City Creek Canyon

City Creek Canyon is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Nice paved hike. Inclined at some areas but not bad

Beautiful! You can use the paved road that goes into the park. There are shaded areas, especially as it starts out. However there were a lot of mosquitoes, gathered around along the creek and anywhere there was standing water. Sometimes they were in swarms and relentless. The bikers could easily zoom through, but, as I was on foot, I ran through them! I did not have mosquito repellent on, so next time, I will be sure to use some! Otherwise very pretty area and views of the canyon.

City Creek is perfect for a progression workout if you’re a runner. The 3 miles of 600ft gain is manageable enough to run the entire way out. And you’re rewarded with a fun 3 miles back screaming down the canyon! Paved and very nicely shaded

it was fun and easy. not far from the city but far enough to get peace.

Simple, clear path with lots of trees. Running beside the creek, it's a pleasant walk with children. Parking is difficult. It's a lovely little getaway for an evening. Dogs were off-leash everywhere, one even jumped on our two-year-old, he didn't like that, but generally friendly. A beautiful easy hike for the family.

Very easy trail, with parking right by the trailhead.

Easy trails with beautiful scenery!

Great little hike to get outdoors for a bit

it's just a nice hike. hike this trail with my uncle 2 to 3 times a year

lots of great trails to follow

I have been hiking here for 3 years now. It's pretty easy to get to from the intersection of 11th Ave and B street. The hike is basically of 2 portions. The first one is a little over 3 miles and ends at the water treatment plant. The road is wide and the trek is not very steep at all. The second portion is about 2.5 miles and it starts at the water treatment plant. It's covered in snow during winter. The road is narrower and some steep drop offs on the right while going up. Some portions are a little steep but very manageable. The third portion of this hike is a dirt road which starts when you reach the end of the 5.5 mile hike.There are signs to be aware of cougars and bears. I have done this only once and I must say it's a little spooky. The stream runs right next to the dirt road and there is hardly anyone on this road. I must have walked about 3 miles and turned back but you can go further.

So great to have a paved trail into a pretty canyon in the winter! We walked up past mile marker 2 and really enjoyed the icy creek and beautiful mountains—and the quiet so close to downtown! The kids (15, 11, 9, and 7) all said they want to come back and do this hike again during other seasons.

great climb with easy access from downtown

Beautiful scenery, but can be a narrow path so careful with your kiddos.

Great trail, a few miles uphill & then connects to the BST where you can hike on for a few miles at relatively level elevation.

Trail is closed right now because of wildfires

You can see wild life if you pay attention. fun place and lots of shade.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

This was a very beautiful train almost the entire way. We were only able to do 4.5 miles. I recommend this to everyone.

Monday, July 03, 2017

I've done the hike from the gate to the top a bunch of times. It's so close and convenient to the city.
It can be done all on the road. I prefer to take the trail on the left at about the first picnic spot. It continues to just short of the water treatment plant and then you have to take the road the rest of the way. Lots of shade with a few exposed stretches.
When I did it today (7/4) there was no water above the 12th picnic spot so fill up and take plenty.
There is lots of wildlife all up and down the canyon. Today I saw a turkey and a garter snake and a world of butterflies. I've seen coyotes, deer ,elk lots or birds, a bobcat and much more.
I'm 71 and can do the round trip in 31/2 hrs hiking time and just under 4hr total. . If I can do it you can too. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Nice spot for a variety of sports, very accessible. I run here occasionally.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

So fun! It was perfect for my kids since the road is very gradual and more than half shaded in the morning. There are restrooms at the base of the canyon and also a little parking lot if you go up the road a little bit. It was great to hear the creek while you hike and we saw so many butterflies! There are picnic tables all the way up you can sit and rest at. We made it to #7 before we had to come back because of time constraints.

Monday, June 12, 2017

First time trail running in a couple years. The way up is a nice steady incline with plenty of flat spots on the way up. Lots of tree cover too! At 3 miles the trail runs out and merges onto a road. I took the road another mile and a half and then turned around. I hit the trail at around 4pm and hardly saw anyone else on the way up. I ran into a coyote on the trail and watched him for a bit. Saw two deer and a bunch of squirrels.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Pretty view of downtown at the beginning once you're at the top and pretty easy once you make it up the first steep hill.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Fantastic!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

we actually went up another 2 miles..7.7 it was great discovered a section on the river where the water comes outta some cave looking ...Great scenery after you pass the end of the road pass tbe gate...at the end of the hike we did 15.4 and it was great..

Sunday, May 28, 2017

I loved this!! I only went up 3 miles but it is gorgeous!!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Nice paved path to walk on. Easy hike. Nice and shaded most of the way.

Monday, May 01, 2017

We hiked the trail to the right of the river for 30 minutes then turned around. I had a 5 &2 year old and 7 month old in a sling. Watch for down hill bikers.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

we killed there and back in 4 hours.the last 1.3 miles we hiked in 1.5 feet of snow and during that we saw big cat tracks and towards the end was bear tracks..No one had been that far up since last snow storm..it was really nice for sure..