Chesler Park Loop Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(257)
Canyonlands National Park

Chesler Park Loop Trail [CLOSED] is a 16.7 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Monticello, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November.

Distance: 16.7 km Elevation Gain: 555 m Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

The best hike I’ve ever done! Views are otherworldly! Lots of elevation change but no upward hikes that last for a long time. If you are above 50 I wouldn’t suggest this hike unless you are in excellent shape. Lots of areas that require big steps up and some sketchy places getting down. I would rate it a hard hike just due to how long of a hike it is. It says 11.6 miles but ended up being about 14.6 for us (we did mess around and take pictures and what not). Do the loop clockwise, beautiful views in the open field and the easiest way through the joint trail. I would not recommend this hike when it’s hot outside.

Hiked on 3/14/20. Incredible hike with stunning views and diverse scenary. I would consider it a moderate but long hike - make sure to wear boots that are suitable for scrambling!

This was a great hike with lots of beautiful scenery. We made this hike in late January and the trail was mostly clear of snow with the exception of faces of rock hidden from the sun. There is a bit of a climb at the beginning and a cool narrows towards the middle. The views are amazing and the hike is definitely worth taking. My husband and I made this hike in just over four hours.

We only made it to Chester Park. If you want to do this in one day you must get an early start. We did it in deep snow so it took us a mile an hour so we decided to turn back at the Park. Out of this world views all along. I cannot wait to come back and do the whole thing one day!

We loved this trail. It is a great day hike. We had no trouble staying on route, follow the carins. It took us about 4 hours 45 minutes of hiking. We took the trail counter clockwise and had some of the harder climbs first. There is a rest area about half way in the trail. Perfect for a spot to get lunch and regroup. Restroom at the stop is a plus. Highly recommend this trail.

This is a long but extremely rewarding hike. It's kinda strange, because there is no summit, no great, dominating viewpoint, or such. It just steadily goes from one area of the park to the next. When I did it (end of October, the first day it had snowed in the year), there were no people around either, making it really feel like being at the end of the world. In total it took me about 4:45 hours - time well spent.

This was an amazing trail. One of the best trails I have hiked it has what some might a little challenging as far as scrambling over a few rocks. There is a cool slot canyon (that is what I call it) that is very long which you hike through as well as some prairie like fields you walk through. This is definitely a worthwhile hike!

We absolutely loved this trail. It was challenging but not harrowing, with views and surprises around every turn. Slot canyons! Stairs! And oh... those views! We found the trail to be fairly well-marked; once you learn to look for the cairns, they're pretty hard to miss. It took us about 6 hours to complete the loop trail (go counterclockwise). We saw a good number of kids and families on the out-and-back part, but the loop was fairly deserted and we loved it. Huge thanks to the AllTrails map, too — we used the 'record' feature to make sure we didn't get lost, and it was key. Biggest advice: pack plenty of water — even in winter. We're two fit 40-year-old women, and we each consumed 4 liters of water on a mild day in late October.

Amazing hike, other worldly scenery. This route is long, but large stretches are fairly flat. There are a few quick scrambles mixed in.

Such a beautiful hike the entire way. It just kept on changing and getting more sci fi the further we went.

Amazing interesting terrain hike up and down over rocks and boulders. There are signs marking the trail that I found was a little confusing! Watch for Anasazi ruins, you might miss unless you are not watching.

So much fun the entire time. Enjoy:)

I backpacked in to Chester 5 on Friday. It was about 80 degrees. It was 3.7 miles from the trail head to the camp site. I took 5.5 liters of water in the advice of the ranger and drank 2liters on my way in to the camp site. I drank another 1.5 at camp and for food rehydration. That left 2 liters for the hike out in the morning. There is no water in Chester and you have to bring in all your water. Water is very heavy! Every liter is 2lbs! The trail is strenuous. There were lots of nice slick Rock areas that were easy but also lots of places where you are scrambling up and down rocks. I dropped off my pack at the camp and took off to the joint. Pretty cool! It took 3hours from the trail head to Chester 5 camp and about the same time to go out. This is not the entire trail so estimate accordingly. As a note I thought about leaving by the Druid trail but backed out. This trail is boulders after the first half hour. I can’t see anyone who is not extremely fit being able to hike out this way.

There isn't one second during this hike when you aren't surrounded by spectacular beauty. The Joint section is short but cool. I did it counterclockwise and passed a lot of folks going in the opposite direction, so I can't say which way is better. The first part from the Elephant Hill trailhead is shared with the Druid Arch and Devil's Kitchen trails. None of the signs are specifically for the loop, so you need to do your homework and figure it out in advance, or have the AllTrails Ap working. Or both. It is long. I was really ready to be done by the time I got back to my car. I can't imagine combining the loop with Druid Arch, but I guess people do it. There is a lot of up and down, sometimes steep. The cairns are good, and there are obstacles placed to keep you from going off the trail, but there will be places where you have to look around a bit to figure out the right way to go. Going off the trail is bad for your health and the health of the desert.

Overnight with wife - awesome scenery, strenuous, but not too long. Camped at CP5 which was secluded and very peaceful. One piece of advice - take LOTS of water. We thought we brought enough but ran out the next morning and hiked out early to avoid the heat.

Did this with my wife, both 70 y/o and took us 7 hours to complete the 11.4 miles. The first 3 miles were strenuous and difficult in areas, but doable taking our time. We did the loop counter clockwise and it was also strenuous and difficult in areas for a couple miles until the access road to the Joint. Hiking the joint was incredible. Completing the Loop back to the Druid Arch Trail was flat and an easy trail. We enjoyed the views, the challenges, and were pretty well “gassed” when we finished. We would do it again it was that great.

Hiked it in September. Weather was perfect. Flowers were lovely. I was a bit winded at the end but I wish I had stayed overnight. Jealous of the people that packed in. One of my favorite places now. I would do it again 100 times. I wish I had gotten a little more lost and walked it a little more slow.