Cherry Canyon to Outlaw Cabin

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(60)
Draper Park

Cherry Canyon to Outlaw Cabin is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Draper, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.

Length11.2 miElevation gain4,599 ftRoute typeOut & back

Photos (479)
Recordings (54)
Completed (235)
Jim Allison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 5, 2021
View Jim's Recording
Mark G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 12, 2020
View Mark's Recording
Stephen Craig
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 16, 2020
Hiking

We had two cars, so we went up Jacob’s Ladder (very steep) and then down Cherry Canyon (quite long). About 14 miles total. Tough hike. But the cirque as you approach the Peak was one of the most majestic scenes I’ve seen anywhere. I’ll definitely do it again some time.

View Stephen's Recording
Tyler Black
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Very solid hike. The first few miles are a vertical slog without any shade, and there isn’t much to look at. The last mile and a half to the Cabin are quite nice, with some shade and really pretty flowers. I brought a little over a gallon of liquids with me and drank all of it. I hiked from about 11am-5pm, I’d suggest starting earlier or later than I did to avoid the sun.

Erik Gumbrecht
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Loved the hike. Not much coverage, and it is difficult...but worth the satisfaction. Very slippery trail to come down due to kitty litter style gravel. Bring some nice hiking shoes.

Kevin Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

Challenging, fun, beautiful, well maintained trail. Not for the faint of heart. Bring lots and lots of water and food!

View Kevin's Recording
Jeff Noyce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
Hiking

Went up Cherry Canyon on 5/30. All the way to outlaw cabin, went up the north ascent to lone peak about half a mile or so and turned around. Still snow, maybe doable but not worth it since I was by myself. Great hike, it is a beast of a trail, I descended dow trail of the eagle. Bring lots of water! I consumed about 2.5 liters and wish I had a little more! You could easily take some from little willow creek however as it is pure run off right now. Logged 13 miles and 5300 feet of elevation gain. Was about one mile short of the summit. Not for the novice, come prepared, water, water, food, sunscreen and a I can do it mentality!

Kevin Jemison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 17, 2020
HikingRockySnow

I'm your average "Geek off the street" and have NEVER gone hiking before. My 12yr old son and I really wanted to gather a Geocache here so we took the trek on May 17th. We started our journey at 7am and chose to take Trail of the Eagle up and made it within 1/3 mile to the cabin. The snow was still too deep and didn't want to take any more chances, so we then ventured down Cherry Canyon. We finished around 6pm and so proud of our accomplishment. Jeremy V... ANY geek off the street CAN make this journey, and we did it in Vans!

Jeremy V
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2020
HikingIcyNo shadeRockyScramble

This hike is pretty hard. You can't be any geek off the street, and you definitely need to turn Beast Mode ON. If you go to the cabin it's definitely a good idea to bring your spikes and poles for the north side closer to the top. Slippery gravel on the way down.

View Jeremy 's Recording
Abbe Waung
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 8, 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow

I only got a little taste of this hike due to snow and pretty rough winds. I am definitely going to come back and finish it, because I need to see that pizza box. The hike I did was mostly switchbacks, I did go off trail at the end of my time available and climbed it. I do look forward to coming back during better weather and completing the full 11 miles.

View Abbe's Recording
Tom Richards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 18, 2020
HikingSnow
View Tom's Recording
Frank Huebel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2019
HikingWashed out

Lower trail has some significant water erosion, it is easily passable.

View Frank's Recording
Doc Dugen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2018
Hiking

Pretty steep to begin with, but gets easy about half way up. I did lone peak via Jacobs ladder one week prior, so this was a lot easier in comparison. Hit snow at probably 8000 feet. Cabin is pretty cool though and worth it. Water in a few places too, so no need to overpack. Saw that guys big daddy pizza box too. Ha

Nels Rasmussen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2018
Hiking

The hike up is fairly steep with lots of switchbacks. Good views and break spots. Brought a 24" Big Daddies Pizza up, so it was a little tougher than probably needed. The cabin is in average condition with lots of tools and materials inside if needed. Left the front of the pizza box as art in the cabin. Jove cut his foot, which wasn't very cool, but overall the hike was cool.

Bryan Osborn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 22, 2018
Running

Went early this morning from Orson Smith Trailhead up Cherry Canyon. First four miles up are fairly relentless and the scenery is average at best. According to my Garmin the Outlaw cabin was 5.5 miles from Orson parking lot. There is a spring with decent water flow around mile 4 and that is the only drinkable water I saw, everything else was dry. I kept going to Enniss Peak and down Jacobs Ladder. Total trip was approx 11 miles and 3:45 with stops. The cabin is in good shape with left over water, matches, emergency blankets, wood, etc. Very cool hike and will do again.

Chris Keller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 3, 2018
Hiking

Me and my 71 year old father decided to start up the lone peak trail at 8:30 and just hike for a couple of hours then turn back. Well, we got greedy and decided to go for the Outlaw Cabin we had heard about. Amazing hike. Beautiful views, nice and cool for much of the day. It took us five hours to get there, with lots of breaks along the way. The cabin is real and is pretty cool. Yes, there is a Book of Mormon inside. We drank straight from the clear steam that runs close by. The hike down took longer than expected. Even though the Cherry Canyon trail is supposed to be less steep and easier than Jacob’s Ladder, it’s still steep enough in many parts that we had to slow down. We only had three cliff bars so got pretty tired towards the end of the day. And the heat at the lower elevations wore on us quite a bit. But we made it. Next time we’ll prepare a bit better. Well, next time we’ll try to summit Lone Peak. Highly recommend this hike!

Mark Medina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 19, 2018
Hiking

Overall a tough hike. Is there really a cabin up there? I went 4.5 miles in, trail became snow covered and a little sketchy. Turned back, disappointment to not see the cabin or anything else up there. Other hikers in front of me seemed to vanish in the ether, no footsteps in the snow, no other obvious trail routes, puzzling

Clint Christofferson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 17, 2018
Running

Super awesome trail, definitely a dig but the views are gorgeous!

Olivia Tipton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2017

This is the trail I took to Lone Peak, so the cabin served as a solid stopping point to adjust my pack and eat a solid lunch. The only part of this trail I actually enjoyed was when it finally came into Bear Canyon, a little over 4 miles in. The first four miles were mind-numbing, exposed, and full of terribly steep, washed-out switchbacks which seems to defeated purpose of switchbacks (to provide a bit of stable relief from steepness and to protect the conditions of the trails). The trail crosses 3 water sources, which is great for a hot day, and Bear Canyon is stunning. The cabin itself is spooky at most but has sadly been pretty trashed. If you're going to do this trail, you may as well pick up the trail on the South side of the cabin and go on to Lone Peak to feel like you've really accomplished something.

Breck Tuttle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2017
Backpacking

The trail is a very good trail. Wide, very little rock and tree stumps and only a couple of downed trees. When you to high enough to get into the trees it's very beautiful. Great view of Salt Lake, Utah County and of coarse the amazing granite spires of Lone Peak and the surrounding area. The cabin currently has a new American Flag to celebrate Independence Day. Returned down the Trail of the Eagle for a great loop hike

George Rawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2017
First to Review

last Sunday hike was good.ran out of water coming back down. took 3 liters should have filled up at the several springs crossing the trail. very hot at lower alt. up high, high 70's to low 80's with light to moderate wind. great day!

Ankur Garg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 20, 2020
View Ankur's Recording
Ankur Garg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 26, 2020
View Ankur's Recording