Cherry Canyon to Outlaw Cabin

Cherry Canyon to Outlaw Cabin is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pepperwood Terrace, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Pretty steep to begin with, but gets easy about half way up. I did lone peak via Jacobs ladder one week prior, so this was a lot easier in comparison. Hit snow at probably 8000 feet. Cabin is pretty cool though and worth it. Water in a few places too, so no need to overpack. Saw that guys big daddy pizza box too. Ha

The hike up is fairly steep with lots of switchbacks. Good views and break spots. Brought a 24" Big Daddies Pizza up, so it was a little tougher than probably needed. The cabin is in average condition with lots of tools and materials inside if needed. Left the front of the pizza box as art in the cabin. Jove cut his foot, which wasn't very cool, but overall the hike was cool.

Went early this morning from Orson Smith Trailhead up Cherry Canyon. First four miles up are fairly relentless and the scenery is average at best. According to my Garmin the Outlaw cabin was 5.5 miles from Orson parking lot. There is a spring with decent water flow around mile 4 and that is the only drinkable water I saw, everything else was dry. I kept going to Enniss Peak and down Jacobs Ladder. Total trip was approx 11 miles and 3:45 with stops. The cabin is in good shape with left over water, matches, emergency blankets, wood, etc. Very cool hike and will do again.

Me and my 71 year old father decided to start up the lone peak trail at 8:30 and just hike for a couple of hours then turn back. Well, we got greedy and decided to go for the Outlaw Cabin we had heard about. Amazing hike. Beautiful views, nice and cool for much of the day. It took us five hours to get there, with lots of breaks along the way. The cabin is real and is pretty cool. Yes, there is a Book of Mormon inside. We drank straight from the clear steam that runs close by. The hike down took longer than expected. Even though the Cherry Canyon trail is supposed to be less steep and easier than Jacob’s Ladder, it’s still steep enough in many parts that we had to slow down. We only had three cliff bars so got pretty tired towards the end of the day. And the heat at the lower elevations wore on us quite a bit. But we made it. Next time we’ll prepare a bit better. Well, next time we’ll try to summit Lone Peak. Highly recommend this hike!

Overall a tough hike. Is there really a cabin up there? I went 4.5 miles in, trail became snow covered and a little sketchy. Turned back, disappointment to not see the cabin or anything else up there. Other hikers in front of me seemed to vanish in the ether, no footsteps in the snow, no other obvious trail routes, puzzling

Super awesome trail, definitely a dig but the views are gorgeous!

Monday, August 07, 2017

This is the trail I took to Lone Peak, so the cabin served as a solid stopping point to adjust my pack and eat a solid lunch. The only part of this trail I actually enjoyed was when it finally came into Bear Canyon, a little over 4 miles in. The first four miles were mind-numbing, exposed, and full of terribly steep, washed-out switchbacks which seems to defeated purpose of switchbacks (to provide a bit of stable relief from steepness and to protect the conditions of the trails). The trail crosses 3 water sources, which is great for a hot day, and Bear Canyon is stunning. The cabin itself is spooky at most but has sadly been pretty trashed. If you're going to do this trail, you may as well pick up the trail on the South side of the cabin and go on to Lone Peak to feel like you've really accomplished something.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

The trail is a very good trail. Wide, very little rock and tree stumps and only a couple of downed trees. When you to high enough to get into the trees it's very beautiful. Great view of Salt Lake, Utah County and of coarse the amazing granite spires of Lone Peak and the surrounding area. The cabin currently has a new American Flag to celebrate Independence Day. Returned down the Trail of the Eagle for a great loop hike

Thursday, July 06, 2017

last Sunday hike was good.ran out of water coming back down. took 3 liters should have filled up at the several springs crossing the trail. very hot at lower alt. up high, high 70's to low 80's with light to moderate wind. great day!

Saturday, July 29, 2017