City Creek Canyon

City Creek Canyon is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

lots of great trails to follow

I have been hiking here for 3 years now. It's pretty easy to get to from the intersection of 11th Ave and B street. The hike is basically of 2 portions. The first one is a little over 3 miles and ends at the water treatment plant. The road is wide and the trek is not very steep at all. The second portion is about 2.5 miles and it starts at the water treatment plant. It's covered in snow during winter. The road is narrower and some steep drop offs on the right while going up. Some portions are a little steep but very manageable. The third portion of this hike is a dirt road which starts when you reach the end of the 5.5 mile hike.There are signs to be aware of cougars and bears. I have done this only once and I must say it's a little spooky. The stream runs right next to the dirt road and there is hardly anyone on this road. I must have walked about 3 miles and turned back but you can go further.

So great to have a paved trail into a pretty canyon in the winter! We walked up past mile marker 2 and really enjoyed the icy creek and beautiful mountains—and the quiet so close to downtown! The kids (15, 11, 9, and 7) all said they want to come back and do this hike again during other seasons.

great climb with easy access from downtown

Beautiful scenery, but can be a narrow path so careful with your kiddos.

Great trail, a few miles uphill & then connects to the BST where you can hike on for a few miles at relatively level elevation.

Trail is closed right now because of wildfires

You can see wild life if you pay attention. fun place and lots of shade.

This was a very beautiful train almost the entire way. We were only able to do 4.5 miles. I recommend this to everyone.

I've done the hike from the gate to the top a bunch of times. It's so close and convenient to the city.
It can be done all on the road. I prefer to take the trail on the left at about the first picnic spot. It continues to just short of the water treatment plant and then you have to take the road the rest of the way. Lots of shade with a few exposed stretches.
When I did it today (7/4) there was no water above the 12th picnic spot so fill up and take plenty.
There is lots of wildlife all up and down the canyon. Today I saw a turkey and a garter snake and a world of butterflies. I've seen coyotes, deer ,elk lots or birds, a bobcat and much more.
I'm 71 and can do the round trip in 31/2 hrs hiking time and just under 4hr total. . If I can do it you can too. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Nice spot for a variety of sports, very accessible. I run here occasionally.

So fun! It was perfect for my kids since the road is very gradual and more than half shaded in the morning. There are restrooms at the base of the canyon and also a little parking lot if you go up the road a little bit. It was great to hear the creek while you hike and we saw so many butterflies! There are picnic tables all the way up you can sit and rest at. We made it to #7 before we had to come back because of time constraints.

First time trail running in a couple years. The way up is a nice steady incline with plenty of flat spots on the way up. Lots of tree cover too! At 3 miles the trail runs out and merges onto a road. I took the road another mile and a half and then turned around. I hit the trail at around 4pm and hardly saw anyone else on the way up. I ran into a coyote on the trail and watched him for a bit. Saw two deer and a bunch of squirrels.

Pretty view of downtown at the beginning once you're at the top and pretty easy once you make it up the first steep hill.

Fantastic!

we actually went up another 2 miles..7.7 it was great discovered a section on the river where the water comes outta some cave looking ...Great scenery after you pass the end of the road pass tbe gate...at the end of the hike we did 15.4 and it was great..

I loved this!! I only went up 3 miles but it is gorgeous!!

Nice paved path to walk on. Easy hike. Nice and shaded most of the way.

We hiked the trail to the right of the river for 30 minutes then turned around. I had a 5 &2 year old and 7 month old in a sling. Watch for down hill bikers.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

we killed there and back in 4 hours.the last 1.3 miles we hiked in 1.5 feet of snow and during that we saw big cat tracks and towards the end was bear tracks..No one had been that far up since last snow storm..it was really nice for sure..

Monday, January 30, 2017

Great place to go for a run! Good for all skill levels and very scenic.

Saturday, January 07, 2017

This is a clean hike and could be hiked in just shoes or boots.

Monday, September 05, 2016

To clarify the description, there are two parallel paths here: The paved road, which is open to cars on even days, bikes on odd days, but always to pedestrians, (and is heavily used - If you walk/hike/run on the road, make sure you stay creekside (like all the huge signs tell you)), and the trail, which is just uphill to the NW. The trail still sees a lot of traffic, but not as much as the road. There are several places to access the trail - just look for any trail going uphill away from the creek and it should take you there. Dogs aren't allowed past the water treatment plan, roughly where the trail ends. Cycling is very nice all the way up 6 miles to Rotary Park. The nicest thing about the trail is that it gets more shade then most of the other trails in the area. The road is nice in that it puts you right next to the creek.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Paved road. Didn't see any indication of where the trail ends.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Did this a few years ago. Great for all ages

Monday, June 13, 2016

Nice and easy walk on paved road up City Creek trail with dog on leash. Great for strollers and bikes. Would do it again if looking for a short and easy hike.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Easy, paved trail along a beautiful creek. You can take the trail as far as you'd like; I only reached the 3.5 mile marker (after walking past some not-so-pretty government buildings), but the maps show the trail continuing for miles past that. Lots of picnic benches and pit toilets. I hiked around 7 am and it was nice and cool.
As I was leaving, an officer arrived and put out a sign stating that bikers were not allowed through August, if I remember correctly. However, before the officer arrived, there were a few bikers on the trail.
If you're nervous about wildlife, there were signs posted warning about recent black bear and cougar sightings.

Monday, June 06, 2016

it was awesome if you're in shape. I brought some of my friends along and they struggled a bit

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Probably my favorite trail to mountain bike; its paved, well maintained, and moderately trafficked, excellent for beginners, plenty of places to stop and rest and follows along the creek.

Monday, May 30, 2016

My dog loves the water so we hike around this area all the time. Nice and shady and pleasant, but pretty heavy traffic.