a good workout. Dogs love this hike too.. at least mine did!

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

6.29.17

This hike is beautiful. I would rate it as hard since the elevation gain. There was still some snow at the top, which my dogs loved. I absolutely will do this again.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The written overview doesn't match the map. There are two routes. The written one does start from the resort and you climb the south side of the peak. The route on the map starts from Guardsman Pass and you would follow the upper trail above the route to Bloods Lake, climb over peak 10400, then go down the saddle and up the west ridge of Clayton. I prefer the map route but if parking is not available at the pass, the second route is just fine as well.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

This is a beautiful quick climb to have mountain top views. The snow along the ridge, this time of year, offers a fun edge to the moderate skill level hike.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

The trail was breathtaking. It was steep at times, with a scramble at the end. I was amazed at how accessible the hike was. Well worth it

Thursday, October 20, 2016

What a great hike to bag a 10,000+ ft summit! Yes, this is a steep hike, but the trail is plenty wide and the views at the top are incredible. Did this about a week ago and there was a dabbling of snow at the top. The hike down (the south side) was a bit steep. My wife and I managed this hike with a 2 year old in a backpack and an 8 month old in a carrier.

Made this a loop by going down the south side of the summit (towards Clayton Peak) and dropping into the gulch below and passing by Bloods Lake.

Monday, October 17, 2016

We hiked this trail in mid-October and by the time we reached the top- it was really windy and had a few snow flurries. But it was well worth it given the magnificent views. You have great views of Brighton/Solitude, Mt. Timpanogos and down to Midway. The peak sits right on top of the Great Western Express lift from Brighton. We parked at the top of Guardsman Pass and hiked via 10,420 Peak and then continued on. The top of Clayton has a lot of rocks/boulders that you have to scurry over but nothing super technical or scary. A very accessible peak (about 1-1.5 hours) from Guardsman Pass.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Great hike with impressive views. The trailhead is very accessible from the Guardsmen Pass but as others have commented - it is steep right from the start. It is a short hike from the Guardsmen parking lot so we continued on to Clayton Peak (aka Majestic Peak). Clayton peak requires some scrambling over boulders but we had 4 thirteen year old boys in our group and they managed it no problem. You can also tack on a hike down to Lackawaxen lake and then Bloods lake. The top of Clayton provides amazing 360 views of the entire Wasatch range and sits in top of Brighton ski mountain and the Great Western Express comes almost to the top of Clayton.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Hiked this on the way to Lackawaxen Lake. Nice views

Sunday, September 04, 2016

JUST an FYI, If you are starting this trail from 224 (Guardsman's Pass) this is NOT a good trail for cross country skiing...

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great little hike, steeper than Mt. Timp trail! You can see almost all the ski lifts in the area and even cecret lake. Beautiful!